My picky sister needs Carib advice . . .

Aug 28th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Gracie

My picky sister needs Carib advice . . .

My sister needs help finding a honeymoon spot next April. She has a list of requirements, and although I've been looking, I've been having a hard time finding someplace that fulfills them.
She wants someplace in the Caribbean, very private and quiet, that's not "Americanized" (ie - no fast food joints and t-shirt selling vendors). She doesn't want any place on the cruise ship route. She wants a private one-bedroom cottage and she would like a private plunge pool or jacuzzi. She wants it to be right on the beach (so Ladera's out) and she wants excellent snorkelling. She does not want a meal plan -wants to be able to try new restaurants. And the hotel/resort should be smallish (less than 60 people).
My recommendation of Biras Creek (I just returned from my own honeymoon there and loved it) was scorned because the cottages are duplexes.
Anybody got any ideas?

Aug 28th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Katie

Try Laluna on Grenada..friends of mine just got back and it seems to fit all your criteria..they loved it!!
Laluna.com
Good Luck!!

Aug 28th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Cissy

How about a private villa rental on an island that fulfills some of her "requirements"? Or, the islands of Anguilla or St. Barts? Lots of websites to ponder on this subject. Your sister's lucky to have you doing all the work for her!!

Aug 28th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Penney

I would suggest that you look into the out islands of the Bahamas. there are tons of places that are very private, smaller in size, non-touristy, no cruise ships and some with small pools or whirlpools.

Aug 28th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Jackie

You may want to tell her to try Anguilla or St. Barths. They have some terrific resorts and those islands are not commercialized at all.

Have a great honeymoon!

Aug 29th, 2001, 03:00 AM
tivertonhouse

Honeymooners from Texas with very similar specs leave this Sunday for UNFORGETTABLE, a villa on the South Coast of Jamaica in Treasure Beach/Fort Charles. If your sister is adventuresome as well as picky, this might fit the bill.

Aug 29th, 2001, 03:04 AM
Christine

It sounds like your sister's wishes fit my honeymoon experience exactly! We stayed at SPICE ISLAND INN in Grenada on grand Anse Beach. Wonderful! We had private plunge pool with seclusion wall - food was top rate - service excellent - beach wonderful etc. Cruise ships do stop on Grenada but only downtown at the port - we found it no intrusion at all. Good Luck!

Aug 29th, 2001, 10:04 AM
AB

I had the exact honeymoon your sister is describing in July on St. Barths. i highly recommend it. I 've been to alot of the islands but it was by far the nicest!

Aug 30th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Gracie

Thanks all of your for your terrific suggestions. Doing this research for her has really got me wanting to take another honeymoon (I personally think we should all get at least one each year!) She is really excited about Laluna in particular - she's looking into booking flights now.
Gotta love this board!

Aug 31st, 2001, 11:57 AM
Julie

Don't know if it's too late, but I'd like to suggest Provodenciales in the Turks & Caicos. Although I'm not sure about accomodations, I think it meets all the requirements. The beaches and snorkeling are INCREDIBLE, and it is completely non-touristy.

My hubby and I went there on our honeymoon last year, and will be returning in November. We stayed at Ocean Club West which was wonderful, but probably a bit bigger than your sis is looking for. If you check out www.tc/links.htm you may be able to find the type of cottage you're looking for. Good luck!