Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

ultimate best once-in-a-lifetime destination in Caribbean/Central America ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 20th anniversary trip. We've been to a lot of beautiful places, but we've never been to a beach resort together. We're thinking maybe 5 nights or so on or near the Caribbean in Sept. - Nov., or maybe January. Our priorities are: oceanfront, romantic, secluded, great food, upscale. A predominantly "family" resort would probably make me homesick for my young children, but we'll pass on the hokey couples theme nights too. We'd really appreciate any suggestions.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Little Dix, Virgin Gorda; Jumby Bay, Antigua, Cuisinart, Anguilla. I am planning Four Seasons, Nevis for October. I loved St. John, but if I were going back there, I would go to Caneel Bay. Hurricane season extends until mid November, I think.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM

For my 20th., we went to Anse Chastanet on St. Lucia, which is everything you described. We hope to return someday, it was wonderful. I'd go in Jan. rather than the fall, thinking it might be drier. I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Pink Sands Harbour Island, Bahamas
Cap Jaluca Anguilla
Little dix Bay, Peter island, or Caneel Bay, all Virgin Islands
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Where would you be flying from? Some of the destinations require an overnight stay to make connections. With only 5 days you would need to narrow your choices to ones with reasonable travel times.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Flying out of Pittsburgh. 5 nights isn't etched in stone - just don't want to be away from the kids too long.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Hey I'm from Pgh too so I can tell you this if you don't want to be away from the kids to long and only 5 days, think about something a little closer to the 'Burgh. Have you considered something in the BVI's or USVI's Puerto Rico too. My trip for Nov will be to St. Lucia and I will have to overnight in San Juan to make the connection the next day. I am making that trip the week before Thanksgiving so connections may have been tighter than usual with the holiday.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM

www.corallodge.com
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I think with five days, the USVI or the BVI's would be the best choice to run away to as well. Many have ocean views no matter what type of room you have, although you may end up staying high on a hillside or right down by the beach. Long Bay on Tortola could offer you a choice of rooms with a canopy bed or a junior suite with a jacuzzi.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Oops! neither is the place for a quick getaway...But JUST for fun look at www.aprivateisland.com
Someday!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Happy Anniversary! We went to Caneel Bay for our 20th in 2004 and loved every minute...splurge and get a room on Scott Beach. St. John is truly a hidden gem...the snorkeling, the sunsets, the food....I can't say enough. We're renting a villa and taking our kids next April.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Surfing the web just wasn't doing it. Now . . . to get into that bathing suit!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

What about Bermuda?
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM

It's been many years since I was there, was during the month of August which made the weather much like the Outer Banks or SC. I loved Bermuda and back then said I would not return unless with a man (last time was a bunch of us girls), I have yet to return but would still love to someday. Found a great guy but he's just not into an island vacation. Sept Oct the weather should still be nice, and I would think late fall early winter should be mild although don't know if it's actual beach weather. I'm sure there are many heare to advise you appropriately. Congrats and please let us know what you decide.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:57 AM

hi anzer, bermuda could be chilly in jan.
have you considered turks and caicos. provo has numerous up-scale resorts, some of best dining in carib, outstanding diving and snorkeling. stunningly beautiful beach - grace bay - voted one of 10 most beautiful in world.
possiblities: turks and caicos club, the alexandra, the palms, or point grace. also for more upscale and secluded parrot cay or amanyara.
faithie - the coral lodge looks fabulous!! some friends are looking for a honeymoon resort - they got engaged on ship while doing canal in panama - so this could be perfect.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:26 AM

They should look at these
www.islassecas.com
www.haciendadelmar.com
Sooo many cool places out there!!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Sorry
www.haciendadelmar.net
Enjoy!!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

virginia - thanks for the info. My brother and sil went to T&C last year. Sounds beautiful but a little too remote - I'm afraid I'd have to be sedated by the 3rd day (maybe by our 30th when I'm more mature . . .)! Haven't quite let go of Bermuda in Oct. or Nov., but am leaning toward St. John, Virgin Gorda or Nevis. Been to any of those?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:55 AM
iw

Ahh, Nevis. There are many quaint plantation type places to stay at that would be romantic and secluded. The Four Seasons is beautiful and upscale, but we did notice families there. On the other hand, there were just as many honemooners. Great food on the island at Mingles, Coconut Grove, Oualie Beach Hotel and Bananas.
I have not been to the other places that you mentioned. Nevis is easy to get to through San Juan or Miami....not sure about from your area.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I didn't mention Nevis as you had stated five days. Depending on flights from Pittsburgh, if you would be able to get there in a reasonable amount of time, you could expect an outstanding vacation. The beaches are average, but it's an excellent choice for a romantic time. You will be able to be reasonably secluded. Very unique dining at several plantations. The Four Seasons is designed to please and during the months you are looking at, there shouldn't be many children. Additionally, they place the families at the other end from the couples and the pools are separate, so that should help you in focusing on your anniversary time. Congratulations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -