Water problems in San Juan

Nov 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Water problems in San Juan

My husband and I usually travel in Europe twice a year, but this fall we saw a travel show on Old San Juan, and it was so beautiful, we booked airfare and an apartment for a long weekend starting on Veteran's Day. We did not want a car, and, except for a short trip to El Yunque, we did not plan to leave Old San Juan. We were planning to walk, eat, shop( I was hoping to get a chunk of my Christmas shopping done), and rest before the busy season that we both face in the last 2 months of eachyear.

Luckily, yesterday afternoon, I happened to check my email. There was also a message on our machine, but I could not understand anything that was being said because of a bad connection. Our apartment had been cancelled, and the deposit was being returned! The water had been out since Sunday in Old San Juan ( and maybe the rest of the city; I don't know), and she could not rent us the apartment without water. She suggested a hotel that a water "reserve".

I was panicking. We were leaving for the airport at 8AM this morning, and it was close to 6PM last night. The hotel looked good, and the price was about the same as the apartment. I went to Trip Advisor for some feedback. There it was: a report about staying at the hotel in early October of this year when the water was off in the city. The travelers had to take buckets to the top floor hot tub to use for flushing the toilet.

I called my husband for help on what to do, and, strangely, a new person had started work there yesterday. He was very familiar with San Juan and had warned my husband that the water was off very often when it rained a lot. That settled it for me.

We cancelled out flight. Thank goodness, we had used some vouchers to pay for the tickets, so losing $150 each didn't sting as much as it would have had we actually paid for the tickets. We still have leftovers to put towards our trip to Italy in June. I tried to get them applied to tickets I just bought to Florence for January, but it couldn't be done.

Anyway, I have read and read and researched and researched as I always do before trips, and I never saw any mention of this water problem. I don't think it is a new problem, but it is one to be noted if you are planning a trip there in a rainy time.

I like the differences that one finds in other countries, and I am very flexible. I once stayed in an old KGB barracks in Smolensk, Russia for a week. We paid extra for the privilege of a shower. The water was heated for us, and we had to take the shower at whatever time they called us to come to basement shower room, but we had water! I stayed in a dacha outside of Moscow with an outhouse, but we had running water! Maybe that would not be a big problem to other people, but here is a warning to some!!
Nov 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Marty, I was in Old San Juan last month and didn't know there were ever problems with water. My friends and I stayed in Condado but went to San Juan every day. We stayed in an apartment and drank the water with no one getting sick. It is too sad you canceled your trip because San Juan is beautiful.
Nov 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

I didn't cancel, because I was afraid to drink the water; I cancelled, because there was no water! I email the man who was taking us to the rain forest to tell him we would not be there, and his response was, "I wish that could that water problem in San Juan fixed." I think you were lucky that it did not happen to you, or maybe we just picked a bad season. I think it happens when it rains a lot. Since it was to rain off and on the entire weekend, I am afraid it will continue. I still hope to go one day.
Nov 12th, 2010, 05:29 AM
cd

Marty, we will be in San Juan next week and hope we eo not run into the problem you did and I am sorry you had to go thru that. Will you give me the name and phone number or website or email of the man you hired to take you to the rainforest? Thanks
Nov 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM

I have been to San Juan about twenty times over the last 20 years and haven't encountered this problem. There was a period of drought several years back where water was an issue but why would it be a problem when it rains? I am not doubting it - just never heard of it before.
Nov 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Tom42, good for you!
Nov 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

cd: sunsettourspr.com The tour would pick us close to the apartment in Old San Juan which was great for us, because we did not want to deal with a car, parking, and traffic. The cost was $50 per person.