TORTULA OR CURACO

May 29th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

TORTULA OR CURACO

NEED HELP, I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT TORTULA. THIS IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. MY HUSBAND IS A DIVER , I AM NOT. SO I NEED A PLACE THATS SAFE FOR WHEN I AM BY MYSELF. ALSO I AM A LITTLE PICKY. THE RESORT HAS TO BE CLEAN AND I PREFER A JACCUZI. BUT WHAT I AM REALLY HAVING A PROBLEM WITH IS THE BEACHES I HEAR SUCH PROS AND CONS ABOUT THE BEACHES. OF COURSE I WILL HIT THE SECLUDED ONES!!! HAS ANYONE BEEN TO FOXY'S IS THIS THE BOMBA SHACK???
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS.
May 30th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Neptune, Tortola is an absolutely safe destination, with plenty to keep you entertained. (Of course, take normal precautions for your safety.) My husband, too, is a diver while I am not, and I'm often left to my own devices while he is diving, and Tortola gives me absolutely no pause.

Tortola's north shore beaches are lovely, and range from the very popular Cane Garden Bay to the more quiet Smuggler's Cove, Brewer's Bay, etc. There are also amazing beaches on other islands in the BVI. Some of the best are on Anegada.

Bomba's Shack is not the same as Foxy's. Bomba's (a sight to behold, to be sure!) is on Apple Bay on Tortola (north shore). Foxy's is on Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke -- a boat ride away from Tortola.

You may be challenged in your quest to find accomodations with a Jacuzzi. There are plenty of attractive hotels and resorts on the island, but nothing with the gold-faucets-marble-floors-room-service type of luxury you may find on other islands. Some of the higher-end properties on Tortola include Long Bay Beach Resort and Sugar Mill. I am personally toying with a fifth visit to the BVI in a month or so, and am considering Frenchman's Cay and Lambert Beach. The most "luxurious" properties in the BVI are found on other islands (Peter Island Resort, Guana Island, Biras Creek, Little Dix Bay), but these too lack what Americans typically consider to be high-end amenities. What distinguishes these resorts is their spectacular settings, privacy, and service.

Also, Neptune, please consider not using all CAPS -- this is considered "shouting" on the Internet (and is hard to read to boot).
May 30th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Okay thank you very much. I was looking at long beach, but I was told the beach is not that good. I was on the internet yesterday and a lot of people like Frenchmans's. which side of the island is better north or south??? Also what dive operation did your husband use and was he happy??? how far is it from the resorts to the dive shops???
Yes I know the Virgin Gorda is beautiful and can't wait to fo there,but i think its to lais back for me to stay there by myself. this is also our 20th anniversary. Tank you very much any other information would be greatly appreciated.
May 30th, 2003, 05:13 AM

People's opinions on Long Bay Beach Resort seem to be mixed. And whether the beach is a good one also seems to be a matter of opinion. It is a long, beautiful white sand beach, but there are large rocks near the water's edge that make it difficult for swimming EXCEPT at the far west end of the beach. In the winter, where most north-facing beaches have a significant swell, even the west end may be difficult to swim; but in the summer months, there is just a touch of swell and surf. Regardless, the beach is great for walking and lovely to look at.

If you are looking for beaches, the north shore is best. The south shore is where most of the activity is -- Roadtown, shopping, many restaurants (although the Cane Garden Bay area, which is on the north shore, has plenty of action as well). I think that most of the dive shops are located on the south shore.

My husband dived with Underwater Safaris and was quite pleased with them. There are plenty of other reputable companies as well. Obviously, the distance from your hotel to the dive shop will vary with the hotel and the dive shop your husband uses.

There is LOTS of advice to be had about the BVI on www.traveltalkonline.com.
May 30th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Your title says Tortola or Curacao.
My husband received his Diving magazine a few issues back and it featured Curacao with a disk enclosed. The underwater scenes were fantastic! They also showed the hotels and diving sites. The Marriott Hotel looked beautiful. We were in Curacao at the underwater park while on a Royal Caribbean cruise and we loved the beach and the pastel colored houses on the island. The people were very friendly and there were many workers over from Holland.
May 30th, 2003, 11:13 AM

This question is almost like trying to answer which is better the east or west side of the Caribbean? Tortula has some very intriguing sites in which to dive with sunken ships, but Curacao also has some spectacular diving with good visability. You would be safe in either place by yourself. Frenchman's is nice and has the Clubhouse restuarant(good food). Curacao also has nice hotels. We like the Marriott(the area surrounding the pool is gorgeous with gardens, is nicely furnished and very lovely), but many divers choose the Habitat Curacao. That property also has very nice gardens. Tortola has the Cane Garden Bay, where you could enjoy a cold beer or a cocktail of your choice. And,if you're hungry, there is always lobster and barbecued ribs. Curacao also has beaches that you would like. Some with families where you could swim while your husband dives. Some have huts to provide shelter from the sun. Some have snack bars, but maybe just on the weekends. Either would be a good choice though.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:56 AM

I love Curacao, and have been there lots of times, but I cannot say that it is absolutely safe to go to deserted beaches by yourself. I have relatives who live on the island, and there is a problem with crime. Having said that, the beaches where you pay an entrance fee should be fine. We like going to Barbara Beach, the Seaquarium beach and to Jan Tiel (but we have amall children, so you may not like the same beaches that we do!).