Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What would be a good gift for someone to bring you from the Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:44 AM
SandyFeet

I'm going to visit Canada and would like to take friends some small gifts. Besides the usual - rum, t-shirt - what kind of gift would you like? I got some good ideas from another thread, like a cookbook, but does it matter if it's not made in the island you're coming from?<BR>Hot sauce?<BR>Sand in a pretty bottle too weird?<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Nancy

I like to bring back the hot sauces too(but some are too hot for my friends <BR>I also get them the little ankle bracelets that the beach vendors sell made out of hematite.<BR>Sometimes, the island will be known for something, like spices on Grenada, or wood carving. Some islands have people who make clay pots, weave gorgeous baskets or make their own honey with the labor of the island bees and the beautiful flowers. <BR>You can almost always find something unique. For me, something that is fascinating in St. Kitts after about 3 rum punches - like a t shirt of Heile Selassie - does not look right on me when I get back to the states, so I try to do my gift shopping for others when I have not been partaking of alcohol.<BR>If sand doesn't work out, I also like to get little magnets or prints with pictures of the blue water and palms. Looks pretty good around February!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:08 PM
greedy

bull. Bring gems, rum and round-trip tickets.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:26 PM
s

You're gonna visit CANADA ???? in the Caribbean ?????<BR>What ??????

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:51 AM
SandyFeet

Thanks guys!<BR><BR>Yes, S, I live in the Caribbean and am going to Canada <BR><BR>One can only take so much sun and sand you know!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Statia

I know what you mean, Sandy Feet. I, too, look forward to a blast of cool air now and then. If you don't mind my asking, where abouts are you in our little island chain?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Sandy Feet

Hi Statia,<BR><BR>I live in Anguilla.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Statia

Well howdy neighbor. Guess you know where I live.