Hotel In Turks & Caicos- Need Help From Experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! I think my spouse and I have settled on the Turks and Caicos for our 10th wedding anniversary for two reasons- the PERFECT beach, and a direct flight from NYC. We only have 4 days/3 nights- so time is at a premium.

I originally thought we were going to book the Gansevoort- but now I would love to get some feedback on a hotel choice. We will be there the last week in October of this year.

We want something-

1. On a perfect stretch of beach (I am hearing that the Gansevoort isn't the best spot?)
2. Not over-run or focused on kids (we are leaving our 2 year old little guy at home since this is our anniversary!)- although I know that all hotels accept children there. (and we will avoid Beaches, of course! lolol)
3. 4 or 5 stars--very upscale-- as its s special trip! Cost isn't the major issue (we have been saving up

It would be nice if we can walk places, but we were already planning on renting a car because we knew the Gansevoort was not around much of anything. I assume a car rental is good no matter what, since the cabs are not so great?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM

You are correct that the Gansevoort ( although nice) is at the far western edge of Grace Bay. We much prefer to be more central and able to walk to other resorts for meals, drinks etc. For romance look at Point Grace ( even a sign by the pool says , quiet please) The Somerset or Regent Palms. All 3 are upscale , beautiful suites, great staff, etc.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM

I think all of Grace Bay Beach is stunning.
Gansevoort is really nice. You do need a car from there, it's not really walkable to anywhere. It's very modern and chic. It's close to off-the-beach snorkeling so the sand is gorgeous, but about 40 ft out there is some grasses (about 10-15 deep) where turtles nest. You can see it in pictures, even on Gansevoort sight, where the colors get darker blue. Still a gorgeous part of the beach, and prettier than other islands beaches. Gansevoort has a little bit (fairly mellow) nightlife.

You might also want to consider:

Adult Only section of Grace Bay Club. It has a gorgeous new upscale area, and it's walking distance to numerous excellent restaurants. No kids around that section, and an upscale restaurant that doesn't allow any kid under 12. Gorgeous property, nice clean white powder sand.

Somerset: upscale, with the prettiest architecture on the island. Gorgeous rooms (pick a sterling 1 bedroom), also walking distance to another grouping of excellent restaurants, small shopping strips. On a Tuesday night, Somerset has "Caribbean Nights" BBQ ON the beach-it's magical.

Both have service on the beach so relaxing is optimized, as does Gansevoort.

Other upscale properties, just a little more self-catering (but gorgeous nevertheless) would be Villa Renaissance and Regent Grand. Both are walking distance to numerous restaurants and supermarket. Both have gorgeous settings. More self-catering because they don't offer beach service or excursion desks for ex.

You picked a terrific beach!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the feedback.

I should also mention that I like a quiet ROOM. I read that 7 Stars has "paper thin" walls, so that is why I was shying away from that place. I will check out the others you mentioned.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

This has been very helpful (Blamona, just saw your post after I wrote the other one)...relaxation is the key!

We don't need nightlife- and will not be there over a weekend, so we know things will be fairly quiet.

I will check out these other options as well.... I really want this to be a special trip! I can't control the weather-- but I can control where we stay on this beautiful beach!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Also- I am wondering if I should stick with my original choice....maybe the location isn't a big deal since we were going to get a car anyways, and if the sea grass doesn't muck up the beach it sounds ok?
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM

I think the seagrass changes the view...you see a darker shadow off in the distance..We have been to TCI many times and have always stayed in the area I mentioned...BUT ,I like Blamona's idea of Grace Bay Club , Estates section, beautiful !!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM

PS, if this matters-- -the food and service is horrible at Gansevoort, IMO If you check this site and others when people ask about restaurants on the island...NO ONE mentions the restaurant at Gansevoort !
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM

Gansevoort, by at least Provo standards, is not quiet, and they have DJs on weekends and major sports games on giant screens on game days at the beach.

For quiet, I would pick adult only original Grace Bay Club, Somerset, Point Grace, Villa Renaissance, or Regent Grand. since you were leaving kids behind, I really think GBC (original adult only) meets ALL of your criteria.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM

My vote would have to be for the West Bay Club. My hubby and I stayed there for a week in February and it was WONDERFUL! Can you tell I loved it there? We stayed in a one bedroom luxury and it was perfect. Very spacious and upscale with 1 and 1/2 bathrooms. Main bathroom is huge. Beautiful view of the beach.

The beach at WBC is very wide. Free watersports and Managers Reception night. We are booking again for next year.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

I think you are right Blamona....we are booking tomorrow!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Wait...one last question....what about the Veranda? I know its an AI-- but just curious on feedback.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:43 AM

Veranda nice, new, next door to Beaches resort. BUT - AI -you will miss all of the great dining on the island.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Absolutely Grace Bay Cub as first choice on Providenciales. If you want proximity to restaurants while on a great beach. But if it's peace and seclusion you want, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Amanyara on the Northwest Point or Parrot Cay, a totally private island. The ultimate personal reset experience is Parrot Cay. Great beaches with no one else on them, rooms that exhale 'ahhh', the ultimate spa, great food.