Tortolla recommendations

Search

Tortolla recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tortolla recommendations

Suggestions for 3 or 4 days in Tortolla anyone? Places in the moderate but nice range plus ideas of where to go (other than Virgin Gorda of course) would be appreciated!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:47 AM

My husband, our 13 year old granddaughter and I booked a package with the Sugar Mill hotel last summer for a 4 night stay. The package included a car rental and few small extras that we thought was a very good value. It's one of the more expensive places to stay on the island, but since there are no real high end places, the Sugar Mill qualified pretty well for "moderate but nice."

What kind of price range are you talking about? If you gave us your interests it would be easier to give suggestions to you. FOr starters, I'd recommend Smuggler's Cove and Brewers Bay for two nice beaches. Palm's Delight for some good local food. Sugar Mill Restaurant for more of an upscale dining experience.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 09:05 AM

We honeymooned in Tortola and stayed at Long Bay. Loved it. Depending on when you are going, prices will vary widely. Driving is on the left there, but is pretty easy and the roads aren't horrible. We did, however, almost hit a donkey head on one night. You'll wish you had more than a few days! Take the ferry from the West End over to Jost Van Dyke and have a Painkiller at the Soggy Dollar Bar or lunch at Foxy's. Great little place! When you ferry to V Gorda, go to "The Baths" but go very early to avoid crowds. Have lunch at the "top of the Baths" fun little restaurant! We took a plane to Anegada...it was a bit expensive, but SO worth the trip! An incredible place...the taxi driver will give you a mini tour of the island, then arrange to pick you up. Go to the Big Bamboo at Loblolly Bay...we were the only ones there for 2 hours...eerie. Miles and miles of pristine sand. They catch huge lobsters right in front of you, then 20 min later...lunch! I thought I'd be terrified of small planes, but it was smooth and the scenery was unforgettable. We did have trouble getting the goat off the runway, though. And the Anegada airport would fit in my garage! The BVIs are magical! Oops..almost forgot..Marina Cay is fun for a short stop. They run a free ferry over there.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM

LLindaC,
Sorry for briefly highjacking, but what was the cost to fly to Anegada? I'm assuming that was from Beef Island? What air carrier is it? How long were you on Anegada? Thanks for any info.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:38 AM

I've got a question too...i have been reading the old threads to take notes for out trip...where is Palms Delight? It gets repeatedly positive remarks!
We are thinking of a day sail on a cat to Anegada while on Tortola. Wonder how long a sail it is? Leaves at 8:30 an and gets back at 6 pm. It must be kind of a long ride!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 03:03 AM
owa

Jeena, I have read about Palm's Delight on the BVI message board. I also have googled it and the "gingerwine chicken" seems to be the most popular. I hope you go so you can tell me about it in January. I'm off today to see the Christmas lights in one of my favorite destinations--San Francisco. Actually, my husband has a meeting and I'm going to tag along. Happy Holidays everyone. Owa

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Owa-Yes, it is the gingerwine chicken that they have mentioned in old threads on this site, too!
I will google and see if I can find the location!
Have fun in SF!!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:56 AM

http://www.anegadavillas.com/map.html

This charter costs $56 per person round trip. We left at 8 and returned at 5. It is only a 10 min flight, but if you go by boat it's a pretty long trip. I knew I might become seasick on that long a journey, lol, so opted for the plane. You just have to have a fresh lobster pulled straight from the sea. Another thing we really enjoyed was the buffet on Wednesday at Fort Burt in Roadtown. A good bargain, great atmosphere, music. Jolly Rodgers in the West End is a lot of fun. Do they still have the $5 breakfast at Shell Factory? Talk about a bargain! Only time I've seen my hubby unable to finish breakfast. We also had dinner at Skyworld...it was excellent and a really fun drive!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Palm's Delight is on the north shore road (don't know it's real name) between Sugar Mill Hotel and Cane Garden Bay. I'd say that it's around one mile from Sugar Mill because we walked there for dinner one night from the hotel.

In addition to the gingerwine chicken, my large veggie roti was excellent. Portions were large, service was congenial. The building was a bright green color, at least when I was there, and it wasa close to the water's edge, but you'd never know it once inside the restaurant.

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the link LLindaC!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Palm's delight only takes cash, btw. We loved our dinner...the whole thing was something like $18.