Search

Top 3 Islands

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top 3 Islands

Hi everyone! I'm doing a little research as I begin plaaning for a trip to the Caribbean in April. Here's a description of what I'm looking for: gorgeous beaches, clear, swimmable water, decent snorkeling and preferably a hotel on the beach. We don't care too much about nightlife, but a place to hit some beach bars & casual food places during the day would be great. We also don't want a place that is too busy. Given these criteria, which 3 islands (and if possible, what area of the island) would you say would be the "best" to visit? The only 2 places we've been in the Caribbean have been St. Thomas (2 days; nice but too crowded) and St. John (Caneel...amazing). I can't wait to hear everyone's responses! THANKS!!
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Seems like Anguilla, Turks & Caicos, and the Out Islands of the Bahamas might be your best bets--maybe Harbour Island in particular. I've not yet traveled to these places, though, so I'll leave location recommendations to those in the know.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Anguilla (several hotels on the beach in varying price ranges). Actually not good snorkelling but amazing beaches. My personal favorite.
Turks and Caicos - again very good beaches and several hotels in varying price ranges on the beach. Good snorkelling also. Last recommendation would be Virgin Gorda (very quaint, nice beaches, good snorkelling. A bit difficult to get to than the other but totally worth it if you looking for peace and quiet). Look into little dix bay resort on VG.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I've heard great things about Anguilla and T&C. I'm not familiar with the Out Islands. We didn't get a chance to visit little dix bay or virgin gorda during our last trip, but they sound beautiful too! What has anyone heard about/experienced with Barbados?
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I LOVE Barbados! Bajan's are very friendly people.Barbados is lush and tropical.Beaches are beautiful, especially on the West Coast.The food is excellent.You won't find any 'deals' in Barbados.It is a pricey island.
That and Jamaica are my favorites.I loved Halfmoon outside Montego Bay.
Try Luxury Link.They have deals to differant destinations.I used them before.Saved alot of $$$$
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM

St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM

1. St. Lucia

2. St. John

3. Virgin Gorda
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM

LittleSalty--your problem is that you've been to Caneel, after which nothing compares. Barbados is very nice, perhaps a little busy for you, but has everything. Check out Coral Reef Club there. Grenada is lush, gorgeous, has what you want except for sppotty snorkeling. See Spice Island Beach Resort. Anguilla if you don't mind an arid island.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Well, the OP only asked for "decent" snorkelling, not "great" snorkeling and seems to have placed a priority on beautiful beaches with clear water--that says one of the coral islands to me. Caneel will certainly have spoiled Little Salty for snorkeling from the beach.

Little Salty, which one is more of a priority? The beaches or the snorkelling? Without knowing which one is more important to you, it may be hard to steer you in the perfect direction.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:48 AM

#1 Kauai, Hawaii (Kee' Beach)
#2 St John,USVI (Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay)
#3 Grand Cayman (Rumpoint and West Bay)

Christie

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:14 AM

If hawaii is too far look at T&C as it has it all. It is getting a bit overbuilt but still desirable. The Abaco Islands have some very nice places.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi again all! Thanks for the responses! I definitely prefer a less busy isle; I'd say the beaches are a priority over the snorkeling (my hubby is more of the snorkeler--but I'm the one who does all the research and leg work for our trips!! I'm interested in hearing more about the Grenadines and Grand Cayman too! I appreciate all your replies--thank you!!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM

LittleSalty,
To learn more about GC...I have pictures under the title "Christie's Grand Cayman pictures" and also a trip report titled "Grand Cayman May 10-16th".
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM

Having visited Anguilla twice I would say all the others mentonned above are far superior for snorkeling. For beaches Anguilla is as ideal as the others except it really depends where you are inn the Barbados. I love that island but the snorkeling is just o'k and some beaches are small and busy based on hotel selected.
Food in Anguilla tends to be a bit more expensive than most of those other islands mentioned based on last visit in 2004.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM

Eleuthera Exuma Anguilla case closed
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM

Mayan Riviera (beautiful white sand & clear turquoise water)

Antigua (beautiful beaches & a real Caribbean feel to the island)

Jamaica (beautiful beaches & a real Caribbean feel to the island)

Cuba (beautiful long beaches & loved Havana and it's gorgeous architecture)

St. Lucia (beaches are not that beautiful, but scenery is wonderful and has very South Pacific feel and is very romantic)

Sorry I couldn't pick only 3. I loved them all.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 01:23 PM

1. Anguilla (just there in March - the best beaches of seen so far and amazing restaurants - I will go back for another visit.
2. Grand Cayman (7 mile beach is beautiful, although Anguilla has better beaches. I visited Grand Cayman twice and like it so much we moved there and lived & worked there for one year. More activities, restaurants and exploringon Grand Cayman then Anguilla).
3. Turks and Caicos - goin in December. So although my feedback is not based on first hand experience it makes my top 3 list because of all the feedback I've received from people! I can hardly wait for this trip.

Lori