Villas Pappagallo, Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My kids are looking at a great deal here for spring break.
We’ve only stayed in seven mile beach and that was 10 yrs ago.
I think it may be a bit better to be out of the fray. They will have a car.

Any comments on the beach, grocery store location, etc. would sure be helpful.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, as you may know, Cayman is not a typical high school or college Spring Break destination (Not sure the ages of your kids).
Even if you get a great lodging deal, the food, beverage and sightseeing costs will be a lot higher than more traditional destinations. Also, the country is rather conservative with little night life and strict drug and alcohol laws (not casting aspersions on your kids, just stating facts for readers).

That stated, Villas Papagallos is is located in far West Bay in a residential, but rather isolated area. The undeveloped Barkers area is adjacent the complex. We looked to purchase a unit there years ago, but were turned-off by the location. The complex is populated mostly by long term renters and only a few units let short-term/vacation. There is a small beach there with shallow water out to the reef. The seafloor is mostly turtle grass and beachrock, with some sandy areas.

Restaurant Pappagallo is across the street, but that's it for nearby amenities. The Fosters grocery store is a 5-10 minute drive and West Bay Public Beach (closest public beach) is about the same. Your kids should make sure they are eligible/able to rent a car, as many rental companies have a 25 year-old minimum. Without a car, the location makes a holiday pretty much a no go.

Other closer restaurants are the shared location Cracked Conch and Macabuca (Bar & Restaurant) and Al Frescos. The Dolphin Penitentiaries and Turtle Butchery and Farm are nearby as well. The main area of Seven Mile Beach with the majority of dining and nightclubs is a 15-20 minute drive. The Public Beach area near the Kimpton Hotel has Calico Jack's Beach Bar and beach chair rentals. It is a popular cruise ship excursion destination.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. Our “kids” have kids, our grandkids, ages 12 nd 17.
They did not want the typical “spring break” wildness. Even if it doesn’t draw the drinkers, just an overwhelming amount of people end to end is a deterrent.

So out of the main chaos of spring break week appealed. Yes, seven mile beach is great but I do remember so many, many people and we were there a little before spring break.

It looks like the West Bay Area will have sufficient shops, etc. I do remember driving thru there and I am assuming that 10 years later it is even more built up with shops, etc.

So, that said, TurtleTagger, what do you think? Your input, and other FODORITES, is invaluable.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on that additional info, I'd have your kids look for a condo on the Northern end of Seven Mile Beach. Waking up on vs having to drive to Beach. Close to many more restaurants and shopping, but still tranquil, low-rise and uncrowded. Aqua Bay, Christopher Columbus, Silver Sands, Discovery Point, London House, or Heritage House are some properties to check out.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

I checked those out...all full except 1 that was way too expensive.
They are late to the game so choices are limited.