Search

How to prepare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to prepare

Hello, we have two families (kids 9-13 yrs old) renting a house on Guana Cay in March and would love any helpful travel tips - best way to do groceries? rent a boat on Marsh Harbor or use ferry service? need a golf cart on the island? any great guides for this area? Anything would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM

You may get more response if you put the name of the island in the title to your post.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM

I'll offer a few thoughts here, but would commend you to visit one of the two excellent Abaco message boards to get more information: www.coconuttelegraph.net and www.abacoforum.com.

If you are boat and water savvy, I would highly recommend renting a boat -- or a couple, depending on how many of you there are. This is a well-used mode of daytime transportation in the Abacos, and most activities are geared towards boaters (or at least accomodate them). Rent your boat in Marsh Harbour, buy your groceries there for the best selection (Guana's selection is quite limited, and there are only a handful of restaurants), and off you go. If you're not comfortable with boats, what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation is not the place to learn -- use the ferry. (I would still recommend doing your main grocery shopping in Marsh Harbour -- everything you need is close together. Make sure you stop in a bakery and get some of that AMAZING Bahamian bread.) If you're thinking about a rental boat, find out if your rental house comes with a dock, or whether you'll need to tie up in Settlement Harbour or Fisher's Bay at a public dock.

On the island, golf carts are the preferred mode of transport. As with the boat, RESERVE NOW. They are hot items.

Even if you're not boating, I've found the best guide for the area to be the Dodge cruising guide, which is updated annually. You can buy your copy directly from the Dodge's website at www.wspress.com.

Let me know if you have any other specific question, but I'm willing to be you'll get all the information you need on the sites I've listed. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Ordered the Dodge book today - and yes we are comfortable with boats so we will rent one at MH and we do have a dock with the house. I'll check out the two websites for groceries, but I've heard we should bring coolers with meat? Any thoughts? Again thank you!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM

In my humble opinion, I don't think you need to bring coolers of meat with you. The grocery situation in Marsh Harbour has improved TREMENDOUSLY in the last few years, and you'll have no problem getting good quality, familiar meats; you can also track down fresh seafood. You will pay a bit more, but I always view the premium as a price for having my hands free and a contribution to the local economy. So, unless you absolutely require exotic stuff, don't weigh yourself down bringing food with you, but do be sure to get it in Marsh Harbour, because the pickings in Guana are slim.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM

We loved Guana Cay! Here's how we did it - got a taxi van at the Marsh Harbor airport. This wonderful man took us to the grocery store and liquor store and drove us to the ferry. The day we took the ferry over had extremely rough waters! I was glad we weren't taking our own boat. We rented a boat on the Guana Cay for 2 days.
There is a grocery store on Guana Cay that we used, too; also a laundromat, if your house doesn't have the facilities. Visit Milo's stand for fresh fruit, etc. He's an island icon. We spent a LOT of time at Nippers. Great little pool, plus the beach in front is terrific. Good people watching (you MUST do the Sunday pig roast!) For your age kids, they'll probably be able to do some body surfing at Nippers(minimum, but fun)
We can't imagine doing the island without a golf cart.
We didn't bring much food with us. I think you'll find everything you need in Marsh Harbor or on the island.
Immediately go to the websites that Callaloo gave you. You will not believe how much information is there. I still visit the sites, trying to relive the trip. It was one of our favorite family trips of all time.
Enjoy!