Underwater camera suggestions, please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a reusable underwater camera with a flash--either 35mm or digital. If 35mm, we'd like to keep cost under $50. If digital, will to pay more. We've seen a few one-time use ones available on dive websites but would prefer something a bit more lasting. We're snorkelers, not divers, so we won't need anything for particuarly deep water, if that makes a difference. I'd love to get your feedback on cameras y'all have used successfully, and whether my cost projections are reasonable. Thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Sunnyboy

Check out www.seamaster-cameras.com

They have a variety of underwater cameras ranging in price from a simple 35mm for about $35 to a professional quality digital camera set for about $400

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Sunnyboy

Ups!! got my names confused it's the ReefMaster series of cameras by Sealife. The web-site is:

www-sealife-cameras.com

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I have also seen bags, almost like zip-lock bags, i can't remember who sells them, LL Bean or Eddie Bauer or something, that you can put a regular camera into and it seals to protect it. So if you already have a good camera, you can just use that one. I think i originally read about it on a post on fodors, so maybe do a brief search to see if anything comes up.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM

The throwaway cameras really work great, (and they do recycle them!) and if your budget is that low, I'd stick with the throwaways. We've gotten some gorgeous shots with them, and if you don't use up all the film underwater, they work just fine for above water too! They are available everywhere (at least in Fla they are), Walgreen, Walmart, etc, for under $15.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Just make sure that they don't get too hot! Last year, we went to St.John and it was pretty hot. The camera looked fine, but the film ended up having "issues" from the heat and all of our pictures were ruined. There's always the memories I guess, but you might want to look into one that will be okay in the heat (if there is such a thing)!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I've tried the throwaways on a few occasions and was not pleased with the underwater shots. It may have been just that brand (probably Kodak, but not sure), but the photos were not the same quality as our above the water shots. I think some of that can be alleviated with a flash underwater, but I'm a beginner here and am willing to be taught otherwise. Also, sunscreen does not agree with the throwaways--one tube got squeezed open in my beach bag and ruined the viewfinder on one of the throwaways.

Sunnyboy, I've been to that website before after reading a sidebar about their offerings in Caribbean Travel & Life magazine. I just tried it again now and was frustrated for the same reason--couldn't find any prices and couldn't order anything online. Am I missing something? Thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Sunnyboy

They don't give prices on that web-site but do a google search (type in "Reefmaster Cameras" and you'll find links to a lot of dealers who sell on-line as well as web-sites like www.bizrate.com where you can compare prices for all the different models.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM

So many inexpensive cameras that take great shots. The Sealife Digital Cameras are great because you can add to the basic camera, if your interest increases, with Sealife flashes and lenses. They have a quick review so you can preview your pictures, delete ones that didn't come out right, etc. Sea & Ski is another underwater camera brand that's proven to be effective. I'd suggest visiting a scuba dive shop in your area and look at what they have to offer. There's so many different types of cameras. Robert