Search

Bonaire or St Lucia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonaire or St Lucia

Hi All:

We are deciding on a 7-day trip for March and have narrowed it down to either Bonaire or St Lucia but would like other peoples thoughts on which is a better choice.
We really want 1) good beaches, 2) safe 3) and the best possible snorkeling from the beach (lots of colorful fish, etc) 4) lush.
I know that Bonaire is arid so, if that were the choice, we would spend a few days in Puerto Rico to take care of the lush part. I was in Turks Caicos and Anguilla last year and loved both but, want to try some new destinations before returning to either. THANKS.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Ithacles-

First, let me say that I'm a huge Bonaire fan. I've been five times over the past few years because I love the amazing reefs, the ease of the shore diving and the beautiful, arid landscape. I haven't been to St. Lucia. Here are my thoughts:

Bonaire is wonderful, but if you are set on good beaches, Bonaire might not be the place for you. There are only a few sand beaches on the island, and they aren't the long ribbons of soft white sand that you find in Anguilla. They are white sand mixed with coral chunks.

The snorkeling is very good, and the diving is fantastic. The people are great; there are number of good restaurants; and the contrast of desert-like scenerey (think wild goats and donkeys, giant cacti, etc.) next to deep blue water is gorgeous. Check out BonaireTalk.net (I think that's the address) for tons of postings from Bonaire travellers. Basically, it's a low-key, casual place with great diving. It's loved by many people, but if you want gorgeous beaches, it might not fulfill your fantasy.

Have you looked into the Bahamian island of Eleuthra?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM

The snorkeling on Bonaire is ideal and it sounds like a better choice for you. However, when people talk about good beaches, safety and watersports, GC is usually a pretty popular place and easy to reach from everywhere. Was that an island you decided against?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:32 PM
LJB

I've been to Bonaire and St. Lucia and for snorkling, Bonaire wins. Neither of them have great beaches. St. Lucia's are small and brown, Bonair has lots of coral, hence the good snorkling. Bonair is arid, St. Lucia is lush. I felt a bit safer toodling around Bonaire, but I cannot really compare them fairly, because we drove ourselves around Bonaire and stayed in an AI in St. Lucia with only one day trip to see the rest of the island. Bonaire's waters are a protected sanctuary, we compare all our snorkling trips to Bonair and Bonair always wins.