Tips/Gift for hotel staff

Jan 29th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Tips/Gift for hotel staff

I am heading to Jamaica for the 1st time next week and prior to booking there had looked at the Dominican Republic. I understand that no tipping is allowed at the hotel, but wondered if the staff would be able to accept other items. I read about bringing down school supplies and such to the DR so was wondering if anyone has experience with this in Jamaica. Thanks!
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM

School supplies work, as do gift baskets with toiletries (like Bath and Body Works) or perfume, and hard candy assortments. When we ere at Sadnals Whitehouse, we left our OFF wipes for the beach staff - they were ecstatic!
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Oh - and be sure to leave a note stating that you are leaving the item for a particular person, or staff member. That way they are not accused of stealing and have it taken away from them. The staff is frequently inspected when leaving the property.
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Paulalou -

This is just the information I was looking for. I definitely don't want anyone to get in trouble or be accused of anything, so the note is an excellent suggestion. I'll get shopping!

Tracy
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM

When i stay in Jamaica for 2 weeks...round hill area or negril...

I simply get the name of the person assigned to my accommodations...and i give a cash tip in Jamaican currency at $3 a day.

Average yearly income for service personnel is as little as $500 US dollars....seriously.

Jan 31st, 2007, 07:05 AM

If someone has really struck me, either because of their service or their personality, I will also take a name and address and send a little something when I return home. Usually, these are people that I have interacted with more frequently and have gotten an opportunity to learn something about them or their family - that way the gift can be a bit more tailored to the person. Marbleheadguy's suggestion is great as well.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:05 AM

Leave a tip. Money is appreciated most- since the staff can spend it on what THEY want and need.