Tobago hotel recommendations anyone?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tobago hotel recommendations anyone?

Looking for a pleasant hotel in Tobago, been recommended the Hilton:
http://www.hiltoncaribbean.com/tobago/
However before deciding would be very grateful if anyone has any other suggestions. It's just me and the wife, want to avoid families with kids and loud nightlife (if such a thing exists in Tobago) and have a quiet, relaxing time on the beach, bit of snorkelling, maybe a boat trip, that sort of thing.
Thanks a lot for any help.

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Have you checked Trip Advisor? May be helpful (people often tend to be more specific on that site than on Fodors; plus comments seem somehow more balanced, i.e. not always just totally positive).

We honeymooned on Tobago 40 years ago. Stayed at a place called Arnos Vale. Most wonderful topography and spectacular snorkeling. But the place no longer exists as it did.

Good luck on your search.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM

My husband and I have stayed at the Hilton four times, most recently 3 years ago.

There have always been some children -- however, the place is spread out enough that you don't feel overwhelmed by them. Another however, we were there once when a charter flight full of families w/kids arrived -- quite unusual. As we're quiet, relaxed types, we were glad that happened on the last few days of our vacation. I think the Tobago Hilton is a good-value Caribbean hotel. Nightlife is very low-key. We managed to get a good deal on a suite the last few times and enjoyed that very much. The suite has two balconies, one with a hot tub.But the regular rooms are roomier than most, with quite nice bathrooms. The hotel has a few faults, but overall it is pleasant. There is always a strong breeze, but I prefer that to sweating in the sun.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM

We were in Tobago about 5 hears ago for 8 days and were disappointed with the snorkeling compared to St. John, Grand Cayman, Curacao-WEST END,Bonaire, T&C and even St. Croix. Tt was better than Anguilla or Antigua or Nevis but those are not snorkel destinations. but, if snorkeling is not important it is a relaxing quiet island. We stayed at the Blue Haven and would NOT recommend it. we had lunch at the Hilton and it looked much nicer but that was 5 years ago.
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM

There is an extensive list of reviews on My Tobago ( http://www.mytobago.info/ ) including one on the Hilton. This island always stays high on my 'future' list.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM

My husband and I honeymooned in 9/05 in Tobago. We spend a week in Speyside and stayed at the Blue Waters Inn. It was a wonderful place with a private beach. It was perfect for us. Not fancy, but very clean and very accommodating. There is NO nightlife in that area except for the hotel's bar. Also, if you are at that end, eat at the Speyside Inn. It was wonderful.
We also spent a week at the 'louder' end of the island and stayed at the Hilton. This was a beautiful place, but felt more 'fake' to us. The accommodations were wonderful, but Speyside was a little less touristy and felt more authentic. We did get to see baby turtles going out to see for the first time while at the Hilton. Have a wonderful time wherever you stay!