Vieques Ferry, San Juan Parking, Bio Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Puerto Rico for 7 days later this month and we have three concerns: 1) Several online reports warn about the less than ideal scheduling/reliability of ferries to Vieques Island; 2) Similarly, I've read that driving and/or parking in old San Juan can be quite problematic; and 3) I'm wondering if someone has reliable recent information about the Bio Bay near Esperanza. Again, I've come across conflicting reports that say it's "not to be missed", or, others saying it was disappointing.

I hope a recent visitor can offer their opinions, possibly quell some of our concerns or offer a few tips. Our trip to Vieques will be from Thursday to Saturday morning only. Just remembered that I've had absolutely no luck trying to find a jeep or golf cart from the three or four agencies listed online. Are there other possibilities that may not be well-known/advertised? Thanks so much!
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 08:00 PM

Hey, sorry you didn't get a response before your trip! Did you end up flying to Vieques (with which airline)? Did you end up finding a Jeep (where)?

thank you!
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

We did not fly. Took the ferry to save money and just for the experience. Obviously flying would have been a lot faster and maybe a better choice considering everything. But I like a taste of the unexpected.

I learned the hard way that you must reserve a jeep, small SUV or golf cart weeks or months in advance, depending on the time of year. Somehow, someway, we got lucky: We managed to find a golf cart about 2-3 weeks in advance of the trip. Trust me, I checked all the rental agencies many many times, and a golf cart was all I could get. Turns out, it was GREAT! (unless your idea of a vacation is to get somewhere faster than you should ..... But then, it's supposed to be a V A C A T I O N. Remember?
We stayed in Esperanza and loved the laid-back living on "island time." Check out the Playa Negra (black sand) beach, and do not miss the bio-luminescent bay (by way of a kayak). Fantastic! (If you think a golf cart is too slow, consider that it's quite a bit faster than the native horses that roam the island. Have fun !