Turks & Caicos Cell Phone Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a few posts concerning cell phones but am still in the dark!

I bought a gsm unlocked Motorola Razor and need a sim card that will work in the T & C islands - North Caicos and Provo. I have a phone in both houses we are renting but need something more mobile. I will need to have access to calls to the US and be able to receive calls from Italy and Spain. (My lucky son is studying abroad for the summer.)

Can anyone recommend a company to purchase a sim card? I googled and came up with too many to chose from. I leave the 23rd of June for 2 weeks.

Anyone have experience with the T & C sim cards?????

Thanks,
Beachgirl
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

...and please don't beat me up. I don't like cell phones on beaches or restaurants. Just need one in my room for a little security on my part while my son is overseas. I am all for getting away from it all.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:39 PM

DIGICEL.

Digicel would be the Cell company of choice.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Beach girl

Actually I am checking the facts to see if Digicel has launched yet in T & C. Will get back to you to let you know.
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Cable and Wireless is the only phone company in TC. I'm pretty sure you can buy a sim card there. You cannot have a "plan" hooked up, or it won't work. Try www.tciway.tc for your options, click on the "globe" on the upper left.
Sometimes they run specials on cell phones, "pay as you go". For $50, you get the phone includes $10 worth of calls. Incomming calls are free.
I've been playing the phone game there for years, somethings work one time, not the next. Good Luck!
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Blamona: thanks. I tried calling them but could never get through so I've sent an email to them and will post their repsonse when I hear back from them.

Boltie: thanks, please let me know what you find out. I found !

Thanks y'all!
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Yes, you can buy a SIM card at Cable & Wireless in Provo. It was $30 - which included the card itself and $10 prepaid minutes. You can get prepaid minutes to use. Did this last year.

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mymoosie. I will buy one when I get there.

I never heard back from Cable and Wireless so thanks for the info!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:40 AM

Beach girl-
Let me know how it goes. I will be there in August and have the same issues. When calling T&C cable and wireless no one seems know anything aboout pre-paid sim's. My be I can buy your sim when your are finished with it.
Thanks,
Dean2
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

I talked with a real person -- however, she was located in Jamaica and not T & C. She found out that I can buy a sim card at an IGA or the phone store in Provo. Can't do it by mail.

So, we'll have to leave the airport in Provo to get the sim card then head back to the airport to take our plane to North Caicos. (I doubt there is a phone store on North Caicos - but I'm checking.)

Only 21 more days!!!! Yippeeee!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:09 PM

beachgirl247: All of Cable and Wireless Customer Service is in Jamaica!!!!
There are outlets everywhere, where are you staying at North Caicos? I'm sure they can tell you about a sim card.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

We are renting Datai House on Whitby beach. I will email them to see if they can answer my questions.

I mentioned Jamaica because on the phone prompt I chose T & C and each time (3 calls) someone answered telling me they couldn't help me for T & C because they were in Jamaica not T & C. On my 4th try, the girl helped me out by putting me on hold and contacting someone to ask T & C questions. I was just happy to get an answer from them! lol

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

I was in Provo two weeks ago and my Cingular phone worked fine there. You really have no need for a new card. Especially if it's only for incoming emergencies.
It also has worked in Jamaica, Cozumel, Panama, Cayman and Costa Rica!

RL
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Ron,
Do you know if it works on North Caicos island? The owner of our house said that he thought it would work on N. Caicos if it worked in Provo but I'd like to know if you had experienced service there.

thanks.

LEAVING IN 72 HOURS!!! YIPPEEEE
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Call your cell provider. I have a razr phone w/t-mobile, and was able to activate worldphone and used it for my recent trip to cayman islands. I made two calls totally 10 min and it only cost me $13.41 in roaming charges. With no hassles! I didn't have to go anywhere and rent a phone and return it, yadda yadda.

T-mobile works in T&C @ $1.49 per minute (just checked website). I'd call my cell phone provider. According to the T-mobile website, the razr v3 works in T&C, you just have to activate the service..and it's free!

Peace, greenie
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:47 AM

Hey friend, I hope you read this message in time. I've tried pretty often to program my cell phone to work internationally, but each time there has been some ridiculous problem or another with a lot of different carriers. Go ahead and do what you can with the phone and the service, but also, just as an insurance policy, carry prepaid calling cards -- last time I was in Guatemala and my cell wasn't receiving calls, it was only my onesuite cards that saved my business. That's just been my experience, but I think it's a good warning about int'l travel.

Jackson
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM

good advice from the last post, but prepaid calling cards definately don't work in T&C.
I've played the phone game there for years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have Cingular, and everytime I call them for T&C, they think Turkey. They've never heard of T&C.
I'm sure you'll have better luck, as each time I visit, things seem to improve.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Turkey! LOL

I will get a SIM card when we land in Provo and then catch our charter over to N. Caicos -- have to send pics back to torture all of my land-locked friends!! Plus, hoping my dear son makes it back to the States in one piece! In Ibiza now -- Luckyyyyy!

Our villa owner said we can call using a credit card so that's always a fallback. $$$

My husband is in the middle of something so he rented a satellite phone -- this saved our trip which would have been cancelled otherwise.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll let you know how the phone works!

Sheila
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Just FYI, I was able to buy a SIM card at the IGA and phone works fine. Card is good for 2 years. I wasn't able to get one on North Caicos as they were out of them so I cannot comment on whether it works there. However, the sat phone worked fine -- when it wasn't storming anyway.

Sheila