Search

Wanted: Antigua Classic car

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted: Antigua Classic car

Hi

Classic car enthusiast looking to buy an old classic car. Something like an old 1960/'70 Land Rover / Toyota 4WD or other. Not worried about paint / minor rust. Non runner also interesting. Full info + tips please.

Or if anyone has an tips of where to find one - garage / person, I would really appreciate a contact (name + phone + email).

Not sure about registration so if anyone knows the procedure + cost , that would be great.

Stay noble!
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM

are you on antigua looking to buy or in the states hoping to ship? not like i have a rig or any useful info for you but this is definetly a different question for fodors...
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Greetings Ms. Maine from Sweden!

Not in Antigua yet but planning to arrive in Novemeber and keen to line an old classic up.

Yes, it's a bit unusual but hey, makes for something different and new cars tend to be boring at least for me!
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 06:22 AM

I don't mean to be a "downer" but I doubt you'll find any true classic cars on Antigua.

In the Caribbean, the strong sun and salt air plays real havoc on automobiles and anything over 10 years old starts to deteriorate and soon become real rust buckets. You rarely see anything over 15 years old and when you do it's generally a rusted out hulk sitting in someone's yard or just abandoned somewhere in the rainforest.

FYI - in the Caribbean there's no such thing as "minor rust" there's just RUST and plenty of it.

You are seeking a 40 to 50 year old car - I don't know about Antigua but can tell you on the island (not far from Antigua) where I have a home there's nothing anywhere near that old. You'd be hard pressed to find something 20 years old and then it wouldn't be in very good condition - doubtful it would be in running condition - might not even have a motor - you get the picture!!!

The cost of an old car (assuming you could find one) would not be very much - anywhere from a few thousand US and up for what we call an "island beater" - but you'd probably have to sink several thousand more into it in order to make it "safe". Registration is cheap (less than $75US/YR on our island). the "procedure" to register a car is simple - bring your Bill of Sale to the appropriate Governmental Office (sorry don't know what it's called on Antigua), pay the fee and get your license. If Antigua is anything like our island they don't have "Title Documents" for the vehicles.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Doesn;t sound too good but I'm usually quite lucky whereever I go finding an old car. So who knows!

Keep well and thanks again!
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM

hello piers am from Grenada i got a bmc riley its a 1960 model original 14'' rims 1600cc engine not in a bad condition need some love and care everything on it works if anyone is interested u can contact me at [email protected] or call at 419-0445 i got pic if u will like to see