Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where can 26 people have fun, sit on the beach, and not go broke?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a family trip for 26 people. Original destination was Cancun, but it's cost-prohibitive for some people -- a few families have four teenage kids and would have to pay for six adults. (Yikes!)

We're open to almost anything, but just want to feel like we're really getting AWAY. Everyone will be traveling from NJ (PHL airport). Anywhere we could go with cheap direct flights, nice budget hotels, safe and friendly, and has enough to keep the littler kids entertained? Any stateside suggestions are welcome too, as long as we're not too close to home! I know there must be a solution I'm overlooking.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Take a look at the Sunscape Resorts in the Dominican Republic. They are very family-friend, all-inclusive and still affordable. Many of my family travel clients have enjoyed and returned to these resorts - it is possible for 2 adults to spend a week at these resorts with all-inclusive accommodations and airfare and ground transportation for less than $1000 per person. Kid sand teenagers often get discounted and pro-rated rates, depending on their age. Some of the families might stay a shorter time during the longer family trip if budget is a real concern. There is always a solution to the family trip and budget question.

There are lots of activities for all ages - good children's programs, good adult activities, nice swimming pools. There is enough for everyone to have their personal time, but also family time, too.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Cvechko

What month are you planning the trip for? That makes a difference in cost.

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Absolutely, have to agree with the Sunscape resorts in the D.R...There is Sunscape the Beach with the largest pool I have ever seen in Punta Cana.. and then my favorite... Sunscape Casa del Mar in La Romana with a lovely blue caribbean beach.. Sounds like Julia and I are "repeaters".. Not only are they affordable compared to Cancun, but the staff are friendly, accomodating, the two resorts are immaculate (no,I don't work for them)..and make y ou feel at home... For the teenagers there is pizza, burgers and enough food to keep them going 24 hours a day, not to mention all sorts of planned or unplanned activities... If you want my reviews write to me at [email protected]
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

We're planning the trip for May '07. Sunscape the Beach was actually one of our two "finalists" (along with Grand Oasis in Cancun). Julia or ParrotMom, do either of you know how much the rate drops when you have four adults to a room? Or 2 adults and 2 kids? I tried to price-check on Sunscape's website but there's either a bug, or they really don't have a single room available between now and June '07. (I'm leaning towards the bug.)
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Another thought - you might try renting a couple villas. We did so in barbados - used IslandHideaways. The house we rented held 12 or more - perhaps you could rent two side by side. Whit the house you get cooks, maides, gardeners, etc.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Sunscape is owned in part by Apple..try contacting Apple for rates.. I have no idea how much the rates drop.. as an alternative try Sunscape Casa del Mar... not as spread out..but for the four of you .. I would check The Beach.. especially with teenagers..