Westin St John or Marriott St Thomas

Jul 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Westin St John or Marriott St Thomas

Trying to decide between the Westin in St John and the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. Unfortunately, neither seems to get great reviews but I don't think I want to pay $300+++ per night at Caneel Bay or the Ritz just to sleep...

I will be traveling with 2 girls ages 14 and 16. We like good snorkeling, good food, and gorgeous beaches.

Has anyone stayed at both that can help compare?

How good is the food at the Marriott? (We would get all inclusive)

Have any of the rooms at the Frenchman's Reef been renovated?
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:29 PM

We rented a house on St. John for much cheaper than the old, overpriced rooms at the Westin on St. John. The food prices at the Westin are very high as well. We rented Hale Lani through Destination St. John and paid $2150 for 7 nights. It had a pool and A/C plus four bedrooms and was wonderful. I wouldn't stay on St. Thomas unless you value shopping more than beaches. If you rent something, you can atleast buy some groceries and eat breakfast/lunch and snacks at home. It saved us a ton of money with out three kids. That's just an idea!
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM

If you want to go to St. John, definitely look into renting a villa. You'll come out far ahead. Or for really great snorkeling, you could stay at Guavaberry at Spring Bay in Virgin Gorda ... really a unique beach setting and not horribly expensive.
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

The idea of renting a villa is a good one, but we only want to stay for 4 or 5 nights so we will definately keep it in mind for a longer trip in the future. For now I think we have narrowed it down to either the westin or the marriott and just need help picking the winner. Any thoughts?
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:46 PM

There are indeed some great villas that work out pricewize but things like daily maid service are not always included and they are self-catering unless it is one of the "villas" such as the condos like Gallows Point and others that have maid service. And you most likely will commute to the beach. I'm not a fan of the Westin at all but some of the recent reports indicate that the rooms are showing their age as they prepare to convert many to timeshares. Of course you will be driving to the other beaches since the Westin's pales in comparison to others in the USVI. There are bargains to be found so I guess if the price is right, it might suit.
Not sure how the all-inclusive option at the Marriott works or the cost, but I do prefer MoringStar beachfront rather than the high rise. Not so great snorkeling there - the water can be cloudy on windy days - but you'll probably head to the other beaches anyway. Altho not-AI, you might want to check Secret Harbour on the East End close to Red Hook and the 15-minute ferry to STJ. It's condos so you have a kitchette if you choose to use it and a very nice beach with snorkeling. Also Blue Moon Cafe is on location and it one of the better restaurants on the island. There are good options on STT for dining if you don't go AI.
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:35 AM
owa

What time of the year are you traveling?

Aug 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM

I haven't stayed at either property but island-wise it's a no brainer to me. St. John is a million times nicer than St. Thomas.
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:15 AM

agree with jlilberto i would pick westin over marriot any day for any length of stay.
snorkeling on st. john is much more plentiful and available.
however if you choose to stay on st. thomas www.secretharbourvi.com is an excellent alternative to the marriott. much better beach. more comfortable atmosphere. good restaurant. really good snorkel from their beach which is not the case at marriott.
marriott does have an excellent restaurant - havana blue - but way pricey and perhaps not what the teens would enjoy.