Search

Trip to Mayaguez

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Mayaguez

My husband, 2 1/2 year old and I will be taking a 5 night trip to Puerto Rico In August. Our final destination is Mayaguez to visit family. We planned on spending the first few days taking our time and doing some sight seeing or staying at a nice resort then spending the last few nights with family. Anybody have suggestions on those first few nights? We're not really into checking out all the historic stuff, but maybe hitting a beach or two, caves, I thought about El Yunque. I'd kinda like to get out of San Juan and not stick around there too much so we can see other things than just a big city. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Rob

Consider driving to Dorado and saying at the Embassy Suites for the first two days. On day 3 head for Mayaguez with a stop to visit the Caves at Camuy.

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Rob! So you think our time would be better spent doing Dorado and the Caves, then Fajardo with the rainforest and biobay. How far do you think the caves are from Mayaguez? Would it be possible to visit them in half a day while we're staying in Mayaguez?
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Rob

You can do the Caves in half a day from Mayaguez. The Rain forest is east of SAn
Juan and Fajardo is as far east as you can go. To do Bio Bay I believe you have to do it from Vieques. If you go to Vieques you will have to overnight in Vieques. To enjoy the Rain Forest you have to hike - not a good idea with a young child. Since you indicated you want some beach time at a resort Dorado would be a good choice.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM

You can tour a bio bay in La Parguera, which is not too far from Mayaguez - maybe 45 minutes. I've never done the tour, I've only been there during the day, but it's supposed to be nice. The caves are definitely a day trip from Mayaguez - they're very cool...but make sure you get there early!