Virgin Islands Losing Popularity?

Aug 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Virgin Islands Losing Popularity?

Has anyone noticed a fall-out in the amount of tourism to the VI? They seem to be less "hot" than they were ten or even five years ago. I've been trying to sell my vacation property down there for a while without much luck; I'm thinking this might be part of the problem. But maybe I'm wrong. What have others noticed?
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I just read this article about 30 minutes ago... according to it, travel to the USVI is down 7% this year, which is still less than many other islands.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20040455/
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Seems to me that I read that summer occupancy is really good in the VI and that a banner cruise ship winter is chugging along but that tourism is slipping a bit across the Caribbean as the article points out. Have to realize that there a whole lot of choices and people are expanding their horizons to islands and places that were almost unknown or undiscovered some 10 years ago.
Then there is the economy. Discretionary income doesn't go very far now-a-days and maybe a trip to the Caribbean and especially the purchase of a second home - especially with the high cost of living in the Caribbean - is just not on people's plates. Of course, msnbc doesn't notice that!
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:58 AM

I have to believe that the Passport situation has an effect on the economy of many islands in the Caribbean. With so many people having problems getting them, it is easier to find destinations closer to home without the hassle of beefed up security at airports and the airlines record for late and cancelled flights.
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:48 AM

We chose Fiji over Virgin Gorda for our "go beach" vacation next summer. I really wanted to try Virgin Gorda, but our $$ are going to go further in Fiji and we wanted to try something that seemed more "exotic". We'll see...
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Not only is the economy (and real estate) in general dropping but vacation properties are starting to lose credibility, especially in the caribbean and other less-regulated areas (I've been watching this market heavily since I work for a few real estate mags). Another good indicator is the rise of companies like Timeshare Relief, that take unsellable vacation properties. Throw on top the recent passport snafu and you've got a crumbling market. I'm considering an article on it, though I don't know how to balance the negative with hope. I'd say hold on to the property for a few more years until the situation improves.
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I have friends who own timeshares in various places. I put in for St. Thomas, on there timeshare which they are sharing with me. I put in for Jan/Feb and can't get anything right now. Nothing is available so I am told. So---go figure. They might have something in Jan. but who knows what air fare will be like then? I like to know "now" what I am doing.