Bahamas with younger child (5yr old) which island is best

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of heading to the Bahamas for Thanksgiving week and trying to decide which island would best suit us. It's overwhelming when looking at all the areas to choose from, we have traveled the Caribbean a lot, however, never to the Bahamas.

We typically like 4 star resorts/villas, I'm not sure if Atlantis is quite for us, since it seems like a super huge property, however, when searching it always comes up as a good kid friendly resort. We don't put our son in kids clubs, we take him with us where ever we go, so that doesn't matter to us. We are open to all inclusive, or condo/villa with a kitchen, however, close by eateries for dinner. We are open to smaller islands, but easy to get to other areas, or sites to see.

We like/prefer to be on the beach. We need places to take our son, so that he doesn't get too bored just hanging at the beach, which then he would drive us crazy! He does love the water, horesback riding, seeing animals, etc. I don' t like to plan a lot, we do use this time to relax and regroup to get back to work, however, we do have to keep him entertained for a few days.

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated. We are also contemplating St. Martin. Thank you in advace Fodorites for you help!
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 04:32 AM

I think one of the reasons you haven't gotten any responses to this thread and the similar one you started regarding St. Martin is you seem to be looking for an "island that is best for 5 YO's" and that's a very odd request.

My point being is your 5YO isn't really going to care which island he visits. You also indicated that you don't plan to put your child in any of the Children's Program that might be available at any given resort so that virtually leaves every resort (other than "adults only" resorts open to you. You haven't given us anything to help narrow down your choices.

There are 5 yo's on every island (after all the locals do have children) but unless you are going to a resort like Atlantis or Beaches, that specializes in family oriented activities you are not going to find a lot of islands that have specific activities that are geared toward 5YO's. Places like Chucky Cheese, Gymboree and Kiddieland are few and far between in the Caribbean. The Caribbean is a major tourist destination and the majority of those tourists are going to be adults thus the activities will be geared toward that age group. so the reality, if you aren't going to enroll your child in a "children's Program" YOU are going to be your child's main source of intertwinement.

So, choose an island that YOU want to visit and your child will have essentially the same experience. Go for walks on the beach or if you choose a mountainous island hike the rain forests, visit old forts (almost every island has one or two), build sand castles, go on a treasure hunt (of course you'll have to first "bury the treasure"), visit the local botanical garden or similar type of venue. In other words, make your own fun!!!

Good luck finding your island.

FYI - I noted that the thread you started on the SXM forum at TTOL get quite a few responses so maybe that will help you with St. Martin.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Roamsaround for your perspective. I've used this forum a lot in the past, however, it seems things have changed around here.

I thought I was quite clear in my request, guess not.

Just looking for help in narrowing down the islands to a place that would be fun for a family of 3 to enjoy. We are experienced travelers to the Caribbean, so yes, I know what's what.

Like I said, things have changed around here, not near as friedly or easy as I remember, some different rules seem to have popped up around here. Too bad, I could always count on friendly, helpful advice, and I reciprocated when I could.

Bummer.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM

What islands have you liked in the past?

What has changed around here?

I have a now 11 year old, who has been to Beaches and Atlantis, been to Out Islands in
Bahamas (with nothing around)

She has adapted to them all! Kids are actually quite resilient, and can have fun on any beach.

I think it's us adults that feel we have to entertain them all the time! 8-)
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Not sure if you are only concentrating on the bahamas but I think Grand Cayman may be a good choice for you...nice mix of adult activities (great beach and many restaurants) plus nice botanical garden, turtle farm, and dolphin discovery program on the island.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 03:35 PM

I agree with mnag. Grand Cayman seems a good fit. Your son can swim with the the Sting Rays, swim with the dolphins, go to the turtle farm, ride horses on the beach and go see the Blue Iguana preservation area. You can also go snorkeling from the beach or take a submarine ride.
Most of the restaurants are kid friendly. Condos, on the beach, are very reasonably priced.