Upscale/Romantic/Great Service Caribbean Resorts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a resort in the Caribbean to be pampered. Must be romantic, have beautiful beaches/crystal blue water, great service (including beach and pool services), beautiful rooms, spa, good restaurants within resort as well as convenient to other restaurants/nightlife.
Have already been to Anguilla, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Tobago, Bermuda.
Here is what I've looked into so far....
I have looked into Turks/Caicos, but find the hotels to be more secluded, hence not offering the kind of beach/pool service I am looking for.
Have also looked into Caneel and Little Dix, but same thing.
I was interested in Four Seasons Nevis, but the sand/water is not what I'm looking for.
Ocean Club looks great, but not willing to spend over $800/night for garden view room.
Would love to try FS Great Exuma, but the travel to get there is a little long.
Do I have too many requirements?!!!
Any help would be appreciated. I have read all the forums, but still can't find that perfect place!!
Thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Check out Sandy Lane in Barbados. Rebuilt in the last few years, on the best beach on a fabulous island.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:14 AM
May

I've heard mixed reviews about Barbados and some have said they didn't think the island was "that pretty." I have little experience with the Caribbean so can you share your thoughts on the aesthetics of Barbados? Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
DerekD

I have to say that of all the islands I have been to, Barbados was my least favourite. I don't think I would ever bother going back. Maybe I stayed in the wrong area (South Coast). Maybe I didn't know what to expect, but I found the island to be bland and the people to be downright sullen, especially in the restaurants.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM

Ahh...you're searching for perfection !

Have you considered a private villa in Jamaica ? Fully-staffed with cook, laundress, butler, and from what I understand, pampering is the rule of the day.

You might want to take a look at the archives for comments regarding villas by Linda Smith. Tiverton House has some lovely properties...and he speaks highly of the villas on Bluefield Bay.

Jamaica Inn will fulfill most of your requirements....especially the service request. I stayed there for two weeks last year and will always be a devoted fan of this elegant property.

Another thought is The Beach House in Barbuda...it certainly is aiming for an upscale market and the beaches should be magnificent.

Howard C, who contributes here, is lucky enough to be going to The Beach House in February. I'm sure he will post one of his wonderful trip reports for all of us to enjoy.

Good luck in your search...and let us know your choice !

Marion
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM

I'll expand on my previous reply re Barbados, and Sandy Lane. If you limit yourself to the congested capital, Bridgetown, or the coastal area to the south, you will get the impression that the place is nothing special. If you stay on the west coast, you will be in one of the most upscale areas of the entire Caribbean. (Tiger Woods took over the Sandy Lane Resort for his wedding a few months ago). The countryside away from the built up hotel and commercial areas is very pretty, with cane sugar fields, tropical gardens, nature preserve, a cave, restored plantation houses, beaches. Many good hotels, outstanding restaurants, both in hotels and independent. Clean air, drinking water some of the purest in the world. Lovely people in a strong economy for that part of the world, not dependent only on tourism.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Sandy Lane would definetly be my #1 choice, but the price tag is just a tad steep!! Any other suggestions or know how to get a discounted rate?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Coral Reef Club in Barbados is not as pricey as Sandy Lane, but a wonderful place, with low-rise or cottage accommodations, lovely grounds, nice beach. Very classy. See www.coralreefbarbados.com and www.caribisles.com