Reload this Page >

Tortola/Longbay Resort??? Good spot?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Mary Nell Reif

Anybody gone to Tortola and stayed at the LongBay Resort & Villas? Or is there some other wonderful spot in Tortola for middle-aged couples who like to body surf, golf, play tennis and eat well???

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Dave

Hi Mary Nell- <BR> <BR>We stayed there in Spring '99 and loved it. No golf (anywhere in BVI) but surf, tennis and good eats are there. A truely beautiful beach, big pool w/swim-up bar&grill, killer views, pretty grounds. The beach is best for swimming at its west end (no rocks).If you're there in winter there's heavy surf, too. <BR> <BR>We particularly enjoyed the Beach Cabana for the surf sounds, privacy and beach proximity (a few feet). <BR> <BR>I've read about 4 - 6 posts on other boards by folks who have stayed at LBBR within the last few months and they're all real good. <BR> <BR>Better swimming, snorkeling and restaurants around Tortola. With everything within 40 min, LBBR makes for a great base from which to take in this excellent island. Take advantage of the variety. Rent a jeep and use the whole darn island!! You'll love it. <BR> <BR>Dave <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Karen

Seems that you either hate it or love and I am not one who loved it. Found the water unswimmable and so rough that you couldn't get in above you ankles. <BR>Even the one little area way down at the end where it is free from rocks was too rough! Rooms were generous sized but fell short of "quality" amenities including good management but nice line staff (other than at the lobby desk)!If you get a super special price might be worth it but overall, I found it way out of line for the prices it charges and the pr it puts out! No golf in the BVI's. If you love to jeep about huntng the few elusive wonderful beaches, take day trips to great outlying islands for sailing, snorkling, diving, and not much time being a beach potato where you stay, Long Bay might work for you! Didn't for this middle aged couple one of who loves the water and can body surf with the best!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Bill

We liked it just fine when we went a few years back. We were late 40s types then (I recently crossed into the land of 50!) and like active vacations. Having a 4-weel-drive for the whole week is essential, IMO (use it to discover a bunch of deserted beaches). Ditto taking a couple of off-island day trips, e.g. the ferry to Virgin Gorda (get a car there too and explore) or a sailinf and snorkling trip to one or more of the little barely-inhabited islands such as Norman or Jost van Dyke. The boat captains often come by Long Bay Resort in the evening to pitch their trips in the bar area. The front desk can also arrange trips (and I agree that the front desk folk are kind of slo-mo). <BR> <BR>- Bill <BR> <BR>Long Bay Beach is very beautiful and -- surprise! -- very long. Take a hike down to the left for the best swimming. We were there in December and it was great swimming, with just ehough wave action to body surf

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Bill

My just-posted message, above, is a good example of why NOT to upload to the Web after drinking a couple of post-work, pre-dinner beers. Ah well!