What's wrong with St. Lucia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our honeymoon for July 2011 and are SO undecided on where to go. We almost decided on Antigua and I think we would love Grenada (but the airfare and travel is too much) Now we are looking at St. Lucia...the flight is direct and inexpensive. It seems to have everything we want in a vacation, but I have been reading a lot of negative comments (on several travel forums) I can't figure out how it sounds so great, but people say it was their least favorite island??? Even if you love St. Lucia, what is it that other people may not like about it? Bad restaurants? Overcrowded? Bad beaches? Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:51 AM

I have not been there myself, but my friend went there and said the beaches were not good and the people not very friendly. Again, this is not my opinion, beacause I have not been, but this is what my friend said. She won't go back.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I like St. Lucia. I'll add a link to my trip report on here for you for more details but basically I found it a very friendly island.

The people in the market in Castries were very friendly, we stayed in an apartment owned by a local and they were the fantastic hosts; helpful but not hovering and generally we were greeted by smiles.

It is less 'Americanised' than some islands so there might not always be 5* service and if the menu says cooked to order expect that to be on Caribbean time!
Beaches were fine (not Anguilla perfect but good enough).
Ocean is darker blue not bright turquoise
Snorkeling is pretty good

I'd go back

http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...a-295173-2.cfm
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM

The island is beautiful; because it does not have T&C white sand beaches does not make it less beautiful, only different. The area around the Pitons is stunning, Anse Chastenet for example has a lovely beige sand beach and is great for snorkeling. Ti Kaye at Anse Cochon is also very lovely, with steps down to a wonderful beach also great to snorkel. You rarely get everything, if the island is mountainous and has rain forests the chances are the beaches will not be white sand. If the island is flat and dry chances are the beaches are white sand. St Lucia is not a well-off island, this might account for some negative comments. The roads are windy and potholed in places. Food is great though, have not had a bad meal.

Some locals are a bit unfriendly but quite frankly it does not bother me. Every island has it's own personality and I don't try to rate one against another as I like all the Caribbean islands I've been to. Would I go back - definitely and have already been few times.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM

We are one of those couples that do NOT like St Lucia. Bad beaches and the water was so high that you couldn't lounge on the beach. The driving makes a lot of people ill, it takes a long time to get around, the people were not friendly, a bad sandflea problem and the only theft problem we've ever had in the Caribbean. Also, lots of rain. And, if you lose your luggage, they don't want to do the paperwork. They want you to wait and see if the luggage comes in on another flight!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 06:28 AM
KVR

We loved St. Lucia. It's a very beautiful Island with greenry, flora, fauna, mountians, and waterfalls. The sight seeing is great and we had a very nice vacation. With that said, I do agree some with Knowing. It is not a beach destination if that is what you are looking for. The sand is coarse and brown, the water a deep sapphire blue. They have black sand beachs also. Reminded me of Hawaii and we didn't like Hawaii at all. We didn't find the locals at the craft market all that friendly and over joyed to see us, but in it's postive they were not harassing or agressive. I thought is was funny they charged 50 cents for toliet paper to use the bathroom. They also have a duty free shopping complex that we enjoyed.

The roads are very long and winding. If you are prone to car sickness, then you will not like it. We loved it. Talk about getting the 50 cent tour just by driving all over the Island. We did a full day Island tour land and sea and saw several areas. It was worth it to us. We also did a full day jeep tour. We found the guides on our tours very accomendating and helpful. We went in a Novermber and it did rain alot. It wasn't one of those down pours, but just light showers that would not let up. We had a 1/2 day of sun our entire vacation. However, we went in November 2005, when Hurricane Wilma came through and hit Mexico really bad and the other Carribean Islands were expereincing the after effects of that. Did it ruin our trip? No, we still swim in the pools and ocean and did our tours with no problems. We did not have any issues with sand fleas.

I have heard more than once about theft. We stayed at Sandals Grande and no issues there. Pidgeon Point park was down the street from us and we walked there. Just gorgeus. I feel that St. Lucia is one of those destinations if you want to appreciate an Island's great beauty. I did feel more comfortable staying in an upper end hotel (though I didn't really care for Sandals in general) and taking guided tours of the Island. And if we ever returned, which we would love to if it wasn't so expensive, we would do the same. St. Lucia is not a destination I would want to stay in some little hotel and drive a rental car, but that is us and that is our opinion. Many people do that. We are looking into Costa Rica for a future trip. From what we have read it sounds a lot like St. Lucia in many ways. We love scenery and picturequse Islands.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM

KVR have you been to Kauai too? How would you say the beaches in St. Lucia compared to the north shore beaches on Kauai? Were they better or worse than Kauai's?
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM

The water in Kauai is colder than in St Lucia; in Kauai it is hard to get a proper swimming beach, whereas in St Lucia it is easy to swim in the water eg Anse Cochon & Chastenet and Reduit Beach (a white sand beach) to name a few. Coarse sand and dark blue water doesn't prevent swimming or snorkeling. Didn't find any issues with driving a rental car or the long and windy roads but that depends on what you are already used to, I agree it is best to stay at a better establishment and it is all about the beautiful scenery, it's not an island to everyone's taste.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
KVR

I have been to Maui and Oahu. Not Kauai. However, from research I would go to Kauai as a scenic sightseeing destination and not for their beaches. For us, after being to many Caribbean Islands and Mexico, Hawaii's beaches just can not compare.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM

I am also one of those people that do not like St. Lucia and I have to agree with Knowing.
Yes, the island is beautiful..snorkeled many times but compared to a lot of places the water is murky and we really did not see much even on a snorkel excursion.
It seemed like we were always getting hit up for money...even the cab driver that took us back to the airport...they claimed it was for school funds. The beach vendors were another reason...can't enjoy the beach because they constantly hounded us and believe me, they do not all take no for an answer.
We were at a Rex resort and were also victims of theft...and I know our room was locked..I always lock it..I had valuables locked up but they stole clothes from our closet and clean clothes from our drawers...mgt. would no do anything. It was also a very long drive from the airport and we did not feel safe enough to rent a car and get out and about.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM

The Pitons are fabulous. Marigot Bay BEAUTIFUL. There are many, many wonderful places to see on this island - nope - the water may not be aqua with flour like beaches like Anguilla/Turks.....but it is a beautiful place. I've stayed at the Sandals Grande - and Rodney Bay - and Anse Chastenet - I would love to stay (at least dine) at Ladera or Jade Mountain....hmmm - what amotsphere are you looking for?