Trip Report - Negril - Beach and Cliffs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I wanted to thank so many of you for your helpful advice before my trip. It was incredibly helpful. Now, here's my report:

Stayed at Idle Awhile for 5 days and Tensing Pen for 4 days. Both places were wonderful.

I took a cab ($50 US) from MoBay to Negril and even though he had AC, I enjoyed the wind on my face and the good conversation I had with the driver. He stopped and bought me a beef pattie so I'm a definite fan!

Idle Awhile was exactly as it was described and looks on the website. The staff there is friendly, the landscaping is lush and creative and ensures privacy, and the security knew just when you wanted to talk to a passing vendor, and when to step in and tell an admirer to "keep moving". The water on 7 mile beach is beautiful and warm and I believe 1 part sun, 1 part water, and 1 part aloe-rub on the beach will cure WHATEVER AILS YOU!

Tensing Pen was even more beautiful than Idle Awhile. I stayed at the Rock House I which was right on a cliff overlooking the carribean sea. There were fresh flowers on my bed and beautiful gauzy mosquito netting that I quickly learned is meant to be USED and not admired! Dinner (prepared several times a week) was outstanding and in marked contrast to the casual continental breakfast which was equally wonderful (blue mountain coffee with condensed milk and warm toast anyone?).

All in all, I'm really glad I didn't go all-inclusive. I found so many cool (and inexpensive) places to eat. My two favorites were Coconut International (an unassuming place on the beach with some of the best curry and rice I've ever tasted - and I'm west indian!) and Sweet Spice (which outdoes Jucy J several times over in cost, taste, and service).

On tivertonhouse's recommenation I contactacted Solomon Kerr for a tour. He was exactly as promised - timely, professional, and very knowledgable about the island. I wish I could say that I spent more time at typical tourist places, but I actually met some wonderful folks in Jamaica and had more fun just hanging out with them and partying than anything else.

Bottom line is that I LOVE NEGRIL and plan to go back as early as the end of this year. I enjoyed the people, the food, the music, and the accomodations, and signs. I felt safe the whole time and provided a bit of common sense, anyone will feel the same way.

The only thing I will have to get smarter on the next time around is the US / Jamaican $$ conversion. I'm still not sure if its smarter to use US or Jamaican dollars although I'm leaning toward the latter and believe you should do the exchange at the bank and not the airport!

Thanks for all of your input. I wouldn't have had the courage to do this without it!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Oh yea, I almost forgot the three things you MUST pack when going to Jamaica: deep woods off, calamine lotion, and a travel citronella candle! Trust me, you'll be happy you did!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I could not be more happy wiht your advice on packing the last 3 essentials. For some reason I am a mosquito magnet, and my last trip to T&C Islands was wonderful, but my worst memory was getting bites from head to toe...
I am so happy I just read this post, as I now have to run out to get these 3 essentials.
Great trip report!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:05 PM

ReadytoGo17:After all your planning and potental trepidations, I'm so glad you
enjoyed your trip to the max and got
addicted to island. There is no cure, btw.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the neat report!

We have Solomon scheduled to pick us up at Sangster in a few weeks. Will probably get him to take us to Benji's &/Treasure Bay.

The Idle Awhile portion of your report was of special interest as we have reservations there. Will be our first non-inclusive Jamaican adventure.

Were the mosquitos bad at Idle Awhile or mostly just at the cliffs?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Glad you had a Great Time !!! and Thanks for the tips. There is some stuff my wife gets at the health food store that she claims works better than off, it definately smells better. I'll check it out and post. Dumb question but What, Where is Benji's? & Related to Benji the Poster with Good Info?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

No clue what Benji's is, but the mosquitos were the worst on the cliffs. This dosen't mean to forget the 3 essentials - because I got bit plenty while hanging out on the porch at Idle Awhile reading
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:16 AM

Glad you had a good time. We enjoyed Soloman too & had a wonderful time touring with him.

Benji is a Rasta man that has a wonderful place to explore. There is a bit of everything to see there- foliage, water & all the Jamaican creatures (birds & things). They do a deal with lunch that is supposed to be great. Here is a couple of links that will give you more info.
http://www.negril.com/config.pl?read=92771
http://www.negril.com/config.pl?read=86960

Benji & I are only related by love of Negril!

Benj

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:58 AM

Great trip report, and it sounds like your vacation was just fantastic.

I've booked our flights last night for 10 nights in August (5 in Negril at Isle Awhile, 5 in Ochi at Jamaica Inn).

You sound just like us! We always have a list a foot long of things to do and see, but then we meet some people and just end up going to local parties and limin' wit folks.

We love local food, so will have to try out your recommendations.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:22 AM

I am glad you wrote - I have been talking to the Idle Awhile about reservations for next April 05. I have tentatively booked at this point but have been apprehensive about actually giving a deposit. I am afraid without first hand knowledge of a place since we all know that brochures and web pictures can be deceiving. Some of the things I have read on this bulletin board about OTHER places I have considered has scared me from actually making the move. please give me more feedback on the Idle Awhile - should we pay the extra for an ocean room or is the garden room ok. I have reserved a deluxe room. Also what about the chef who will cook for you? Is that something to consider? Is there a place to buy groceries in Negril and can you buy wine for your room from the store etc. Safety? Prices on dinners - what would it cost for a day for meals ? We were looking into All Inclusives but the more I thought about it for the price you are stuck right on the property and eating their food. I think we would enjoy the activities at an AL and the water sports but then I would never get a chance to visit the area. I think it would be nice to have all your food and drink paid for but I have read horror stories about that too. It would be nice to have beach dinner parties etc but not sure if that is all it is cracked up to be either. Please give more tips on where to eat and the Idle Awhile.
Thanks
Betty
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:02 AM

betty,

Put your mind at ease about Idle Awhile.

