Where to go in the Carribean

May 25th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in the Carribean

We are thinking of going to the Carribean in July/2004 for 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. We have 2 children, ages 7 and 12, who love anything to do with water. Which part of the Carribean do you recommend? I am leaning toward the 7 mile beach area of the Cayman Islands but afraid it might be too touristy. Top priority is the beach and family friendly resorts/hotels. Is July considered low season? Does anyone know why? Thanks for your advice in advance.
May 30th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Hi, my wife and I visit several times a year a remote little place on Long Island, Bahamas, that has a page something like, www.chizpierrebahamas.com Check it out, but about all they have is beautiful empty beaches, and excellent fishing. My wife likes to bob in and out of the water all day, but I would recommend you rent a car and visit the ocean beaches on the windward side of the island, which is almost totally undeveloped and incredibly beautiful. Long Island is very freindly, laid back and undeveloped. You will enjoy. Curt
May 31st, 2004, 09:24 AM

Check out Banyan Beach Hotel in the Bahamas.They are right on one of the 10 best beaches in the world (according to national geographic).I have two girls 13,14 who also love the beach so we booked a condo there last week of June first week of July.This certainly has to be less expensive than the Cymans. You get a full kitchen,living room,your own bedroom,grill, etc It's definately not to touristy as it has only 23 rooms.
May 31st, 2004, 11:10 AM

Caribbean Travel & Life magazine readers just voted the Cayman Islands top in the Caribbean for both snorkelling and diving, so you are right on track with looking at Cayman.

As regards 7 mile beach being too touristy.... it could well be, but I am a little biased (frequent readers here know I run one of the resorts "off the beaten track" in Cayman)

July is low season in the Caribbean, a combination of the fact that a) it is hotter than the winter months and b) a Caribbean vacation is more in demand on a snowy day in Chicago in January that a summer weekend in (say) Maine.

Cayman is more expensive than some islands, but I would say still excellent value for money.

You mention you are looking at 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. Many properties in Cayman are offering "Every 5th night free" as a promo off their summer rates this year, so a ten day stay in a 2BD oceanfront condo could cost as little as US$2500, and if you go for a 1BD condo for a family of 4, that would be around US$1850.

(These are the prices for my resort, but these would be fairly consistent with numerous resorts with condo accommodations in Cayman, so I am just giving an indication of prices that I think you would agree are most reasonable)

Hmm actually just researched Banyan Beach club and yes, Cayman is less expensive... just doing my bit to clear up misperceptions... now, if anyone wants to throw out stuff about Cayman being for money laundering and tax evasion (not so , I'd be happy to address that too !

May 31st, 2004, 02:03 PM

Tom, you should have also mentioned that according to Sharon Mariner of Caribbean Travel and Life magazine's annual "Best of the Caribbean" reader poll (2004), Treasure Cay, home of Banyan Beach Club, made "best beach" in the entire caribbean.
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Why is July low season? If I assume you really don't know then it could be because the main draw to these islands is a warm weather spot in the winter time.In summer there are thousands of beach resorts to flock to in the U.S..
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Where are you leaving from? Have you thought about Negril Jamaica? We just got back from there about 2 weeks ago. It was wonderful- very relaxing & the people were great. It is even more beautiful than pictures show. We stayed at Beaches Negril but there are many other choices for various budgets. You can go all inclusive or not. The water is wonderful & so is the beach. I enjoyed snorkeling but was too chicken to try parasailing. Maybe next time. It is a very kid friendly place. Try going to www.negril.com to check out info & their message board.
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Am I correct it is off season because it is also hurricane season?
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:48 AM

The summer (July) is not hurricane season. It is off season because it is summer in N.A. Is is true that GC is lovely but it is VERY pricey. If money is no object then it is fone but eating out otherwise will result in sticker shock. Another alternative is Aruba. The weather is temperate all yr. long and the water is clear, the beaches are long and per that readres poll in C T+L mag. it is the top destination and has the most friendly people. HAving been there twice in the past 4 yrs. I agree. Also eating out is much less that GC. There are many AI'S in the Carib. and Mexico that are family and kid friendly as well. A good bang for you buck is the Dom. republic. Look into the many resorts there as well. Good luck, Larry
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Also, poster 1111 has an axe to grind about the Bahamas. He is rather infamous on this forum. Technically the Bahamas are in the Atlantic, not the Carib. However there are many great places there as well and it is a top tourist destination for sun in the sun.
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Hurrican season runs from June 1 to November 30 -- the peak is early September but there have certainly been July storms in the past.