Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with the Westin St John Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read several comments that the beach at the St. John Westin is not very good. Can anyone tell me specifically what they don't like about it? It looks nice in all the pictures. I know that the pictures always make everything look great, but it is hard to fake a beach.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM

I want to find out too. My impression from a majority of people on these boards are 1)its man made 2) its not crystal clear like other beaches 3) its considered a Marina where boats dock

If there is 100% validity to any or all of these statements I can see why the waters of the Westin STJ are not up to par to other SJ other beaches. I have not been there, but am planning a trip there one day so I am weighing my options. I am interested too in what others have to say. Good luck in your planning.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:04 PM

The 2nd poster is correct on all 3 counts.

A LOT of sailboats moor there overnight.
So many, in fact, that I've heard yachties call it "tootsie roll bay." ('Nuff said about THAT subject...)

I did not find it particularly attractive when I was there last year.
(We went on a day trip from a cat that was moored there.)
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM

Its a very nice hotel----not 5star, but a good base camp. Very good for children with a good pool. The beach is just as the other said----seaweed as you enter as some points. But there are many pros that out way the cons unless you want beaches at your footstep---then Caneel, but it is very formal.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:03 AM
cdt

The beach itself (the sand part) is fine, and a perfectly good place to sit/lie in the sun, work on your tan, read a book, sip a drink.

It's the water that's the problem. While almost all the other beaches on St. John have crystal-clear water, it's murky at the Westin.

I don't think the murkiness is because of the presence of boats. You will actually find clearer water by the ferry docks in Cruz Bay and Red Hook. I have read that the bottom of the bay at the Westin is silt, rather than sand, and I think it is probably fine silt particles that cloud the water.

Keep in mind that it's pretty hard to find a resort on a good beach on St. John. Caneel Bay is the gold standard. Lots of people rent villas, which almost invariably require driving to get to a beach, so the Westin isn't such a bad alternative.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:04 AM
caribtraveler

actually it's not hard to fake a beach in a picture with today's technology.
we were there last year and it's not like the picture. the water was full of seaweed and simply not appealing. i personally don't mind a beach that's man-made if it's nice. i think it doesn't help that the true beaches in st. john are incredible.
if it's important for you to stay at a resort with a great beach, you shouldn't stay there. if you're ok with renting a car or getting a cab to go to the other beaches, then stay at the westin. that's what we did and we were fine with that.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:39 AM

There are just so many beautiful beaches and lovely secluded villas on St John, it almost seems a crime to stay at the Westin. I have nothing against Westin - we stayed at one on Grand Cayman for our honeymoon years ago and loved it. However, you miss the true spirit of St John staying in a hotel. At least in my opinion.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM

Westin's beach is wall to wall beach chairs and the ocean is filled with children's play toys. If you want a really busy, get your few feet of space location, with tons to do for the kids, it works. If you prefer some peace and quiet, space, and lack of rubber rafts and such, its not for you.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM

Scarboroughmom,
If you are still checking responses, you have gotten a lot of good advice but here's my 2 cents worth - we have been to St. John twice, 2 & 4 yrs ago, both time stayed at Westin with kids. If you like beaches & snorkeling off the beach, & like to explore St. John is great, the best we have found. Both visits, we rented a jeep for days 2-5 to go to different beaches & just spent the first & last day at the Westin.(favorite beach - FRancis Beach).The first year we had 2 adjoining hotel rooms which was nice but the second visit they were overbooked so we got a 2 BR villa, which was lovely. Its a bit of a ways from the main complex but golf carts were available for rides to & from. We really liked having all the amenities of the hotel, the pool is great & there was a small pool by the villas which we used also. The restaurants at the Westin were not too good so we went into town most nights (cheaper also). Let me know if you have any questions - we have been to Caymans, Bahamas, St. Criox, Cabo, Cancun (twice), Puerto Vallarta & St. John is, by far, the favorite.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM

BetsyG:

Since you have been to the Westin. I posted something a little while ago about a wedding there. Can you give your input or reply to the prior post?
Thank you!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

BetsyG:

Thanks for the info. We are staying at the Westin for 3 days in November. My 3 boys, 7, 7, and 9, are all picky eaters. Every thing except french fries and pizza is a battle. Do you have any restaurant recommendations?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM

scarboroughmom - Our favorite restaurant was the Lime Inn. I am guessing that they had chicken fingers/nuggets & french fries as mine are picky eaters also. I would imagine there is a pizza restaurant but don't recall. The Westin had a buffet for kids at one of their restaurants, you could ask about that - probably had pizza, other kid food.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am like almost any kind of food that is well-prepared, and I always have. I also like to cook, just not the same old thing over and over and over. I don't know how I spawned 3 kids who could still live on spagettios.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:19 PM

scarboroughmom, if you are on any sort of budget, I would highly reccommend NOT eating at the resort, unless you've already paid for it as part of a package deal. We were there last year, and our first night there was the only meal we ate on site (besides the beach bar). We did the Sat. night buffet and it was really overpriced for very average food (our tab was over $100, with only 3 glasses of wine on that---totally NOT a quality meal for the price tag). I would suggest going into Cruz Bay to dine at night. Lime Inn is very good. The Crab Trap had a good selection on kid's menu, I think (very kid-friendly place). There's also a pizza place and a BBQ place that are good and reasonably priced. CHilly Billy's is supposed to be a good place for breakfast, but we didn't get to make it there. The good thing is that there are a lot of places within walking distance of each other, so you can check them all out. You might want to start early, though, because places get crowded and if the kids are hungry you may be waiting a while. Oh, there's also a Subway if they need the U.S. fast food!

Another thing you might want to consider is renting a jeep, visiting the Starfish Market or other local deli there (can't remember the name of it), packing picnic stuff and exploring the beaches during the day! We did this every day and had a blast. Have fun.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:35 AM

Hi Scarboroughmom,
Beach Buff definitely put you on the right track but I want to clarify and add a couple of things. Fish Trap, not Crab Trap is a family friendly restaurant where you can definitely get things like chicken fingers and fries. Cafe Roma is also right in town and has good pizza and surprisingly good Italian food (including spagetti!!). Uncle Joe's Barbecue is across the street from the Post office and has amazing chicken and ribs you can eat there or take back to your room. The portions are huge. My other suggestion would be Duffy's Love Shack. As long as you eat early in the evening (as in before 8 or 9 pm. After that it's mostly a bar with dancing and music, fun but not for 3 little boys) it's a really fun place to take kids. They have burgers, fries, chicken fingers etc. Ask to be seated upstairs, the atmosphere is like a treehouse, your boys should love it. They have all those fruity specialty drinks in souvenier glasses which you can get "virgin" versions of for the kids.
I would also suggest the new place at Pastory Gardens where you can eat and play a round of mini golf. And of course don't forget Skinny Legs out in Coral Bay for amazing burgers!
Hope that helps!