Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What's the deal on crime in Harbour Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading some of the recent (2006) reports of folks being burgled while in cottage rentals, teen gangs (gangs on Harbour Island??!!),young women being drugged...

I'm not a big resort kind of person and was hoping to either rent a cottage or stay in a boutique hotel/ B&B.

What's going on? From older articles the island seemed crime free and very laid back. But has it changed? Is the crime really that bad?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:41 AM

I think it's been said by many posters that crime is everywhere. Not just Jamaica, not just St. John. I don't think holing up in a resort for fear of crime is my idea of a vacation either. I do think it's a world-wide epidemic with our teenagers and young people these days. Of course, we've always had packs of bad eggs in every generation, but it seems that the prevalence of drugs, alcohol and violent behavior is on the rise everywhere. What are we adults "not" doing to allow this to happen. It's a scary trend and IMO, we have nowhere to look but ourselves for blame and solutions.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I used to think that Harbour Island was a tiny paradise. It reminded me a bit of Bermuda. That being said, mass media and tourism and the drug trade have fueled crime, even in what used to be isolated places. If you stay at a hotel or B&B, you will be fine and your travels should not take you to these pockets.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I know the reason for the high crime rate in Jamaica... and everybody here knows what needs to be done...but nobody's willing to do it.

It's sad indeed.The last little slices of heaven in the Caribbean are being invaded by this sick plague.:'(
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM

JAGIRL: I love your expressive posts. Isn't it horrible the way most of the community knows what's wrong and what needs to be done. Then, the folks most capable of doing something about won't? I try to work with community groups and support community efforts through participation and funding, and it can be depressing sometimes feeling like it's an uphill battle. You look in back of you and the others are retreating back into the bush. All evil needs to succeed is for good people to stand by and do nothing. Anyways, I had read MarionCk's glowing reports re: Harbour Island and it's definitely still on my list of places to go.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Just to clarify Tux...I have had a desire to go to Harbour Island and tried to make something happen last February with a house rental. But it never happened, not for lack of my trying.

It is "love the sun " ( formerly known as Tweedy) who is the expert on Harbour Island. She was most helpful to me last year and contributes in a very positive way on this board.

I'm sure she'll reply to this post and offer her expert opinion.

I'd still like to visit Harbour Island, but anything requiring a water taxi is out of the question right now ;-)

Marion
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

I think Marion means "wantsomesun"?

Oh hey Marion...hope that glue-stick-reminder clears up soon.

Are you ever going to try renting a villa again Marion?

I'm still planning on going there in June...no villa though. The Landing or Bahama House for me.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:56 AM

Yes, JAGirl it is "wantsomesun"

My computer screen has *shrunk* and I can't use the search function anymore ;-(

I knew it wasn't right, so thanks !

I have two weeks scheduled in November and five weeks in February...all in villas respresented by Tiverton !!

I may not be able to "walk good", but I can "travel better"

Marion
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM

Thanks gang for the nice thoughts. I have been going to Harbour Island since 1986 and find it a slice of paradise, but fortunately and unfortunately alot of other people have found the island as well, including a small bit of crime. It is rare though still since there are only 2,000 residents on island, and quite honestly the problem is people coming on island as day trippers.

All the hotels on island have inroom safes available for valuables, and as far as staying in villas, I suggest not taking much of value with you so you don't have a problem. I have never had a problem on island and I am known to walk around the island all times of day and night. Dawn over the ocean there is amazing. The teen gangs on island are not possible. Parents there are very concerned about their children, and the Constable on island knows every family and child so if there are any problems on island they are taken care of immediately.

As in any island location or vacation location be aware of what is going on around you.

The people of Harbour Island are the most genuine I have ever met in any travels, and they welcome the opportunity to share their little slice of paradise with you.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.