Wanted: Recommendations for tour companies ~ St. John to Virgin Gorda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Husband and I will be visiting St. John for a few days and are looking to take a day trip to one of the BVI. We're not big drinkers (so no booze cruises!) but we do like nice scenery and snorkeling, so I've been told Virgin Gorda is the place to go. Is this true or should we look at one of the other British islands?

Any recommendations for good day trip operators? Please send suggestions!

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM

vg is probably your best bvi.(imho)
if you just want to go to virgin gorda take the ferry. http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_stj_vg.htm
then rent a car or find a taxi.

an option to see lots of territory in a short time is: http://newhorizonscharters.com/
i highly recommend this trip. the boat is fast, takes only about a dozen passengers and goes all the way around tortola. a really fun trip - definitely Not a booze cruise. you should book this trip asap - they are very popular.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
KVR

I second the New Horizons trip. We had a fabulous day. Goes to Pusser's/Marina Cay, Jost Van Dyke, and the Baths at Virgin Gorda.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM

We've gone to Virgin Gorda via two different companies: 1)Limnios out of the Westin is a larger boat and can hold up to 30. It was a fairly comfortable ride and we had only about 20 people when we went. They give you continental breakfast and a cold plate lunch which was fine, and of course, all the beverages you can drink. We stopped at Spanishtown and took a taxi out to the Baths for a 45-60 minute stay and then back to Spanishtown and the boat. We stopped at Norman Islands for snorkeling which was fun. I would recommend this trip if you have children or elderly because the boat is more comfortable. We have also taken Stormy Petrol out of Cruz Bay which is a smaller motor boat and carries about 10 comfortably. They provide some snacks and all the beverages you can drink. We had maybe 7 people and this boat went straight to the Baths. We swam in and stayed about an hour. Then we stopped for lunch at Marina Cay (you pay for your own lunch) and then stopped at Peter Island for snorkeling. This was more intimate and we enjoyed the stop at Marina Cay. Both trips ran about $125/pp and took a full day. BTW, it takes about 90-105 minutes to get from STJ to Virgin Gorda.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM

We also did the New Horizon's II trip and thought it was a great day. It is a nice overview of The BVI's. We did this our first trip to STJ. If I really just wanted to see Virgin Gorda though, I would just take the ferry and have more time there. It really burns up a lot of the day even on a power boat trip just getting to and from VG. If you are leaving in a few days, I would make a decision quick.

Also be aware that because of the big storm on the east coast, big swells are forcasted in the VI's for the next few days. You may want to book later in your trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM

whatever you do, avoid WATERS EDGE SPORTS. The service is less than "island service," which can be a little trying. These people have no concept of customer service and to top it off, lousy equipment. Boat broke down after a couple hours and when asking for a partial refund, the owner disappears. Again DO NOT CHARTER FROM WATERS EDGE SPORTS, they are bad news.