Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Thurs-Monday enough time to enjoy Turks??Regent Palms or Somerset?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a much needed adult get away for late March/early April. Plannning to arrive on a thurs. morning and depart the following Monday. Its about a 4 hour trip for us (that's with connections) . We have been to many of the islands but never here. Do you think that is enough time to enjoy the island? I'm hearing such wonderful things about this place, I want to be able to stay long enough to enjoy it.

Also, trying to decide betweeen Regent Palms and Somerset. I know they are both amazing but I was curious if one might be more centrally located than the other?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM

hi coppertone, welcome to fodors. regent palms & somerset are next door neighbors. we do villas but i'd say among fodorites somerset gets the nod.
this map is useful: http://www.wherewhenhow.com/turks-ca...o-map-2010.pdf better if you print it as it's sideways on the puter.
for reference it's a little over 15 mins from airport to either resort.
never enough time to enjoy my favorite islands but your 4 days will give you time to get a feel for things & look around. provo has great restaurants. it is a very small island - to just take a look could easily be done in a 1/2 day. you will need a car to look around.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM

5 nights is much better than no nights at all! ;-)

Wait until you see that gorgeous beach!

Please tell us more about your tastes, etc, both are stunning resorts, right next to each other. (and tell us what room category you're going for)
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

We want to do a beachfront suite and want a very laid -back vibe...lux but hold the stuffiness. We want to be centrally located so we dont need to rent a car but we arent interested in the "see and be seen" type thing.

We really are looking forward to finding some great beach bars with fresh seafood...nothing too fancy for this trip. I am sort of envisioning the Corona Light commercial...just sitting on the beach with the sound of nothing much more than opening a beverage and feeling the sun.That being said, we do love nice accomodations and great service. And while we love children(we have four) we are leaving them at home..so the sound of kids isnt all that appealing for this particular get-away
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM

I think Regent Palms is more family friendly, so I think Somerset would fit better.

Most of the restaurants are the fancy type, unless you decide on a car. (they can be found by car)

While you need a car, sounds like you would enjoy West Bay Club. Luxury but casual, but still offers service by the pool and beach. Small and Boutique. There's a casual TexMex beach bar a 5 minute walk (although at night i would drive because you do pass dark section) You need a car for casual places that I think your looking for--Flamingo's, Da Conch Shack. Somewhere On the Beach is casual, and the Deck at Seven Stars is gorgeous, close to the water, with couches and fire pits. WBC is also next to Ganseevort, if you need a little bit of nightlife.

Being an upscale destination overall, don't expect the beach bars to be very casual except for the ones I mentioned.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM

We have stayed at The Somerset & Regent Palms and LOVE both. They are in a great location and you can walk to many restaurants from either...pick one of these--not West Bay Club, too far west to walk to some of the better restaurants.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. We have booked out trip and I absolutely cannot wait. We are doing Regent Palms are getting a fabulous beachfront suite.

I did want to ask about excursion charters. An avid fisherman, too avid sometimes, dh had expressed some interest in doing a fishing charter. I talked him out of it because I said we arent working on this trip and, technically, he gets paid to do that here. Soooooo, whats the best "fun ,catamaran , but they might have a fishing pole handy if he has to have one" charter? I have read a lot about Caicos dreams AND Beluga but I am thinking they may be very different experiences?