Search

Touring Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touring Puerto Rico

I am planning a trip to Puerto Rico in late June. I would really like to stay in the same hotel the whole time, but also want to visit the major attractions that PR has to offer (El Yunque, Vieques, Luquillo, diving/snorkeling, etc). I expect to rent a car; but even so can you do Vieques and travel back to San Juan in one day? Would I be better off booking hotels in two or three different towns.

Andy
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Just a warning - driving in PR is a crazy! I was stressed just being a passenger in the car!!
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Driving in Puerto Rico is crazy. But...to see the island you must drive. To answer your question about Vieques - yes, you can go and return to San Juan in one day. I did it - but, I went to Culebra (absolutely beautiful) - and it leaves from the same place if memory serves correctly. You will have to leave very early and give yourself time to get lost - just in case. El Yunque is not that far. I cant remember where Luquillo is - havent been there since I was a kid.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:56 AM

Most hotels have tours set up for the majority of attractions. That might be another consideration for you since you wouldn't have to deal with renting a car and driving. Just a thought.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:05 AM

PR is wonderful and driving is crazy. If the street is on the map it is not marked on the road and vice versa. Oh well. Just have fun and relax. you can't get too lost.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:39 AM

You could see Vieques in a day, but you would miss the highlight of a trip there - the bioluminescent bay. You can only see this at night, and there are no boats that return to the mainland late at night. It's definitely worth the effort to stay one night as the bay is truly awesome!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Bio Bay is well worth the trip to beautiful,unspoiled Vieques.I give tours every night, and the nights that it rains a lttle makes you SPEECHLESS!
The water looks like there are a million little diamonds sparkling on top.Nothing like it in the whole world!When planning a trip to Puerto Rico,Vieques is a must.This is the last "Down" Island,not yet spoiled by Mass Tourism.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM

just got back from pr. you can easily get to vieques and culebra and back to san juan same day. i actually stayed in culebra and took the ferry at 6.30 am back to fajardo to catch a flight in san juan at 2. i could have made a noon flight. i would recommend going to culebra and vieques, as they are the prettiest places in pr.