Atlantis at spring break

Search

Atlantis at spring break

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantis at spring break

Considering Atlantis for end of March-first of April. Any comments on the idea and
what the weather would be. Taking Grandson
10 years old. Suggestions on what to do?
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Hi scotty- I can tell you first hand what Atlantis is like during Spring Break as we were there last year at that time. First of all you question was regarding weather, that was wonderful, sunny and balmy. The beach has beautiful sand and crystal clear blue water. But since you posted the time in which you are going I have to warn you. Its is terrible! I do not think I have ever seen a resort more crowded/ overcrowded. I know Atlantis is not an "advertised" spring break destination like Cancun or Florida, but be warned - its crazy. College kids were all over the place, 4 to a room (and the resort was at full capacity), lots were drunk and loud and out of control. Every moning there were beer cans & cig butts outside our room. Due to the overcrowding it was difficult to get a beach chair and forget about a pool chair. Everyone was drunk and very loud on the beach..needless to say it was not relaxing or fun. Due to the large crowd of people the service was very very slow. I am comparing this to a recent visit to Atlantis which was after spring break - which was a completely different experience. Keep in mind that during this time you will have a huge mix of Spring breakers AND families. The lines for the slides were long and the pools were jammed. Don't forget you also have the neighboring Comfort Suites (which is also to capacity at that time) using Atlantis facilities. Atlantis is what it is...it's fun to get away for a few days and gamble, lay in the sun etc. We just returned form a lovely Atlantis trip last month (4 days) and it was a completely different experience from when we went during speing break. The service was excellent and very frinedly, the pools were clean, and low and behold there were chairs by the pool AND beach. I am not being negative,(and we are not old we are 40 or being nit picky) just warning you as to what to expect during that time.
On the other hand a 10 year old boy will have a wonderful time in Atlantis as there is plenty to do, just prepare yourself for the crowds of kids and families!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your VERY honest response.
We also have been to Atlantis but in January, also very crowded. I bet we would be happier to skip that location.
Do you have any other suggestions
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Are you looking for action packed or relaxing family fun time?? Does it have to be the caribbean and how much time do you have? Just a suggestion would be, although it is not the caribbean (just popped into my head) is to go to Sanibel/Captiva, South Seas Plantation is very nice. Great fishing, beautiful beach, lots of things to do with kids.you can go fishing, snorkeling shelling. There are plenty of dolphins jumping out of the water and pelicans swooping for fish. There are also lots of fun places to eat, funky little restaurants (the bubble room is one) with live entertainment, lots on the water and inexpensive. Very casual fun and relaxed. You can also get food and bring back to your room, dine out on the balcony and watch the lightning over the Gulf it is after all the lightning capital of the world.You will have lots of fun together as it is so beautiful and its a great family place for all to have a great time..You can split the week if you like and drive(rent a car at the airport) to Universal Studios Orlando (a 3 hour drive) and stay on site - they have some great deals! When you stay on site you get front of the line access which means you bypass everyone on line and go right on the ride! I have been to Universal during spring break and it is very nice..not overcrowded and with front of the line you save tons of time! So your grandson does not miss out on the water slide fun from Atlantis, the pools at Universal hotels are great - you will not be sliding thru a shark tank, but still fun! You will also have a great time..great food and the parks are a lot smaller and cleaner than WDW so you will not spend all your time walking. The rides are perfect for a 10 year old. We have also done this trip before and it was a great vacation. I will think of a caribbean destination, but this was the first thing that came to mind. Let me know what you had in mind besides Atlantis and maybe I can help you
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thnaks so much for your response
I have thought about Universal, however we are not ride people. Although we are only in our 50's for our Grandson, we get sick on the rollercoasters.
We have thought about Hawaii, been there several times on our own, LOVE it.
However, the airfare has been very high lately and it might be a long flight. It is still a possibility. Looking for a warm location with water slide at hotel and alot of activity.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:24 AM

The Grand Wailea, Maui is perfect for you then! I would contact a travel agent and book thru a wholesaler. I was going to go to Maui, (then I changed my mind and we are going to Anguilla). Try booking thru Classic Custom Vacations, GW is on their list of Maui destinations. You can only book thru a TA for wholesale packages. Since they buy bulk air and hotel your package price will be much lower than if you booked on your own. I use Clasic whenever possible as they have an excellent policy. It will cost you $418.00 to book the reservation and the balance is due 6 weeks prior to departure, so it gives you plenty of time to budget if you need to. So price GW on your own then call a TA and say you want to price out a trip using classic custom - their website by the way is www.ccv.com. Hope this helps you.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Forgot to tell you why Grand Wailea is perfect for you...this resort has THE coolest water slides and a one of a kind water elevator - built just for the resort! The pools are beautiful and themed and great for kids. Actually the entire resort is perfect for families, your grandson will absolutely love it! The website is www.grandwailea.com. you are also on one of the best beaches and locations in Maui, as the Wailea area is the dryest gets much less rain than the rest of the island. The winds will ususlly kick up a bit in the afternoon but you are pretty much guranteed great weather in Wailea. I think you will see the difference pricing with Classic - Good luck and if you have any more questions, I hope I can help
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 09:09 PM

The Grand Waliea is an awesome place to take a 10 year old. It is very pricey though, once you're on the property you usually stay on the property and everything is expensive so be prepared.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:00 AM

My mother took her my daughter (age 12 at the time) on a Disney cruise/land package - 3 days at WDW area (neither are "ride" people but did Epcot, etc.) and 3 nights on Disney cruise after - both enjoyed themselves.