Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please tell me about the beaches in St. Thomas!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fodorites,

We are booked for our second trip to Turks and Caicos for July.

However, I just came across an awesome deal for the Best Western Emerald Beach resort in St. Thomas.

For those who have been, what is the beach like where this hotel is? I read the beach is Lindberg Bay?? The beach is the absolute most important thing to us so I would be so disappointed if the beach was dirty.

Our definition of a good beach is clean, clear, no seaweed, turqouse/aqua/blue/green waters, etc... Does this beach compare?

What really appeals to us in going to St. Thomas is the ability to island hop and check other places out in the USVI.

We LOVED Grace Bay in Provo. Everything about this beach was heaven to us. Do St. Thomas' beaches compare? How or how not?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Denise
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:18 PM

I have been to St. Thomas a couple of times, and the beach at Meagans Bay, has to be one of the best in the world. The current was the mildest I have ever seen. I've been to at least a dozen of the various islands in the Caribean, and St. Thomas was probably my favorite. The Island is small, maybe 20 minutes from one end to the other. I'm not sure about Lindberg, but if it's anything like Meagans bay, you will love it. In any case a short ride will get you to Meagans Bay.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
cdt

Lindbergh Bay is a nice beach with calm water, but it is adjacent to the airport runway. Emerald is the best of three hotels on this beach.

I have seen the hotels but didn't stay there. I have read differing opinions about how disturbing the airplane noise is. Some say it's no big deal.

St. Thomas, St. John, and the British Virgins are incredibly scenic - steep green hills, beautiful ocean water, great little beaches. Note the word "little." Because of the topography, you do not find long stretches of beach where you can go for long walks. I believe Magens Bay may be the longest, and it's maybe half a mile.

Magens is in a gorgeous setting and it is a park with picnic tables, snack bar, no hotels. Unfortunately, it can get very crowded with cruise ship passengers. There are better places on St. Thomas to snorkel, such as Coki Beach (also popular with cruisers), Sapphire Beach and Secret Harbour.

You can also visit lots of excellent beaches on St. John, Tortola, Jost van Dyke and Virgin Gorda. Two of our favorites are Smuggler's (Tortola) and White Bay (Jost).

We're leaning toward Grace Bay for our next trip because we understand it's many miles longer than anything in the VI. But we'll miss the scenery.

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Love2Travel:
I want to ask you about Grace Bay. Is there anything else to do on the Turks and Caicos than the beach. Is the water calm for children to swim in? We have a wide variety of ages looking for a vacation next year. (children to grand parents). My girls are happy at the beach and pool, but I was wondering if there was a town or a few sights to see? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your informative responses!

To Girlonthego:

Grace Bay beach in Provo is breathtaking. It is stunning. The water is perfect for children. Very calm, and o current at all when I was there last year, and from what I hear, there seldom is.

As far as other sights, Provo certainly isn't famous for this. It is a very scrubby, flat island with nothing to really see. They do have activities such as island excursions, snorkeling, etc but nothing really inland. All the beacuty Provo has to offer is on and under the water.

The beaches are reason enough for me to go. They are so incredibly beautiful.

Good luck in your planning!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Denise