Turks or Harbour Island / Eleuthera?

Jan 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Turks or Harbour Island / Eleuthera?

Would island(s) would you choose for great beaches, great restaurants, friendly people?

It seems that both Turks & Caicos and Harbour Island/Eleuthera have great beaches.. but it seems a bit easier to get to Turks & Caicos.
Was it easy travelling to Eleuthera & Harbour Island?

Which island is better for snorkeling & long walks on uncrowded beaches? Finally,
has anyone had problems with too many mosquitos at either island?
Feb 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM

Both destinations have amazing beaches and reasonably friendly people, but if it's dining that is your principal interest, I'd have to give the edge to Provo. The Out Islands of the Bahamas are OK for dining (and they've come a looong way, believe me!), but not really a place where great restaurants have sprung up.

Really, all other things being equal, if you're into food and beaches, I'd suggest Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barth, and even Grand Cayman, but they are all very distinct destinations, some less crowded than others.

As for mosquitos, I've been eaten alive at times on every island I've ever visited, and been left alone at other times -- and it ain't just the mosquitos! No-see-ums can be an issue anywhere there is a beach. How bad they are depends not so much on the island as on the weather conditions while you are there. If there has been recent rain, and/or it's not windy, you're more likely to get bitten.
Feb 1st, 2008, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

St. Barth looks wonderful.
Out of all these islands we've mentioned, which would you return to first? I've narrowed it down to Cayman, St. Barth, Eleuthera/Harbour Island & Turks.

There's something about Harbour Island that appeals to me: the pink beaches and seeing the horses.
Feb 1st, 2008, 06:25 AM

I personally would not return to Provo or Grand Cayman because they are each far too developed for my taste (but that's just MY taste), Grand Cayman moreso than Provo, but that seems only to be a matter of time. I have an aversion to anyplace where parasailing and jetskis are part of the scenery!

I haven't been to Harbor Island (have been to Eleuthera), but I would go there in a heartbeat -- in fact, I'm trying to convince my sister she needs to have a girls' weekend there for her 40th, but she's in denial about that impending date. But I wouldn't go there for the fine dining! I would go there because I'm an Out Island fanatic.

I'm of mixed mind about St. Barth. Food -- it's excellent. It's a very cosmopolitan kind of place, with very high end appeal (and the prices to match). But the beaches are generally not the long walkable kind and instead are more like the cove-like beaches of the BVI. I'd have to be in the mood for that kind of vacation.

If you were willing to consider someplace a little more difficult to travel, I would suggest Grenada. At least one long, emblematic beach (Grand Case) with lots of smaller but no less appealing beaches; a vibrant and truly homegrown cuisine; and the friendliest people I've encountered anywhere in the Caribbean.

But if Harbour Island is calling you, then by all means, heed that call. Instincts are rarely wrong.
Feb 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM

Hi Callalou,
I read your message and remembered a story- a friend of mine from New Orleans went to a wonderful birthday party in Harbour Island when the husband of the honoree booked a group of about 12 of her (girl)friends into the Dunmore Beach Club for a week for her 40th birthday. They had a wonderful time and had lots of stories to tell. When I was there months later the staff all remembered them and had their own (positive) stories. I think it would be a great place for a girlfriend celebration - and the food was actually quite good FOR the Bahamas. Keep talking to your sister!!!
Feb 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Callaloo,
Thanks so much for the comparisons.
I really appreciate it.