I am totally overboard with my research about staying at a place until I have done major research on multiple travel forums and boards, and I have yet to see any negative posts re Idle Awhile.

To see some firsthand, check out tripadvisor.com

We used to pay the extra money to upgrade, but found we spend so little time in the room, it was really not worth it. Our rule is if it's not much more ($10 to $15 per night, we do it.)

I think you can only get the chef if you get the 1 BR suite, and it's an extra $20 per day. I think this is a cool idea for a day or so, but there are so many good places to eat, I'd NEVER do AI.

Let's see what kind of responses we get!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM

I have stayed at Idle Awhile the last 2 New Year's and love it.....it's a great little hotel and it's located on the best part of the 7 mile beach. I always book the oceanfront room, either the upstairs or the lower level next to the path...they have wonderful verandahs or patios with couches and a ceiling fan....the upstairs rooms have a high ceiling which I liked, but the lower level room was easy to walk into for a beer! Idle Awhile is owned by the same couple that own the all- inclusive Swept Away property and is very upscale and clean. The place is very safe and I have walked up and down that beach at all hours w/ my husband and never felt threatened. I really enjoy the lounge chairs w/ these comfortable cushions that you can take in the ocean to float on...it's a small property and there is always a lounge chair and some shade if you need it. They have a nice little restaurant and always play great music. I couldn't get reservations this year or I would be going back...lots of places to eat nearby...the great thing about staying on the beach is that you never even have to wear shoes the whole week as you can walk to many great restaurants without taking a cab...e-mail me if you have any questions...I have also stayed at the Beachcomber, Xtabi, Tensing Pen, Samsara and will be checking out the Mariposa this year!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:26 PM

I am considering Idle Awhile for an upcoming trip also. There have been so many positive reviews on this property. I was surprised to find, however, that the only room with mosquito screens is the junior suite. This came as a direct email from the hotel. So it appears in any other room, unless you close all the louvers, you are mosquito bait!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:46 AM

I called the Idle A While just a few minutes ago and yes it is true they do not have screens in the Deluxe rooms, which is what I have reserved but they do have them in the suites and junior suites. They said that there is glass in the windows in the Deluxe rooms with Louvers and all rooms are air conditioned so if need be you can close the glass and put your air on and your ceiling fan - also she said they provide mosquito candles (which I am sure do not work. They don't work in Michigan , why would they work where the Mosquitos really know what they are doing? Anyway I am going to stick with the Deluxe room and take my chances - The suites is almost $100.00 a day more might as well stay at Sandals then. She said it has never been a problem with other guests but I think I will arm myself with a good bug spray before I go to bed - isn't that romantic?
Anyone find any GOOD airfares to Jamaica in April 05 from Michigan?
Betty
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Wait to get your airfares and you will have a much better chance at getting good ones - especially if you are going after Easter. (Sometimes you can't get much of a deal over or right before the holiday.)

I just booked mine the other night - $240 RT. (Plus fees.) Woo hoo!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM

How is the beach at Idle Awhile? Can you compare it to any other caribbean beaches?

Also do you have any pics from your trip?
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I don't think the ladies at Idle Awhile understood what you were asking...I have stayed in the Deluxe rooms twice and I am certain there were screens in all the windows...I am plagued by mosquitos and would have died if I was in a room without screens and we had the louvers opened all the time...I remember telling my husband to close the french doors at sunset so the bugs wouldn't come in...maybe they thought you meant netting around the beds or something.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:26 AM

To:itilson
I am happy to have someone say they actually stayed in the Deluxe Rooms. What do you think about uppper vs downstairs ? How are the deluxe rooms? When they say verandah if they are upstairs do you have as much room? I am concerned myself about the mosquitos because I get highly allergic to them in Michigan and down there I am sure the mosquitos really now what they are doing So that is good to know. I did talk to her and she said there was no netting in the windows so I am not sure what she is talking about she said there was glass I hope they have screens because I can't imagine but I suppose you could close the windows and put on the air the price of a suite is $100.00 more than a deluxe room and that is just too much at this point.
Thanks for the info
Betty
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM

Hi, Betty....there are only 4 beachfront deluxe room, 2 up and 2 down. The 2nd floor rooms have the high ceilings which make them seem a bit bigger. The patio on the lower rooms and the verandahs up are the same size. I liked the lower level room because you didn't have to go up steps and the patio views are unobstructed by the balcony's wall when you are sitting on the couches. Even though these rooms are beachfront, you are situated well back from the beach and there is a grassy area and landscaping...you can see the water, but it's not a panoramic view or anything. If you stay on the lower level, be sure to ask for the room next to the path, not the one next to the fence and Cocolapalm...there was an a/c unit that made a lot of noise when we stayed in that room....however, it was very private. The beds were very comfortable and they had rooms safes & TV's. No refrigerator, but you can ask for a cooler when you make your reservations and get ice from the bar every day. If you look at the deluxe room on their website, that is the picture of the lower level room next to the path...we spent a lot of time on the patio on those red couches..let me know if you have any other questions...we are going back to Negril again after Christmas...My e-mail is [email protected]. Lori
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM

I have made a reservation twice at Idle Awhile and had to cancel both times for personal reasons. They were great about refunding my deposit in a timely manner on both occasions. If you would like to read some trip reports and see some pictures of this resort, go to Lizbeth.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -