Using USA credit cards in Cuba

Old Feb 6th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using USA credit cards in Cuba

I've contacted two hotels in Cuba that do not allow USA-issued credit cards to be used. Is this true for most hotels, restaurants, etc. in Cuba? Just want to double check with USA citizens who have been there recently (hopefully in 2017). Thanks for any and all information.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM

True. U.S. based companies' credit cards DO NOT WORK in Cuba.
The only exception I know of is to apply to Stonegate Bank online. You must do this with sufficient time ahead of the trip to process your application and receive the card. If you have decent credit, it shouldn't be a problem to get a card.
However, not much in Cuba (casas particulares/B&Bs, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, etc) actually use credit cards of any kind. It's a cash economy.
It is also a very safe place, so don't be worried about carrying lots of cash. (It is more expensive than you might think, though, so take 1.5 or 2 times what you think you might need, just in case.) Some casas have a safe in the room, but not all; cash should be safe in locked luggage.

If you decide to stay in casas (as most independent travelers do) instead of expensive hotels, you can also book the same casas as on other casa sites (like Cuba Junky, where you book directly with the host, then pay on arrival), for more money (maybe double) though through AirBnB, but using a credit card from home. Your choice.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, SambaChula, for the information about credit cards and cash. So unique to carry cash in our credit card world!
Thanks also for the web site Cuba Junky.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 01:31 PM

It really depends on where you travel, and I suppose, how "budget". Depending on where you are, ATMs are not always reliable or safe (cloning, muggings), and not everyplace accepts credit cards.

Enjoy your Cuba trip.
There are now several regular posters here who have been there who can help with any further questions.
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 02:50 PM

We went to Cuba as independent travelers in December 2016. As Samba said, US cards are not accepted, other than the Stonegate card.

https://www.stonegatebank.com/credit_cards.htm

We chose to get that card (a very easy process - took a little over a week) because were staying in hotels. The card was accepted in all our hotels and in one paladar (private restaurant) - Cafe el Ajiaco in Cojimar, a suburb of Havana. We have since heard that we could have used the card to get cash in banks and cadecas (money exchange places). You will still need cash for most restaurants, guides, taxis and souvenirs. We took Euros for our other expenses because US dollars have a 10% surcharge for exchange. Our friends bought art there and were able use a bank transfer. Happy to answer more questions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 04:58 PM

CUBA: A different topic:
Going to Cuba next week... I see that suggested gifts are toothpaste, hygiene products,towels... etc.
I know from being a baseball fan that they're crazy about the game... so, I bought a sack of shiny new major league baseballs to give away to kids at random...I would have "killed" to have one of those growing up in Chicago with our no-cover/electrically-taped/ dead balls.
However, I was told by someone recently back that we can only take personal items and they'll probably be confiscated upon entry!
I have called the Cuban Embassy in WDC... no answer; have asked AmerAirlines baggage dept (they're researching).
I'd hate to lug them from SF and have them confiscated by officious folks in the Havana airport.
Does anyone have any REAL info or whom I should ask?
[email protected]
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 06:26 AM

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MINDSET ABOUT CUBA !
Yours isn't an unusual attitude for first timers with third hand info, but it is not a useful one, one that will serve you well (or those you think you are helping).
Do not unfairly compare Cubans' lifestyle to the quality of life/salary for folks in countries like yours, but in comparison to the quality of life of others in the region, in which Cubans compare quite favorably.

"I see that suggested gifts are toothpaste, hygiene products, towels... etc.
... I know from being a baseball fan that they're crazy about the game... so, I bought a sack of shiny new major league baseballs to give away to kids at random"

GIFTS? Do you go around giving away cr@p to kids on the street at home? No? Then DO NOT do it in Cuba. Give the baseballs to your local team or return them to the store.

If you have friends there and know their specific needs and desires, bring them what they have specifically requested.
Otherwise, understand that they CAN get what they need; there are frequently shortages, though, for a fixed time, and the consumer culture (want, want, want--new, new, new) is not nearly as strong there as it is in your home.

You will likely only come in contact with the most well-off group of people in Cuba, those who work in the tourist sector. They, particularly, are not lacking, in the general scheme of things in Cuba. (Resort workers, for example, are likely to sell whatever is brought in multiples by multiple tourists, on the black market for pennies on the dollar value. That's how much they are in need of your junk.) You, as a regular tourist, are not likely to be in areas or around people who are in the most need anyway.

If you insist on trying to bring medical supplies, think of bringing them in large quantity (a very large duffle bag worth hundreds of dollars, perhaps, bought with $ collected from your neighbors or church--less is not really worth the effort), contact one of the charter airlines in Miami (better informed, since they have been flying Cubans home to visit with this stuff for years) to find out what special arrangements you may have to make to enter the country with genuine "humanitarian aid" (medicines), and know beforehand which religious institution or clinic is willing to accept them. (I can suggest one if you wish.)

The best thing you can bring is an open mind, and the best tip is in cash.

