Search

Tropical Storm Jeanne

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:20 AM
caribtraveler

Tropical Storm Jeanne

Ugh!
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh.../141445.shtml?

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about it. I'm sitting right here in it.

I just hope it doesn't turn into Hurricane Jeanne and head to the already devastated areas.

I've lived in the Caribbean for nearly 12 years and this is by far the busiest season I've EVER seen.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM
caribtraveler

I don't live in the Caribbean (not as lucky as you) but I have gone for several years now and I don't remember such a busy season ever.
I hope you'll be okay.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I'll be fine, Caribtraveler, since she's still a TS, rather than a hurricane. (I hope it stays that way, though).

I will admit, however, that my husband just left for the US yesterday and this will be my first one to ride out alone, so I'm sure it's gonna be a bumpy night.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM
OO

Statia!! I'm sorry I was completely unaware that Jeanne was near you! Somehow I was thinking she was further north.

Can you go to your gf/boss' house for this...I hate to think of you weathering this alone. Even tropical storm force winds are scarey, so we learned last week, and the damage around here is incredible just from Frances. Trees are down all around south Tampa and we have damage to our docks and boardwalk as well, to say nothing of all the food that spoiled without electricity. So....thinking back to a week ago, I would not have wanted to be by myself and hope you won't stay alone either!

Hope all is OK in Houston...do let me know! I'm off to Dallas tomorrow but will be checking email. Stay safe Statia!! hugs....
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Hi OO,

Thanks for your concern. I battened everything down at home yesterday evening, have my flashlights ready, as well as my slicker for when I have to take the dogs out or rescue drowning turtles. I will probably stay home unless the winds continue to increase. If they do, then I will to stay with my girlfriend and her hubby.

I do agree, however, that even tropical storm force winds and rain can be quite scarey. DH is worried about me down here, but I keep reassuring him that it's not as if it's a hurricane....yet.

Still awaiting word from him in Houston. He was seeing first dr. this a.m. I'll let you know what I hear.

Have fun in Dallas! I'll be in touch.

Big hugs!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Uh oh looks like Miami hurricane center upgraded Jeanne at 5 pm today. Winds at 60 mph up from 40 and strengthening. At what point is she a hurricane? As a FL resident who just went through two hurricanes I am already watching hte projected path which has her landfalling (if ever) in the US in the Hilton Head area. Of course that is days away and most likley way off but stay tuned . . .
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:53 PM

sunlover, a tropical storm officially becomes a category one hurricane when the maximum sustained winds reach 86 mph. I agree that I will be watching Jeanne closely for fear that she is headed to already devastated areas, which do not need any more adverse weather, much less a hurricane.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:21 PM

OOH almost -- I am a lifelong South Florida girl & was born knowing that it's a hurricane at 75 mph. To wit: Category One Hurricane:
Winds 74-95 mph (64-82 kt or 119-153 km/hr). Storm surge generally 4-5 ft above normal. (Courtesy of the National Hurricane Center). They're all bad -- we had Isabel in DC last year; "only" 70-75 mph -- no electricity for 8&1/2 days and the loss of so many old beautiful trees was horrifying. I can't even look at the pics from Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grenada & the Bahamas!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Your absolutely right, Mary. I was going with what was off the top of my head, rather than taking the time to double check the info. Too much hurricane info being thrown at me this season and my brain is in overload.

Having lived in the island hurricane belt for nearly 12 years and the Gulf Coast all my life before that, I should have known better. Or, perhaps it was too much wine last night.

Thanks for the correction.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:15 AM
caribtraveler

Statia: How are you doing? Did the storm pass you yet? Or is it happening right now in your area?

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:24 AM

It's still over us with very dark skies, rain and wind gusts, but it is not as bad as yesterday. As slow as it's moving, I imagine it will still be over us all day today and hopefully will clear up tomorrow.

I'm hoping it doesn't strengthen much more as it heads to Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and who knows where else that doesn't need it.

Thanks for asking, caribtraveler.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
caribtraveler

Ok good re: not as bad as yesterday.
Well, the Natl. Hurricane Center says it could become a hurricane today.
We have an anniversary trip in 2 weeks. We originally were going to the Bahamas. Frances took care of that.
We're now scheduled to go to Peter Island, BVI. We'll see how that goes.

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:44 AM

I hope you can keep your plans, Caribtraveler. At least it's still a minimal storm, as far as hurricanes go. Hopefully it won't strengthen much more. I'll be keeping track of it, along with Ivan.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:13 AM

as you guys know I am tracking htis one closely as well for two reason 1) I live in FL and do not want more damage and the power to be out a again (a third time woudl test event he most even tempered person's patience) and 2) I am interested because I have an Oct 20 trip to Carib planned.

Miami hurrican center reported at 11 am winds are now sustained at 70 mph adn strenghtening. According to y'alls earlier helpful posts we are ont he verge of a hurricane. Please stay safe Statia and all!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:21 AM

what island do you live on Statia?
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks, sunlover. We still have dark skies, thunder and rain, but not really any more wind at this time. The satellite looks like there's just a whole mess of weather over this entire region, though, so I guess it's not going to completely clear up any time soon.

Kristen, I live on St. Eustatius smack in the middle of Saba, St. Maarten, St. Barth's, and St. Kitts. It's affectionately known as "Statia."