Wedding Disaster

Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Wedding Disaster

I chose to do a destination wedding because I'm not a picky bride and wanted an intimate setting for my close friends and family (approx 50 people). I wanted a stress-free simple wedding and loved the idea of having someone taking care of my plans. My dad, who has stayed here a couple of times, highly recommended the resort to me. In July 2008, I contacted the resort through their website and confirmed a wedding date in January.
I viewed the resort in September 2008. I met with Mario and he gave me a small tour. He gave me absolutely no insight into what my wedding would be like... I had to pry everything out of him. Ie) wedding time, marriage paperwork etc. I should have been concerned from the start, but just passed things off believing it was due to a slight language barrier or different culture. The wedding preview trip was an absolute waste of my time and money... I learned more on their website and bloggers.
When I arrived back home, I confirmed with him that I would be having a beach wedding and beach reception.
Over the next couple of months, I emailed him constantly, but received no replies. At one point, we had to call the corporate office to have someone force him respond to my emails relating to simple plans for my wedding. It was an incredibly frustrating experience.
After I had my final guest list in December, I tried following up with him once again. When I received no response, my travel agent had to call the corporate office to get him to communicate with me. He finally responded saying everything was in order. (He didn't even have my cake, flower, music, etc requests).
On New Years, Mario sent me an email stating that he set my spa appointments and nonchalantly mentioned that I couldn't have my beach party reception. He said it was my fault because I never confirmed it so they gave it to an incentive group.
Two weeks before my wedding, I find out the horrible news that he double booked my reception. I have emails from both him and me stating that I was to have the beach reception back in October. He tried to blame the whole situation on me. He later admitted that the wedding department didn't talk to the incentive department and that's how it happend. His only solution to me was that I could have my wedding Saturday and reception Sunday. Then I received no contact from him for a week! My travel agent and I emailed the corporate office, called the hotel, no one responded to us! My dream of having a stress-free wedding turned in to a nightmare. I had no idea what I was going to do. Iberostar knew I was powerless to do anything and didn't care.
Fortunately, a friend of mine was married at Casa de Campo. She gave me her wedding coordinator's info and I contacted her immediately. Luckily, they could make room for my wedding in Altos de Chavon and we started planning right away.
When I sent Mario a letter canceling my wedding, he replied in less than 10 minutes! How pathetic. He never responded to anything I sent him over the past week when I was begging to know what would happen to my wedding. His response to my cancelation was that he was sorry, that he fixed the problem, and that I was still having my wedding there. I had to send numerous other emails to get him to understand the wedding wasn't happening at IHD.
I stayed 3 days at IHD before my wedding to spend time with our guests since it was too late for everyone to change their reservations to Casa de Campo. When I checked in, they were still under the impression I was getting married there. Then, everyone at the resort acted like nothing happened. No one called me to apologize etc. Mario did tell one of my guests to tell me that he scheduled a personal dinner for everyone the Friday before our wedding. He never contacted me personally to know that we had a Catamaran trip planned.
Iberostar never compensated me for anything and never offered a formal apology. I had 42 guests staying there for my wedding who would of otherwise not stayed there. I cannot believe the resort did this to me on one of the most important days of my life so they could have an incentive event.
In the end, Mario did me a favor. My wedding at Casa de Campo was incredible and everything I ever wanted. My coordinator, Betty, was extremely responsive and helped me plan a beautiful wedding in less than two weeks.
Please feel free to contact me if you want. I don't want to see this happen to another bride.

My critque of IHD:
Positives:
-Rooms were clean
-Nice grounds, big pool

Negatives:
- Mixed drinks overly sweet and no top shelf liquor
-Food is mediocre. Mexican restaurant is decent.
-Beach is nice, but overcrowded.
-No drink waiters on beach
-Gym= gross/ not air conditioned
-Strict reservation policy and said they were full, but when visiting restaurant no one was there
-No help with lost and found. A few of my guests had items "disappear" (ie cameras/cellphones)
-Pushy photographers with animals
-Disco smells like feet
-Limited TV stations
-Room keys constantly didnít work
-Odd outlets that weren't quite European or American
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM

wow, quite a rant for a first post here.

With all those issues before the actual wedding, why would you ever have continued on with them??

Disgruntled, ex employee??
Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM

I always wondered why people would have a destination wedding and have all the trappings as if they were in the states, i.e. gowns, big ceremony, reception, etc. Planning an out of town wedding with 50 people doesnt sound "stress-free" to me!

It seems to me that if you would go to the beach to wed, you'd do it with a sundress on with your toes in the sand and a drink in your hand. Quick, marry us so I can get back to snorkeling! LOL

Peace, Greenie
Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM

greenie -my kind of wedding.

DD is in a serious relationship and they are going to get married at some point. DD is thinking a nice quiet close family only Caribbean beach wedding. Knowing what I know of the BF's mother we'll be in a stuffy church just outside London with lots of business contacts (theirs not ours) I have suggested that they elope!

I'm a less is more kinda gal!
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM

lcc - you should state what hotel you are referring to either in the title to your post or early on in the post itself. The whole situation sounds like a nightmare. Considering all the negative vibes you were getting you should have switched early on. In any case the fact that they said two weeks before your wedding date that you could not have your beach wedding is inexcusable in my opinion. I am glad your wedding at casa de campo turned out beautiful.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM

I'm confused. What property did you have the bad experience with?
Feb 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM

""Disco smells like feet ""

LOLOLOL!!

Search this Thread