Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What will early 20's couple enjoy in Negril?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Negril for the first time and staying at Blue Cave Castle and the Rockhouse.

We're an adventurous couple, and love to discover things off the beaten path. We also try to avoid cheesy tourist traps. Any advice for what we should and shouldn't do during our stay?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:58 AM

First, you're going to LOVE Negril! I'm a little curious why you've chosen 2 cliff properties for your stay? I just ask because many people split their time between the beach and cliffs. I don't think I've heard of anyone splitting time on the cliffs - not that there is anything wrong with it. My only thought is that (in my experience) the cliffs are more secluded and serene. The beach is more lively. Not saying one is better than the other just thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, I'm a little older than you (early 30s) so our tastes and interests might be a little different. First, there are so many great restaurants in Negril! I'm a bit more familiar with beach restaurants however. When we stayed on the cliffs we really didn't leave the property much. We really liked Best in the West, Norma's and CoCo La Palm. Of course I loved the patties, but I'm not sure where you get those off the beach. Maybe someone else can advise.

Jamaica isn't much of a shopping destination which didn't bother me much, but if you're looking for something slightly different (less kitschy/more artsy) Jamaica Janes is a cute (more upscale) gift shop with nice Caribbean art.

There are many many excursions you can take from Negril with numerous tour groups. The most recommended here is Talk of the Town. They're very nice and easy to chat with. If you tell them your interests they can usually guide you to a good tour.

I think that's about all I can think of at the moment. Search the forum and read through others trip reports to get some good tips. Negril is a fun place!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM

I love Blue Cave Castle

Lots to do, what are your interests, specifically?

Waterfalsl, hiking, biking, eating, drinking, beaching, snorkeling, scuba, wildlife...?
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Depending on how you define "adventurous", you could get a night-pass to Hedonism II. It's $75 p/p, and let's you partake of the all-inclusive, clothing-optional debauchery from 6:30 p.m. until 3:00 a.m.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM

That's pretty funny Balto! I was 19 when I went to Negril for the first time. We went to Hedo on a night pass as you describe. I was with my "very liberal" parents. It may have been a bit different back then as I don't remember seeing any nudity until I went to the bar in the underground disco and looked up through the portholes over the bar and witnessed a little nude volleyball being played in the pool. In any event, I ended up taking 4th place in the reggae dance contest with a lady from London, somehow...must have been the dozen Tanqueray tonics in me! I was in awe of the place, of course, due to my age and "inexperience". The hollowed out coconuts containing "light", "regular", and "menthol" cigarettes. I think the pass was $25 per for us, but we were with a noted Jamaican architect. He drove us in his old Rolls Royce....great memories!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response!

Laustic, I definitely thought about splitting our time between beach and cliffs, but ultimately decided I wanted to stay somewhere secluded and serene, as you said. I decided to splurge the last couple of nights, so that's why I'm moving to the Rockhouse.

Liza, we really enjoy everything you listed. I'd say we like exploring and meeting people mostly.

Clothing-optional debauchery is something I'll definitely consider, but hiking, cliff jumping and scuba diving sound really good as well!

Can anyone tell me places that are safe and fun to visit without an organized tour? We'd love to visit waterfalls and secluded areas on our own if it's possible.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I suggest e-mailing Talk of the Town. We were in Negril about 15 years ago and rented a motorcyle - we saw some beautiful off the beaten path countryside, but may not have been the safest way to go. We saw a secluded waterfall, a beautiful river where we could swim, and some lovely houses that apparently belonged to celebs. If you contact Talk of the Town (I don't remember their website, but should be able to google them), I'm sure they can put together an interesting tour. Just let them know what you are interested in and they'll be able to recommend something. We stopped at a a place that sold great shrimp in sort of a "bamboo alleyway" - Fodorites, it's been a long time - can any of you elaborate - as well as stopping off in a couple of small towns for snacks and drinks. When at Sandals Whitehouse recently we used Talk of the Town for a private tour and they were very good.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM

We'll probably do a trip to Mayfield Falls with the driver that we're using for our airport transfers.

Here's what he said in his e-mail:

"Mayfield Falls/Savannah La Mar Tour - Mayfield Falls and Mineral Springs feature two gorgeous waterfalls and 21 natural pools of cool clear water. Climb with nature and experience the natural beauty of Jamaica. This tour also includes a city tour and mountain tour of the surrounding area. $45.00us per person (does not include entrance fees). Approx. 8am-3pm."

The driver (Kenny at [email protected]) said that he'd be happy to stop anywhere we want for lunch, either at the Falls, along the way, or in the town of Savannah La Mar.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Talk of the Town is great, Sala and his uncle david have taken us on many adventures

http://www.talkofthetownnegril.com/

Another great driver/guide we have hired many times is Chef Thompson:

http://www.chefsjamaicatours.5u.com/
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Make sure you pass on Hedonism II. While its a nice place, you'll be surrounded by some of the most disgusting human specimens you've ever seen. Not what you want to see in such a beautiful place.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM

EVERYTHING!!!!great age to experience NEGRIL!!!Have Fun but Be Safe...
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Hello,
I'm 23, and went to Negril last year. I loved it. SO much to do! I definitely recommend going to Rick's Cafe!!! It's right out on the cliffs, and a beautiful walk from the Rockhouse. Make sure to go about an hour before sunset and just wait and watch! Food is great there, entertainment, cliff diving (both for you to do and professionals to watch)! One guy jumped off the gigantic tree over 100 feet in the air, it was pretty intense!
If you want a trip to ocho rios, Dunn's River was a blast! But I recommend just relaxing, I loved staying out on the cliffs and the Rockhouse is gorgeous! Enjoy!