Timing of Flight to Ferry STT to Tortola

Apr 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Timing of Flight to Ferry STT to Tortola

The flights I am looking at get us into St. Thomas at approximately 3:30. Looks like some of the Ferry's don't leave for Tortola until 5:30. Are we going to have enough time from flying in to catch a ferry that day or should we play it safe and stay in St. Thomas that night and then grab the first ferry the next morning?

The only ferry leaving that late is operated by Native Sons, Inc and is leaving from Red Hook.

TIA
Apr 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I'd feel more comfortable if you heard from someone with recent experience, but I'd warn you that this connection is going to be tight. The traffic can be horrendous at that time of the day (yes, St. Thomas does have a bad rush hour). I'd recommend spending the night in St. Thomas and catching the ferry in the AM.
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Just responded to your STT hotel question - but you should be able to catch the 4:30 ferry. Are you checking bags? If not, you'll likely be fine. I've done this many times arriving in the 3:15/3:30 timeframe. You need to step up to the cab dispatcher (in white) and tell him that you want to go to the Tortola ferry. You'll stand there for what feels like forever, but is only about 5 minutes, waiting for him to assemble a bunch of passengers. And then you're off - the ferry is usually the first stop. Charlotte Amalie is MUCH closer than Red Hook - maybe 10 minutes from the airport. Alternately, if you know what ferry you want to take, you can call the ferry company and see if they can help you by picking you up at the airport. Some will, some won't, but it might be worth a shot and the few extra $$ it would cost. I'd much rather get onto Tortola than spend my first night in STT.
Apr 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM

It's my understanding that if you call Smith's ferry and tell them what day you will be arriving on the 3:30 flight, they will send a cab driver to the airport for you with a sign with your name on it and hold the ferry until the cab driver arrives with you. But, you need to have made all the arrangements prior to arrival...I plan to do this very thing July 16th.

Hope all works out for you.
Apr 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM

In the worst possible case (if your flight is so late they won't hold the ferry or if you can't make the arrangments for some reason), you can usually book a last-minute hotel room at the Holiday Inn. It's not on the beach, but it's conveniently on the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie.
Apr 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM

take a look at traveltalkonline.com - excellent source for the BVI and VI and also SXM.
Apr 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Also might depend not only if you have no carryon but if you are in the smaller Eagle (ATR70) rather than a larger plane because there is less time spent with luggage because of fewer passengers. Know it's only 15 minutes extra, but thought (and could be wrong) that the last ferry is at 5:45 from Red Hook - but it's about 25 minutes or thereabouts to Red Hook. You might want to check vinow.com or with the ferry company to confirm it.

Think it is Smith's who will do the taxi/ferry arrangement. Don't know about the others.
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Can you fly into EIS...? Then you could skip the ferry altogether.