Please rethink your plans and thoughts on Cuba and Cuban people.
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 06:28 AM

If you wish to follow through with bringing bulk medical supplies:
Here is a link to a thread on bringing medical supplies in quantity to Cuba, which in turn links to yet another thread on the topic. There are mentions of legitimate places to bring those supplies.
There is also a mention of what it takes to transit with humanitarian aid.
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Hi JAGrippo, I know people who routinely take soccer balls (uninflated, a dozen or so). I would think you'd be fine with baseballs - a cool idea - as long as you don't take too many. Nobody looked in our luggage at customs. Could be because we went with just carry on, but as long as you're not overloaded, you will probably breeze right through.

You will run into sports-loving kids everywhere - my 20-something sons had opportunities for all kinds of pick up games with young children. I don't think giving out baseballs will promote begging or the evils of capitalism as inferred above. But If you don't want to donate to random kids, your guide can arrange a visit to a school. (We donated pens to a middle school in Viñales.)

We also took bass strings to a conservatory (guitar strings and reeds are also MUCH needed, if you have access to them). In addition we packed Costco-size bottles of Advil, Alleve, Benedryl and other over-the-counter meds. We donated them to the non-denominational free clinic operated by El Patronato, the synagogue in Central Havana. You can set this up in advance by emailing Adele at [email protected] or [email protected]
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 03:00 PM

The office at El Patronato is usually open during normal business hours during the week, so it's possible to do a drop-in.
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 04:03 PM

And it's in Vedado, not Centro.
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 10:32 AM

They wouldn't take my Capital One credit card. Also, when I went to exchange MY currency for theirs, they were paying something like 60 cents on the dollar. I can't believe their cuban dollar is so strong, but what do I know? Bring enough Cuban money (change it before you leave) - I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 02:14 PM

You can't get Cuban money outside of Cuba, but we did bring Euros to avoid the 30% excess charge for exchanging US dollars. As stated above we also got the Stonegate credit card to pay for our hotel, but we didn't use it for cash (I believe that you can now, but I'm not sure about fees.)
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 02:58 PM

Reality check, people.
"They" exchange U$1 for 0.87 CUC (that's a 3% transaction fee on whatever currency you exchange and 10% penalty for changing US dollars, because of the embargo). That is at any bank, any cadeca, and most hotels in Cuba.
If you got "something like 60 cents on the dollar (if the dollar in question is US), you got cheated. Or is the "MY currency" something other than U$ ????? CDN???
It is NOT CORRECT to advise folks "to avoid the 30% excess charge for exchanging US dollars" because, as above, it is not nearly 30%; it is 13%.
Bad info just multiplies itself online, like a game of telephone.
U$1000 = 870 CUC exchanged directly in Cuba at official rate
but
U$1000 = 880 Euros (at the bank in US)
those 880 Euros = 917 CUC in Cuba
So you do better by 47 CUC by changing U$ to Euro at home and then Euro to CUC in Cuba. TODAY that is. (Exchange rates vary daily.)

You can also ask your casa owner to exchange at a higher rate, or to find a friend of his/hers that will. You might get (as reported by others) U$1 = 0.96 CUC or so.
------------------------------------------------------------
__________________________________________________ __________

Most everything is in cash, unless you go high end and pay upscale prices, much more for food and lodging. So even with the Stonegate card in your pocket, it might not be very useful.
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 07:49 AM

Sorry - the USD penalty was indeed 10% +3%, not 30%. We had leftover euros and got the rest through work at a favorable rate, so it was a no brainer for us.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 06:20 AM

Also, if you apply to Stonegate Bank for a cc, make sure you sign the "declaration form" or it will not work in Cuba.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM

No go on US Credit Cards. So, if like us and don't want a new credit card, it was a matter of trying to figure money out ahead of trip. I had euros and easily exchanged those right outside tha Havanna airport at a reasonable rate. Meals, even eating at the more expensive restaurants in Havanna, were less than I expected. But artwork was more than I anticipated. So, we found ourselves at a bank halfway through the trip, waiting for over an hour to exchange for euros for CUCs. We later in the trip found a bank with shorter lines.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
italynovice, we found that some banks had much shorter queues than others just round the corner - we never did work out why that might be. As for exchange rates they are fixed, wherever you change money, whether in the Eteca or the bank as they are fixed by the Cuban Gov. [unless of course you change money on the street which is not advisable].
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 10:10 AM

"As for exchange rates they are fixed, wherever you change money,"

This is apparently only true for the exchange rate for US dollars (as was pointed out on the Thorn Tree Cuba forum by those regular, knowledgable travelers who have been going to Cuba regularly for decades). As these posters pointed out, it is not the case for Euros, CDN, GBP or other currency.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Our experience, SambaChula, was that wherever we went in Cuba, and however we changed money, be it at a bank or Cadeca, or indeed by taking it out at an ATM, we got the same rate, subject of course daily variations.

reading that site [thanks for the link, BTW!] apart from one place which is apparently notorious [and you have to search hard to find which it is] the variations complained of appear to be very small - a few cents each way.

As I say, I can only go on our experience which is as I said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -