Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What is most important to you in a vacation...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 03:40 PM
lynne

<BR>What do you find important when you pick a vacation destination or hotel? <BR> <BR>I've noticed a lot of negative comments lately about older hotels. Sometimes I think you do better at a place that isn't brand new because they have learned from their mistakes... <BR> <BR>Personally I really enjoy a vacation where I'm well fed and entertained (activities and evening things). Hotels aren't all that important to me...if they are clean and safe I'm fairly happy. That doesn't mean budget accomodations but moderate and comfortable. I don't have to have brand new. <BR> <BR>How about you?

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 07:25 PM
Diane

Cleanliness, a good bed and reliable hot water & plumbing, plus a cooling sea breeze with ceiling fans or air conditioning if the spot isn't cooled by breezes, and a friendly, helpful staff. These are essentials. Extras are wonderful views, hair dryer, nice soaps, shampoo etc. If the island is interesting enough, the view from the room isn't required. We do hope to find a couple of good restaurants, but they don't have to be connected to the hotel.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 04:11 PM
fred

<BR>Value for money!!

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Decent Tropical

-Clean, safe and comfortable lodging. Luxury not necessary but everything should be in good working order. <BR> <BR>-Friendly people <BR> <BR>-Beautiful natural surroundings such as secluded beaches, mountains, waterfalls, rainforests. Beautiful foliage. <BR> <BR>-Locations which are not overdeveloped and overcrowded <BR> <BR>-warm or mild climate <BR> <BR>These are the destinations which interest me the most: <BR> <BR>Grenada, Dominica, USVI, BVI, Puerto Rico, Saba, Hawaii <BR> <BR>I would prefer to rent a private villa or cottage which for more than one person can be much cheaper than staying in a hotel of comparable quality.

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Kim

I'm pretty much in the same camp as you Lynn. As long as the hotel is safe, clean, relatively comfortable, and proximate to where I want to be, that's about all that is necessary. I prefer to spend my money on food and activities. As for how I choose a destination, it depends on what I'm in the mood for. But I always want a beautiful area with some element of history, churches and museums to see. I, for one, get bored on the beach before too long.

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 06:39 AM
Cheri

Tops on our list is a beautiful beach and great snorkeling. You have that everything else can just fall into place. <BR> <BR>We like a hotel that has friendly people, clean sheets and a bar that carries Beefeater gin. <BR> <BR>Ideally the hotel would have a choice of places to eat so if we didn't want to go out to another restaurant we would have a choice of where to eat. Good plain food is fine, doesn't have to be gourmet, in fact a good sandwich would suffice most of the time. <BR> <BR>We would prefer a place that was on the small to medium side because we don't want to have to fight for our little square of sand or a lounge chair. <BR> <BR>Crowds are a definite no-no as are screaming toddlers or children that the parents allow to run wild and pay no attention to. Well behaved children whose parents guide them are welcome. <BR> <BR>Last but not least is a good book that I have saved for this trip so I can take the time to enjoy it!

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 05:46 PM
lynne

<BR>Has any of you found a great place that meets all your qualifications that you're prepared to share? <BR> <BR>By the way I like the Beefeater gin remark! My fellow traveller likes a bar where they know how to make a Manhattan...or where they'll let her teach them how to make one...funny what makes you happy, huh! I've never seen her so happy as when the bartender in the Domincan Republic pulled out a bottle of bitters from under the bar to complete her Manhattan...made her vacation!

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:31 PM
Karen

A priority for me is to have a room/suite/unit (whatever they call it!) ON the beach. I want sand and swimmable water just footsteps from my room. I also want screens on the windows and doors and I do NOT want a/c. I prefer "adult" spots ... if I want to hear children shreeking and fighting, I can stay home! Don't want brand new ... unless it is understood that the price reflects the new opening ... maybe that would help ... but I don't want them using me as a training ground for new staff, etc. My second prioritiy is well prepared and pleasantly served cusine on site ... not into hopping about looking for dining ... takes time from maxing out the beach!

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 11:18 AM
polly

When I research a new island, I try to go with one that has a good snorkeling location. The beach is a priority. I like to be able to walk, so hopefully it is a long stretch. I like the beach to have waves, (nothing like listening to the ocean at night), but not choppy and wild so that I can't enjoy it by day. The island should be large enough to do a little sight seeing, some shopping, great restaurants (not ultra dressy and the people friendly. <BR> <BR>The resort must be as nice and clean as I keep my own home. I hate living for a week and feeling dirty. I also like a tropical, caribbean feel to the decorating. Definitely an ocean view. Nothing is worse than looking out to a parking lot! I like drinks on the beach, so either a bar or servers available. Plenty of lounge chairs so that you don't have to fight to get a pair in the morning. Also, the way some hotels have gotten so picky out their beach towels, I like a quick easy way to pick up a towel without having to go through a security system. Good food on the premises. Not a huge walk back to the room after spending it on the beach. Not many children screaming and crying. That's it!

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 04:37 PM
CuriousBob

Have any of you found a place that filled your requirements? Where were they?

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 04:47 PM
sheila

Dear Curious... <BR> <BR>Yes we have found "our" ideal spot. The Westin in the Cayman Islands fills all requirements of people writing in. Clean, beautiful, peaceful, friendly, and everything positive!

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 08:34 AM
CAgirl

First and foremost has to be the beach. Sand HAS to be white. Water HAS to be clear. <BR> <BR>Secondly, I don't have to have a brand-new hotel, but it has to be in good condition and updated. Outdated, run-down properties are depressing to me. And it has to be CLEAN! No mildew in the showers or sheets you can't tell have been changed or not. <BR> <BR>Third, a bar with COLD beer. That's very hard to find, believe it or not. Anyway, that's all it takes to make me happy!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 03:28 PM

<BR>good comments!