Turks/Caicos or Grand Cayman??

Jan 29th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Turks/Caicos or Grand Cayman??

I am thinking about going to T&C or GC in late April or early May and am having a hard time choosing an island. My boyfriend and I are 27 and want a gorgeous beach, with white sand, good snorkeling, and possibly good diving for beginners (if we get certified in time ;-0 ). We would like somewhere somewhat upscale but still have budget constraints that make something like the Ritz out of range. We would like to have some options for nightlife, but will be alone and don't desire anything wild or crazy at all. Mainly, we want a beautiful setting with plenty to do and some options for romance and fun at nighttime. Also, we do not want to contend with lots of construction around us. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!
Jan 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I've been to both islands and loved them both. GC seemed to be more expensive to me over TCI - the U.S. dollar is worth only $0.80. So right off the bat you lose 20%. They both have great beaches, but I would say TCI definitely has the better beach...Grace Bay Beach is just incredible. Both have great snorkeling - but we saw more in TCI than in GC. Food was good in both, but we loved the restaurants better in TCI.

The only thing about TCI is that there isn't much nightlife at all. Most/all activities are geared around beach/water....not a whole lot else. Which is great for my husband and I because that is what we love! GC has other nice touristy places to visit that aren't necessarily beach related. There is some construction going on in TCI right now, but nothing that bothered us. In GC... the cruise ships stop in Georgetown every couple days and you definitely want to stay away when the cruise ships are docked...the crowds are a nightmare!! Shopping was better in GC than in TCI.

Again... this is just my opinion. TCI is very romantic and we had a great time. We had lots of fun in GC as well- but we preferred TCI. Nightlife isn't a factor for us because we're from Vegas (I get all I can stand)!!

You will have fun in both!!! Good luck!
Jan 29th, 2007, 04:55 PM
KVR

We've been to both also. I agree with most of what VegasM has stated. I disagree that T & C has the better snorkeling. Maybe diving, (we don't dive) but not snorkeling. The snorkeling in GC was the best of any Island we've been to so far, and we have been to many.

We did AI in GC and loved it. We didn't in T &C and was very disappointed. The prices are high in both places.

GC has more things to see and do, better shopping, and better nightlife. Grace Bay in T & C is nicer than 7 Mile Beach in GC, but 7 Mile Beach is nothing to scoff at. We rate it 2nd. We loved GC and will be going back in April on a cruise. We didn't care for T&C and wouldn't return. To boring for us.
Jan 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM

I agree too. I preferred T&C because I like peace and quiet at night. To me, GC was too crowded and noisy. The snorkeling is much better in GC; from both shore and boat. GC is very expensive; but the restauants are fabs. T&C has the nice restaurants and some places have music at night. T&C is what GC was 10 years ago.

Peace, Greenie
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Just back from T&C...didn't do any boat snorkeling trips but did go to Smith's Reef every day for snorkeling. The reef is very close to the beach (as in you swim out to it). We saw a ton of fish and a stingray while we were there. On the majority of our days no one else was there.

Nightlife--- not too much to speak of...We spent a few nights playing pool in the irish "pub" Danny Bouys and did karaoke night at another bar nearby Bamboozed on a Thursday. We did hear that there was somewhere to go salsa dancing on Wednesday but we didn't make it out.

I'm about your age and went with my boyfriend too. We had a romantic time; our nights were pretty tame though. Just sharing a bottle of wine on the beach was a pleasure...

The beach is beautiful--the island is pretty scrubby honestly though. Don't expect palm trees, etc... We had a great time though and I would recommend it to couples just trying to get away for a quick trip.

How long will your trip be?
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Greenie,
"To me, GC was too crowded and noisy"... next time, stay on the other side of the island. It's a whole different atmosphere.

However, not to mislead anyone - to me the 7MB is still not like the beach/hotel area of Aruba.
Jan 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
KVR

LvSun, your right. 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman is nothing like Palm Beach in Aruba. Eagle Beach in Aruba is more quite though. We loved both GC and Aruba. Though T & C has the best beach hands down, it couldn't keep us entertained for a week. I much prefer the activies in Mexico, GC and Aruba.
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses. It is still a really hard decision...perhaps the hotels and prices should be the deciding factors...Any more input on hotels or activities for either place would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jan 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Contact this guy who wintered there for 27 years...he can help you decide...

[email protected]
Jan 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
KVR

Maybe some pictures would help. Here's ours for both places and several more Islands.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:01 AM

Of the 2, I have only been to GC.We loved it.

We are a family of 5,so we stayed in a condo on Northern 7mile beach.

I would recommend Comfort Suites on 7 Mile beach to you as it is very convenient to restaurants and nightlife.We also met a couple who were staying there and had no complaints.

GC has lots of things to see and do.The best snorkeling that we have come acrossed (we have been to Aruba,Kaua'i,GC and St John).

The restaurants are wonderful.Coconut Joe's is a fun place to hang out at and have drinks and it's very close to Comfort Suites.

A trip to Stingray City is highly recommended.

7 Mile beach is not a hopping/busy beach like someone mentioned.Aruba's Palm Beach is way more busy.

Hope that this helps!

Christie
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:27 PM

A few comments about Comfort Suites in Grand Cayman....get at least a 1BR suite. We went with the studio last summer and at all other places it's been big enough, but CS rooms are small. And there is no balcony at all, just a window. It's also not exactly beachfront as it says, you have to walk through a path to get to the beach. The hotel is OK if you're minding your budget, but if we went back, I'd stay at Marriott next door. It's still in the same area so you could walk to all the same restaurants, but is a much nicer resort. We went to T&C two years ago and are more than likely returning there this summer.
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM

mbl,

It might not be the Comfort Suites that I am thinking of...the place that I was thinking was a good location is across the street (on the beach)from Coconut Joe's. It might have been a Marriott property...not sure though.

Christie