This weekend for a Mom- Alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in DC and my husband has just told me that he will take the children for the upcoming(Ja. 21-24) 3 day weekend and I can take off to someplace sunny on my own. We've just returned from Puerto Rico so I'd like to try someplace different. I'm looking for a guarantee of weather 78 degrees or above, beachy, non-AI, no night life needed. It would be nice if it wasn't the whole day on the plane. I'm thinking beach, book, quiet, umbrella drink...
I'd like to spend 3 days with hotel and flight for under $1800. Any ideas and thanks so much for the advice. Threehearts
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Hi - try site59.com for good buys on last minute getaways. Personally, I love Anguilla and I think it's what you would be interested in but you will have to change planes in San Juan or St. Martin. I'm heading there solo early this summer for beach, books, & rum punches!!

Have fun!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, islandbeachangel. I have been to Anguilla with my husband and it is our favorite island for understated elegance, gorgeous beaches and privacy. I looked into it and there is almost no hotel availabilty and the flight from DC would take all day. Thanks for the suggestion. It was my first choice. Threehearts
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Turks and Caicos (Provo) sound slike it would be perfect for you. Similar to Anguilla in many ways and the flight is short!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Threehearts, you lucky girl! Don't know if there are direct flights to Barbados from DC but if there are I would suggest you check out www.peachandquiet.com. A great place to enjoy a few days of solitude, curled up under a gazebo with a book and a rum punch. Bliss!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Hi Threehearts, you were nice enough to answer my St. Croix question and I was going to tell you (remind you) that about a year ago (maybe last February?) the Post did a Travel section piece on islands that are a direct flight from D.C.--might be worth a search on washingtonpost.com to see if you can find it.

We live in Chevy Chase, D.C.--where are you?

Mary
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

marymarra,
We also live in Chevy Chase. Unbelievable! Threehearts
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:41 PM

I agree with starfish1 - if you can get a direct flight from DC to Barbados, then Peach and Quiet is a great choice.

It has unique architecture, a spectacular pool setting, very good food, friendly and helpful management and staff, honour bar system, great value for money and interesting guests, including some who are close to members of the Royal family.

On the downside - its rooms are comfortable but very basic - no AC, TV, or telephones. Also, although there is a captivating snorkelling lagoon right in front, the swimming beach is a few minutes walk away.

If you need more 'luxe', you could try the Little Arches - although much more expensive than P&Q, I think it could still fit your budget. Little Arches is across from Miami Beach which I found delightful and unspoiled, while still meeting the basic needs of beach chair rental and drinks availability.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone. I am going to explore Barbados and the great recommendations(although I'm leery after the post headlined,"go elsewhere&quot. I would love a nice beach. Too bad that Bermuda, the Bahamas and So. Florida will be too cold this weekend. I really appreciate the tips. Kristen 1206- I researched briefly, Turks and Caicos but their hotel availabilty was a real problem or else I didn't make the min. stay requirement. I'd love to go there some day. Threehearts
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:20 PM

I too have seen aggressive vending as well as harassment of female travellers on the west coast as reported by the 'go elsewhere' poster. I cannot comment on popular south coast beaches like Accra/Rockley but can say that I did not see any of this at Peach and Quiet or Miami Beach. Continue to do your homework and you will have a great time.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM

To Threehearts...

Greetings from a former neighbor. I lived in upper NW, DC for 7 years and always wished I had made Chevy Chase my home.

It is so unfortunate that someone like "Beanie" can make comments here that might affect the travel plans of so many.

It's one thing to post and say that a particular hotel/resort was a disappointment but a completely different thing to trash an entire island and its' people !

I encourage you to read some of Beanie's language again...it's very offensive.

I encourage you to ask Lois (Barbados expert ) and trust in your own feelings.

Little Arches is a place I have researched and is on my wish list.

I travel as a solo *senior* and I believe that the attitude that you project to those you meet is how you will be treated.

This is a great opportunity for you to get warm ;-) and relax and be confident in yourself.

Have fun and let us know what you decide !

Marion
Kennebunkport, Maine....BRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Marion- Kennebunkport- You lucky dog!! My family sailed up there many summers from Marblehead where we moored our boat and then we took a place on Gooserocks Beach. Beautiful area! I just looked into DC to Barbados flights and most major carriers are appx. 7-8 hrs. each way. This would leave me with less time than I would like on the island. I'll check again early tomorrow morning. Thanks. Susan
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM

to threehearts...

It's little connections like this that keep me posting here. I grew up in Nahant and was lucky enough to have friends who moored and sailed out of Marblehead. Goose Rocks is the best beach up *heah*....but we do try to keep it a secret.

I had no idea of the flight time to Barbados from DC.....geographically challenged as I am.

Would you consider Round Hill in Jamaica ?

Air Jamaica has good flights....and Round Hill has a wonderful spa. I would suggest Jamaica Inn, but that would add additional travel time.

Hopefully others will give more suggestions. Those of us in the frozen tundra just want to envision you with that book and that tropical drink and a smile !

Marion
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM

What about Aruba? I would think you would be able to get a direct flight. One of the low rise hotels might work for you. You could just relax with your book and cocktail and not have to worry about being harrassed. Its not my favorite island but definitely one I would feel comfortable traveling to alone.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Montego Bay, Jamaica or San Juan are the closest where you can get warm weather and water. Hyatt Dorado Beach is not far from SJU.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Wouldnt the travel time to Aruba be even longer than to Barbados ? Lucky Gal , a weekend getaway to the tropics ! I woke up to -28 here in Montreal !!! BRRRRR......
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Also, if you stay over at Miami airport area the nite before, you can get an early AM flight on American to almost anywhere in the Caribbean by midday. Great website for airline schedules is
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM
KXR

I would do DD. There is a lot of harrassment of tourist on Barbados. Just being honest not trashing the island. The island is very scenic but they need to address the problem. If you stay at the resort and don't venture out to explore you won't have a problem. But if you want to mix and roam the island and enjoy the culture, you will be approached.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Threehearts -
I too am in the DC Area (actually Fairfax, VA). I totally disagree with Beanie's posting against Barbados. We've been there 19 times and have not been harassed. I do agree that single women alone may be a target (I'm usually there with my husband).

But if you stay at a nice resort (like Coral Reef Club where you enter through gated grounds), it may not be as bad on the beach (although they are all public). We've usually just said "No" to beach vendors, and have not encountered that many.

On Sandy Beach on the South Coast they have beach patrols and have kiosks set up for vendors, so you don't run into that. I'd check out Coral Sands Beach Resort there -- if there are any rooms, it's a fantastic place, not too large, all-suites (with kitchens), and on my favorite beach in Barbados (Sandy Beach). Crystal clear, turquoise waters that are very calm with a sandy beach going out into the sea (no pebbles).

From DC you can fly non-stop on BWIA, but I think they leave at 2:30 in the afternoon putting you into Barbados about 8:15. That kind of messes up one day - but it's non-stop.

Your other way is on American through Miami or Puerto Rico or US Airways through Philadelphia. Both of these airlines means about 6-1/2 hours (including the change). Usually you leave DC around 6 or 7 am and get into Barbados about 1:30 in the afternoon -- plenty of time to enjoy your day and evening.

If you want to write me directly for my tips on Barbados (which are extensive), write me at:
[email protected]

Other than Puerto Rico being non-stop and possibly warm, even the Bahamas are not guaranteed really warm water or weather (more spring like). You need to go to the Southern Caribbean to get warm waters and warm air temperatures.

Lois
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Marion -- Keep it quiet about Goose Rocks, will ya?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -