Calling all fans of Grenada and the Grenadines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, folks--it's me again. I'm planning a surprise trip for just my husband and myself, probably for late June or early July of this year. Our last 3 trips to the Caribbean have been with either my mom or one of our grandchildren, so we are longing for a trip just the two of us. I've narrowed down my choices to Grenada and Carriacou, but I am open to suggestions in the other Grenadines.

I think we have at least a week, possibly as much as 10 days if I budget sufficiently. My initial research has been a blast and here are a few things I'm considering:

Villa rental for one week on Grenada with our last 3 nights splurging at a place like La Luna.

Splitting our time between the two islands equally.

I have run across a darling little villa on Grenada called Gardenia Cottage, but so far can find no reviews on it. It looks too good to be true (a/c in the bedrooms, private plunge pool, walk to the beach), especially for the price, so would any of you have feedback on it?

Any word on Bogles ROund House on Carriacou? Where else would you recommend on this island?

If we don't do a villa on Grenada, I'm waffling back and forth between La Sagesse and Twelve Degrees North. Anybody stayed at both places to make a comparison?

I've been spending a lot of time on www.grenadaexplorer.com. Do y'all have recommendations for other comprehensive websites?

And Diana, if you're reading this, I'm still hoping that you'll post the remainder of your trip report after you left Grenada. You left us hanging!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Have you picked Carriacou because of the ease of getting there from Grenada? While Grenada is in my top two favorite places in the world, my next choice would be Bequia. Carriacou was nice and everything, but it just didn't have the character of Bequia. But, I might be biased because I have spent more time in Bequia than Carriacou.

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels, so can't help you there, but I understand they are both very nice. I do believe they are rather far from town though.

I'm jealous that you are getting to plan this trip! Good luck and happy planning!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:04 PM

No advice since no experience in that part of the Caribbean. Just wanted to say "have fun planning and going and enjoy!"
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

ColdSpec, did you do any snorkeling at either location, and if so, which was better? How did the meals prepared for you at 12 Degrees compare to what you ate elsewhere on the island? And while I appreciate your warning, I would never hesitate to visit the Bahamas, particualrly the Out islands.

caribqueen, I was leaning toward Carriacou because of the convenience, but I'm not opposed to learning more about Bequia. Can you fly there nonstop from Grenada? Where do you like to stay there?

caribtravler, thanks! You've got a trip coming up soon, don't you? Maybe Turks & Caicos? Then again, maybe I'm confusing your posts with Kristen's...
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM
owa

ejcrowe, We really liked Bequia a couple years ago. We stayed at the Gingerbread House. No A/C. My biggest complaint was the nosie from next door and the early roosters. Plus barking dogs. We went snorkeling everyday with the dive boats.

I also enjoy the planning! In a month we are off to St. Lucia and Union Island. Have a great trip. Owa

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Hi ej. Guilty as charged!

I'll give you some input on Carriacou. We leave in less than 3 weeks, and will be visiting Grenada, Dominica, and staying at Grand View on Carriacou again.

We had dinner at Bogles Round House. The food and service were superb and the hosts were so friendly and accommodating. Great people, and the daughter of the original owner/builder of the property.

Round House cottages are well-located and charming and the whole property is lovely. It gets great reviews on tripadvisor. I would not hesitate to stay there or to recommend it.

I am just a total A/C weenie, and I like a pool, so that is why we have chosen to stay at Grand View again. It is not a particularly enticing place, but is clean, well-run and comfortable, and close to town.

There are also lots of nice villas on Carriacou. You can look at Down Island realty, or if you REALLY want to splurge, stay at Las Tortugas. http://www.lastortugasvilla.com/

We made friends with the owners while on the island, and spent several lovely evenings there. It is AMAZING.

From what I have heard and read, Bequia is just a super island. We will spend more time there this trip. I've heard nothing but good about it.

As far as Carriacou goes, there's not really much to do or see in a conventional sense, but it took a hold of us in a way I can't explain.

On Grenada, I also thought about 12 Degrees and La Sagesse. Both get very good reviews and look very nice. We have stayed at Spice Island and the Rex on Grenada.

We are going for three weeks, but only spending four nights on Grenada, so I picked Grenada Grand on Grand Anse because of the price, the A/C and its location on Grand Anse. (We will spend very little time at the resort.)

I think you will just love Grenada and either/both Bequia or Carriacou. Let me know if you have more questions. We'll be back in mid-May.

Happy planning!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM

We spent 10 nights in Grenada in mid-February. I can't say 10 "days" because of the stupid American Eagle flights that land at 9 p.m. and leave at dawn.. Grrrr...
I have no idea what you like, but with a week to 10 days, I'd think twice about making the trip to Carriacou. I know it's close, but it still means packing, unpacking, packing, getting to the boat, etc. There's lots to see on Grenada. We plann to go back in November and we may go to Carriacou then, but if you want to relax, make it a one-island trip.
I'd spend a couple of nights on Grand Anse (we didn't), just to get a flavor of that area. As diana says, the Grenada Grand looks like a good bet for a few nights. Very nice grounds and locations,. although reviews of t he rooms are mixed.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM

I can tell you that the beach at La Sagesse is so natural and spectacular, you think it's the beginning of time.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:06 AM

Hi ej, Some info on Bequia. Flights are available thru SVGAir. I dont believe any of the commercial airlines fly directly to Bequia. Last winter I flew between Grenada/St. Vincent on LIAT and visited Bequia via Windjammer on the Yankee Clipper. Captain Julian is from Bequia which makes for a nice trip as he knows so much about the island. If you're into snorkeling you may want to give some thought to Mayreau and Salt Whistle Bay with a day trip to Tobago Cays. Just an FYI in case you didn't already know this (many don't) Grenada and Carriacou are a separate country from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Bequia is part of the Grenadines as is Mayreau. While I enjoy the islands you plan on visiting Bequia is my favorite.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

wow, thanks for all of the replies.

Marigold, I'm torn between spending all of our time on Grenada and splitting our time between Grenada and one other spot--whether it be Carriacou, Mayreau, Bequia, whatever. No matter what we do, we will spend a day trip going to the Tobago Cays. And as long as I spend at least 3 nights in any given place, I generally don't feel too rushed on vacation. So, we'll see.

vinceygirl, is it a shorter and/or easier trip to do Tobago Cays from Mayreau versus any other island? In your opinion, which of the islands I'm considering has the best snorkeling combined with the easiest access to those snorkeling spots? (and yes, i knew that Grenada, Carriacou and Petit Martinique are one nation, that St. VIncent & the Grenadines form another. that probably didn't come across in my post. but i think i may have laboring under the misimpression that despite Carriacou "belonging" to Grenada that it was also considered a Grenadine, but not any part of St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Does that make sense?)

After checking airfare to Grenada this summer, it looks like it will cost us around US $1500 just to get to Grenada, which eats up about one third of my entire budget. Yikes! So with 10 nights away, I really need to be cost conscious. I don't think places like Salt Whistle Bay Club are in my budget at this point. But Diana's Expedia rate last year at the Rex might have me rethink our plan--if it would be less expensive to stay there instead of a villa, I may have to do it, much as I would prefer a smaller place.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:15 AM

Hi again,

Just some more foor for thought...

It really depends a lot on whether or not you will be spending a lot of time at the resort.

We used to think we had to stay at only the "best" places - i.e. Four Seasons, Cap Juluca, etc.

After a few years of this, we discovered we were getting up at the crack of dawn, eating our $25 pp buffet breakfast, and then heading out to explore all day, coming back for a late afternoon nap and a shower, and leaving again for dinner.

There are quite a few places in the $100 to $150 range - Rex, Grand, Flamboyant, etc - that will give you what you want and not break the bank.

Plus, there should be airfare sales coming along before too much longer. We got Grenada in October for the low $400 range from RDU including taxes and scv charges.

On Carriacou, there are MANY nice places for $100 to $150 per night - including villas with pools. On Union, there's Bigsand, which looks very cool, and I'm sure there are lots of well-priced places on Bequia as well.

One of the problems with travel to Grenada is the airfare since it is so far south.

The Tobago Cays are breathtaking. Be sure to stop by Maupion/Mopion for a photo opp. What a stunning slice of paradise. We enjoyed Sandy Island too, but it's a shadow of its former glory after the hurricane. Where we stopped in the Cays, my husband snorkeled, but it was too rough for me, so I stayed in the boat. The snorkeling on C'cou kept me happy!

You may want to consider doing what we did - we went with no reservations beyond our first few nights in Grenada. I had info on places to stay on Union and Bequia and C'cou, but once we got to C'cou, that was it! We did get to Mayreau and Union on a day trip though.

I don't have a problem with moving from island to island either in order to see everything I want to. If I find someplace that makes me just HAVE to go back, we do!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:17 AM

ejcrowe: $1,500 just to get to Grenada?? Double yikes! Hope you find some good deals.
Yes our trip is coming up. Next weekend. Cayman Islands. We are SO READY to take a break from work.
We are also going to T&C but not till September. Kristen is going there a couple of weeks from now I believe.
I'm going to live vicariously through you for your planning. It IS a fun thing to do. Our 3 trips this year are already booked so I'm kinda bored Started to think about next year but too weird to seriously start planning those trips when I haven't taken this year's trips yet!

Diana: Did you decide about Sting? Are you gonna go?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:22 AM

Hi CT!

Actually, LIAT was having a ginormous sale ($35.00 each way) to go to Dominica. I have a CCF child there I have been sponsoring for 8 or 9 years, so I am going to finally get to meet him!

The only date that worked well with the rest of our trip was the date of the concert, so I guess I will have to just keep listening to my Sting CD's!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:26 AM

Diana: I guess I won't hate you after all.
On a serious note, that's too bad. I would have loved to hear how it went.
Please let us know about Dominica. My husband and I would like to go there for a "just us" trip in the future and I myself would just LOVE to attend their creole music festival. One day I guess...

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Diana, that's great that you're finally able to meet the CCF child you've been telling us about lo these many years. I can't wait to hear more about him as well as Dominica in general.

Aside from the villa, which is around $1000/week (great price, it seems to me), the two places we're considering most, La Sagesse and 12 degrees North, are right there in the $100-150/night range. I know I'd be happier at one of those places than a Rex-type because for at least 2 days of our 10 we plan to veg out on the beach with our books, and having the more intimate atmosphere would be nice. But if, when I get closer to actually booking, the Rex is significantly less via expedia, I may have to lean in that direction and just use it as a place to hang my hat.

I admire that you could travel so far without definite reservations, but I don't think I've progressed to that level yet. It would stress me out more not to know where I'm staying, at least on my first trip down there. But your spirit will continue to be my guide, Diana.

caribtraveler, have a great time in GC. looking forward to your trip report on that one. within the last two years there have been fare sales on american between Hartford and Grenada for around $450 pp, but right now they're around $750 pp. yikes! we plan to travel in june or july, and based on AA's previous sales over the last few years I don't expect the price to go down for travel at that time from Hartford. We'll just have to see...

But if y'all have more ideas to share, I'd love to hear them. I love this part of the trip--the planning really is a blast!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM

Yes CT, Kimani (CCF child) was telling me about that festival. I looked into it a little bit, and it looks great. (Dontcha just LOVE events like that?)

You have a super time on your trip! My cousin used to be a divemaster there, but we've never been. I'm sure you're excited - it's coming up soon! 8-)

ej, when we were at the Rex, it was very uncrowded, but I'm with you. I'd pick one of the others if the cost difference isn't a factor. We like the smaller places too.

As far as traveling without reservations goes, we started doing that a couple of years ago when we took a long trip to the BVI's/USVI's. We had been to Tortola before, but not to any of the others, and we were not sure where we would like it best. I got info for several places, and off we went! It worked out so well, we've done it several times since.

One of the reasons it seems to be OK is that we usually travel during off-season. I'm sure that would not work during high season!

The only time we had any trouble was when we showed up at John's Unique Resort (gotta love that name!) on Carriacou off the late ferry at about 8 pm, and the place was closed up tight.

We went up the hill to Grand View and everything was just fine. Shirley even rustled us up a late dinner.

I love the planning too! Isn't it funny - we can spend HOURS on the Web scouting out every single opportunity for a great meal or a fun spot.

Something I just found out about that I HAVE to do is "Fish Friday" in Gouyave. It is a little fishing village on Grenada, and every Friday, they have a big fish (and scallops and lobster, etc.) cookout with a street party. It's a big social event.

Then, after that, if I can talk my husband into it, there is a boat called the Rhum Runner that does a nighttime booze cruise. If you have never seen/been on one of these, it is too much. We did it on St Lucia and in San Juan. On STL, the darned thing did not get back until about 3:00 am. (The one on Grenada comes back at midnight.) It's mostly locals - tourists welcome - and LOUD!!!

I'll be back mid-May, so I'll give you the latest "scoop."
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Diana, "Fish Friday" sounds fantastic! What part of the island is Gouyave? I only have a guide book map and it doesn't show up on it.

I definitely wouldn't be up for a Booze Cruise--my bedtime is much earlier than 3:00am--but the idea sounds like a lot of fun.

By the way, how are the roads on Grenada? I've driven on Nevis, Antigua, and Tortola and none fazed me.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the "have a great time" wishes, ladies. I will of course post a trip report with some pics when we're back. After much research, we're expecting to enjoy the beaches/water/weather but not the crowds and americanization/commercialization. We have a day trip to Little Cayman which we expect to just LOVE. So we'll see if our expectations are met or not.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM

We rented a RAV4 on Grenada and were glad we had a 4-wheel drive, as much road constructon was going on and there were major bumps..
We've driven before on Tobago, including the more challenging north end of Tobago. Whereas Tobago has some flat areas, Grenada seems to be ALL mountains. Some roads are just fine; others are quite narrow with sheer dropoffs. That kep us from driving at night. We timed our trips back to the Bel Air so that we'd get there before sunset. Very few roads have names or street signs once you're away from St. George's. What with that and the abundance of roundabouts, we tended to get lost at least once every trip. The locals seem quite accustomed to giving directions to tourists. We drove slowly, and as advised by our car rental company, pulled over whenever possible to let the locals pass us. The local drivers are so much more patient with us visiting drivers than we locals are with visitors n Boston. Sometimes it's hard to keep your eyes on the roads and off the beautiful vistas -- but one must!
La Sagesse was our favorite beach -- if you're there on a Sunday, get their barbeque lunch. Yummm. You might also look into Lance aux Epines Cottages. Never been there but they have an appeal.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:48 PM

ej , the Grenadines are quite close in distance so you could spend a few days on each. mayreau has some guest houses. WJ crisscrosses sometimes so I'm not always sure of the proximity between some of the islands. WJ will visit Mayreau one day then a short sail to Mayreau or vice versa. I so wish I was going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -