What if your hotel never charged you?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Jim

What if your hotel never charged you?

Let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that someone spent a few days at a nice resort, something like the Hyatt Dorado Beach, ate, drank, etc. and charged everything to his room. Then checked out and charged the expenses to a major credit card, went home and waited for the bill ... and waited ... and waited. And it never appeared on the credit card for over two years! Certainly I don't think it's the responsibility of the traveler to inquire about this. But might they catch up after so long? Is there some sort of statute of limitations? Has this happened to anyone else?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Idiots!

Let's just say for example that you are OJ Simpson, hypothetically speaking, and that you hack away two innocent people, but you don't get caught. Do you really think it matters that no one can prove your guilt...
Now I hardly think one can equate murdering someone with running out on a bill, however I am sick to death of this, WRONG is wrong. I don't care if you accepted wrong change at McDonald's or took a life. Doesn't anyone get the fact that all this will one day come back around to haunt you? It's called Karma.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Grrrrrrrr.....

Pathetic poor 'not at work Jim". Probably called in sick. Of course ignorant Jim if you run up a bill and never get charged you still have a responsibility to pay it. And if you need us to state the obvious, you have some serious issues. I suppose you called in sick while the wife is out earning a living for the family. Be a man already.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Jim

I don't think I would call it running out on a bill. The traveler gave the hotel his credit card information but they never charged him. You're saying he should contact the hotel?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Idiots!

I'm saying what comes around goes around.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Lucky you

Karma is [email protected]! Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people, and vice versa!

My vote: Shhhhhh!!

Its not that big of a deal...

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Jim

Grrr,
I have issues? I'm not the one foaming at the mouth. Thanks for your idle speculation, but I am in the office today, and making money. My wife does work, but it's because she wants to. But when it's slow I visit Fodors, in which case I'm "not at work."

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Eric

Legally you are perfectly saft to sit and wait... You do not need to pursue it.

I think that most of the people who are throwing stones at Jim would probably do the same.

If you found a mistake on your grocery receipt, would you go back and pay up ??

Eric

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:04 AM
happened

It did happen to 2 out of 5 of us who stayed at Jack Tar Village in Bahamas in the 80's. They have not paid to this day. (I wasn't one of the lucky ones)

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
TheRightThing

Well quite obviously Eric, you wouldn't. You'd would probably be the one to ding my car and not leave a note. I will give you one thing though.....you are right, I don't think most people do the "right" thing when they noone else is looking. Sadly I bet many people would "Shhhhhhhh" and not say anything. I just wouldn't, if I enjoyed a glorious time, ate, drank and was merry, I would ante-up.....whether you forgot to bill me or otherwise. Tell me which customer would you rather have in your hotel?? Every one makes mistakes, think how upset the front desk clerk would be to find out she made the error but then how pleased to find out the decent hotel guest came back was honest. It's not about foaming a the mouth Jim, again it's just my opinion. I just don't think it's right to look the other way when you are aware of the mistake.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
ex airline employee

It is the hotel's responsibility to charge you. I once asked the same question about a Fence Sears forgot to charge us for. My husband said they would not believe me and I would mess up their accounting if I told them they forgot to charge me.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:22 AM
you

Jim,

The person you describe, executed, in all clear conscience, his total obligation to the resort where he stayed. He checked out as required, gave his credit card (actually, it was probably taken at check-in) and signed off on the final bill.
It is the responsibility of the accounting department of the resort to complete the credit card transaction and receive payment. If the accounts supervisor has not yet determined that the accounts are not in balance for the month your hypothetical traveller visited, then maybe the CFO should have seen it by now.
The traveller has no responsibility to check on the status of this billing or attempt to do the job of the people who are paid to handle those details.
The traveller did not attempt to slip out without meeting his obligations. He has no need to feel guilty or uncomfortable about any of this.
But, the traveller should be aware that the charge could still show up on the credit card bill if someone in the resort finally figures out why the books are out of balance and tracks down the open item.
Since the traveller was fully prepared to accept the charge and to pay his credit card bill when it arrived, nothing has changed.
For the rageaholic who tried, unsuccessfully, to link this to OJ Simpson's situation, I think you would have to change the scenario to having OJ confess to the police, and then have the police not arrest him and, indeed, ignore him for two years, in order to make some kind of half-baked relationship to the traveller's situation.
Jim, tell your hypothetical traveller he has no reason to be concerned, or feel guilty. He did nothing wrong.
I can't imaging Idiots! racing back to the airline counter to point out that his ticket to Hawaii was priced at less than half what he thought it was going to be. Or running back into the supermarket to point out that the gallon of milk he purchased didn't show up on his $100 food bill.
Dishonest? No, I don't think so. It's the cost of doing business. It is the responsibility of the management of the airline or the management of the supermarket to ensure proper training has been provided, that sound procedures are in place, and that inventory control and accounting controls are in place and functioning, not the travellers, and not mine.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Ronnie

Quote:It's the cost of doing business. It is the responsibility of the management of the airline or the management of the supermarket to ensure proper training has been provided, that sound procedures are in place, and that inventory control and accounting controls are in place and functioning, not the travellers, and not mine.

Guess what. It's only going to affect you! They will raise their prices accordingly to cover such losses! SO it's best to be honest.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:45 AM
you

Ronnie,

No, it won't cost me. They might try to raise prices to cover their inefficiencies, but the competition, which does manage and control properly, will eat their lunch by being able to keep their prices down. It's why Southwest is pounding the crap out of United and Northwest. Manage and control.
No one is arguing honesty here. Jim's traveller was completely honest. He paid his bill like you or I would, and went off whistling and smiling, happy that he had discharged his obligation. As well he should.
After 2 years, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Hyatt had already written the outstanding amount off as uncollectible.
And if it hasn't been written off, the issue here is between the resort and Traveller's credit card company.
Traveller is fully prepared to pay when presented with the charge.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:52 PM
al

I would chalk up the experience to good karma, consider it a crumb from God's table and not say a word.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:57 PM
freetrip

Hello Jim,

The same exact thing happened to us at a huge Hotel. We had charged everything (dinners,drinks, stuff from the gift store, mini bar)as we always do when on vacation. Upon checkout, we paid with a credit card, the full amount - signed the receipt and the bill never was charged to our card. It has been over 3 years now. It is not our fault, we did not sneak out in the middle of the night to avoid paying our bill. We did pay-we were not charged - there is a difference. We did not steal anything from the hotel. As far a we know the hotel was paid by the CC company, but the CC company never charged us. And so what??

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Lou Gehrig

If I was never charged for a hotel bill I would consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:59 PM
xxx

I agree with poster, "al." I would just consider it a blessing. Who is to say it wasn't? I wouldn't feel guilty either. Jim, be thankful. Do something nice when the opportunity arrives for someone, somewhere.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:52 AM
carlos

Maybe the hypothetical someone was the 100,000th guest since the resort opened and therefore won a free stay.

Maybe some rich guest thought the unbilled someone's wife/girlfriend was incredibly hot-looking and therefore paid their bill for them.

All kinds of possibilities. I say let it be.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:18 AM
cc

Just to let you in on something, God does not throw "crumbs" from His table, blessings freely abound to those who know Him and follow his word. Read His word and you will answer your own question. Odd that you would turn to fodors forum to get an answer. But might they catch up after so long.... somewhere in your heart you know it is your responsibility, or else why would you even try to figure out if the law can somehow protect you from someone elses mistake. Would you like some scripture quotes to answer your question???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information