What is Dive Insurance?

Search

What is Dive Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Dive Insurance?

I saw that I will need to provide proof of dive insurance to dive at Couples Negril.
Where do I get dive insurance?
Thanks for your help.
Greg
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/index.asp
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Seems silly. I've never heard of a dive operator requiring you to provide proof of insurance. It's not like the insurance protects them. You should have it for your own purposes (and I highly recommend it), but IMHO, another instance of a dive operation going overboard.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Greg,
My husband is a PADI certified diver & has gone diving at several resorts in the Caribbean & Mexico (including CN). He has never had to show proof of having dive insurance. He has only had to sign off on the usual medical waiver form (i.e. answering 'no' to all of the questions, basically). That's not to say you can't get the dive insurance for your own good, but Couples definitely does not require it.

Jackie
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jackie, I received a brochure from Couples and in the diving section it mentioned you would need a c-card dive insurance and to pass a short swimming test to dive. I've had to take a resort dive test before but I've never heard of dive insurance.
Thanks for your help
Greg
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM

For active Divers and skin divers it covers large sums for medical and emergency evacuation, trip interruption caused by such accidents when you incur an injury when diving or snorkeling/skin diving. The organization is called DAN.

It costs about $175 a couple a year for as many trips you take where you do diving or snorkeling.But it is NOT trip cancellation, baggage or trip delay as you buy through TravelGuard.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM

If you dive - join DAN - just do it. You'll never know when you need it but when you do you will be oh so glad you have it. We are experieinced divers and due to freak "accidents" have had to use them twice. Nothing serious, but it was great to have them right there to help out.