What resort/hotel to choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (a couple in the low 40s) are planning a trip to the Caribbean, going end of May or beginning of June, for approximately 10-12 days. The most important thing for us is good beaches, and not too much noise and crowds, if we can avoid it. We would also like to do some local sight-seeing, but we are not planning on renting a jeep or sailboat. Although this is our first trip to the Caribbean, we did some research and Turks and Caicos seems to have really good beaches and some nice resorts that are not too crowded but also not too isolated from the rest of the island. We would like the advice of the more experienced: is T&C a good place for us, and what resort/hotel and plan (AI, EP) you would recommend? Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Just my opinion, but T and C might not be the best place for you. The beaches are packed with people.
My suggestion would be Anguilla. You fly into St. Martin and take a 25 minute ferry ride there. The beaches are the very best in the Caribbean, and many have virtually no one on them. There are great restaurants too. It's a wonderfully relaxing place to stay.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I agree with AnguillaGirl. You won't find nicer beaches or friendlier people anywhere. I'd encourage you to rent a car, though, so you can try all the different beaches. Roads on Anguilla are pretty good, so there's no real need to rent a jeep. Besides, how else could you take a trip to the Cotton Gin every afternoon for their wonderful gelato? :~)
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Actually, we were indeed considering Anguilla too. Glad to hear it might be more suitable for our purposes than T&C! If we end up going to Anguilla, we also wanted to use the opportunity and see Saba for a few days (as it shouldn't be really far). Any advice whether that trip (from Anguilla to Saba) is difficult, and where to stay in Saba (we were considering Willard's but then happened to read that it is so high up that taxis may not even go there)?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:37 AM

You can't get to Saba from Anguilla -- you have to go back to ST. Martin and fly from there or take a fairly long ferry ride (it's not as close as it looks on a map).
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:37 AM
KVR

Since when have the beaches in T & C become packed with people? (except for the stretch in front of the Beaches hotel)

There are only 3 AI hotels on T & C, and they are not all that great: Beaches, Club Med and Coral Gardens. Rent a car to get to various restaurants and do some sightseeing.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:41 AM

I'm about to leave for my first trip to Anguilla and visited T&C (Providenciales aka Provo) twice last year, so I can't compare the two destinations based on personal experience, nevertheless, I do have to say IMO (I realize this is subjective) I do not consider T&C beaches to be "packed with people" as a general rule. Yes, the "Beaches" resort has a narrow beach area and has chairs lined up very close to each other, and I suppose if you travel during high season and school breaks it is more crowded in general, but for my tastes, the beach (Grace Bay beach) is the right mix of quiet but not isolated. I was there in late April/early May and early/mid Dec.

Again, everyone has different preferences, but I like the fact that on Provo, there is one long (12 mi), beautiful beach with many resorts (really smaller condominium resorts for the most part) and restaurants within walking distance. In Anguilla, there are many more beaches, but you have to drive to different beaches and restaurants.

There are lots of other posts on Provo (and hotel choices) on here, so I would suggest you read some of those to get more information about T&C and resort choices (recommendations depend on your budget and whether you plan to rent a car or not). I would not recommend AI there; there are only two (Club Med and Beaches), and they are among the least quiet and least relaxing places IMO. Plus, there isn't much to do on Provo besides enjoy the beach, water, and go out to eat. Anguilla is similar.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM

I was shocked when I read that the beach on Turks and Caicos are "packed with people." I have been there several times over Christmas vacation and in the spring and have never found that to bee the case. I would agree that Beaches resort has a narrower strech of beach and that it can become more crowded but there are many other places to stay! Just had to say that hat was a real misrepresentation. I think you can have a wonderful vacation on Turks and Caicos. Provo is very easy to get to, is quiet with beautiful beaches, and has many options for lodging. I would agree that Beaches resort is not for you. Keep doing some research.
Critch
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Planningatrip, you opened a can of worms. You're asking for personal opinion on a very varied part of the world. T&C are lovely, Anguilla is lovely, St. Kits -Nevis are lovely. And everyone will post their own opinion and remark on someone else's. You might want to check out the specific island forums and narrow your selection of island first.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM

"Author: Anguillagirl
Date: 04/07/2008, 02:12 pm

Just my opinion, but T and C might not be the best place for you. The beaches are packed with people.
My suggestion would be Anguilla. You fly into St. Martin and take a 25 minute ferry ride there. The beaches are the very best in the Caribbean, and many have virtually no one on them. There are great restaurants too. It's a wonderfully relaxing place to stay."

Hmm... is there a reason your name is 'Anguillagirl'?

Plannigatrip May/June are low season in the Caribbean, you won't find crowds on T&C, although I would ask about construction.

We stayed at Coral Gardens in 2006 and the snorkeling was wonderful, right off the beach.

Last week there was a House Hunters on HGTV that looked at condos on T&C - one resort they looked at was Coral Gardens.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:18 AM

We have some friends who are now full time residents in T&C. I have to agree that the beaches are not packed with people. I think of Cancun when I hear that. Besides world famous Grace Bay there are many other beaches to visit on Provo. Our friends live on the other side from Grace Bay and their beach & water is stunning. Go where you want, it's your vacation. If it turns out not to be your cup of tea you now have a great reason to go to another island!!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:24 AM

the beaches in t&c are not packed with people...what a thing to say...
we were there in october and not it seemed like a ghost town compared to our usual april trip...which is never ever crowded...i find it funny that people are saying the beach is packed...
provobums.com for photos of the packed beach...lol...
but hey...maybe everyone talking about them being packed is why they are so empty...so okay sure...i'll play...they are packed...uhhuh...wicked crowded...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM

oooh Beaches Resort? the beach there is crowded...
maybe that would make sense...
i'd never recommend a 40 something couple to stay at Beaches...
the rest of grace bay is far from crowded...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:14 AM

imho the grace bay beach is definetly not crowded. in fact it seems fairly deserted sometimes.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Turks & Caicos for its serenity. For quieter hotels and beaches look at Point Grace or the Turks & Caicos Club. Traveling to Turks and Caicos is much easier than Anguilla, too. 12 miles of white sand beach (uninterrupted)...whereas Anguilla has short bays.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Grace Bay Beach was not crowded when we went last month. We had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend it.

I'm sure Anguilla is great, too. I haven't been there so I can't comment.

I noticed you mentioned this is your first trip to the Caribbean...you will LOVE wherever you pick!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM

We went to Anguilla 2 years ago for our honeymoon and didnt' care for it. We stayed at Cuisinart which was great but you had to drive everywhere for beaches, restaurants and we could find no "town" so to speak on the island. This was the only place we have ever visited where we could not find one thing to bring back as a souvenir mostly because we could not find a place to buy anything. If you go I woudln't spend more than 2 or 3 days there.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM

I would go with Jumby Bay on Antigua.