Traeling to St barts

Jul 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Traeling to St barts

Hi

Upon landing in St. Martin would you suggest taking the ferry or fly to St. Barts?

Thank You
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Flying will get you there faster (10 minute flight) but will cost more. Some people don't like flying because you fly in a small plane and the landing in St. Barts is something akin to a roller coaster ride. On the other hand the ferry is less expensive but it takes longer (about 45 to 60 minutes) and the ride over can be a bit rough.

It's realy a matter of personal choice.
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi

I was just thinking that the ferry would be a different fun way to get to St. Barts and a change from all plane travel but I will have to consider rough waters vs a roller coaster ride. The extra time does not bother me.
Thanks for the advice.
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM

The ferry is not necessarily longer than the flight depending on when you are travelling.

Their are very few flights a day in low season, so you could spend a good long while hanging about at St Maarten airport, regardless of what time is indicated for take off on your ticket.

At least the ferries leave when they say they are going to leave, and you can wander around, or sit at a cafe at any of the ferry ports.

Private boats really are the way to go. Even rent one for a half day, and take a few hours making the transfer in the lap of luxury.
Jul 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion.
I am going during the winter season but I do like the boat idea if it is not to rough.
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM

We have done the flight and a Private boat to St. Barts. The flight is nice because your there in 10-15 minutes. I would definitely hire a private boat if you chose to go that route. The water is definitely rough and the ferry would not be an option for us. We used Maste Ski Pilou. They were awesome! Private rides are very expensive, way more than the flight over. I believe it took about 30-40 minutes by boat from St. Martin to St. Barts. If your on a budget, go with the flight. And dont be afraid of the flight, just close your eyes and your their quick! Have a great trip! St. Barts is our favorite!
Jul 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank for all the great info
Jul 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi
Thanks for all the great feedback. I really appreciate it. Sorry we will not be going there.
We really did want to go to St. Barts but the cost of the accomadations that we picked were extremely expensive so we chose to go to Puerto Rico as we can afford it and will have a direct flight there. I am also going with someone who has stayed in the the hotel that we picked and really liked it.
So that is the story.
Thanks again.
Jul 24th, 2010, 11:00 PM

I am planning a day trip with 13 other women to St. Barts.
Is there anything else, anyone can suggest we do there? We are planning to take the ferry, but now I read about the flight. Somehow I did not know there was a flight to St. Barts. We are doing The Endless Dreamer Retreat for Women on Sint Maarten/St. Martin/Anquilla for the spa and St. Barts for the bautiful beach. We will be stay three to four days on Sint Maarten and three on the French side. I will be doing some workshops for women: Dreaming the Dream! Who I Am Really and more. It is so much fun. I have done these retreat in Costa Rica and Mexico. So if you are a women and want to do something so fun, come. Write me: [email protected] We are only taking 12 women with two facilators.
[email protected]