Ferry from St. Martin to Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're contemplating flying into St. Martin and taking the ferry to Anguilla for our Anguilla honeymoon instead of flying directly into Anguilla (b/c it's cheaper). Our travel agent is nervous about this option--i think she's afraid the ferry might go out of business, be out of operation, etc. by the time we get there (in May 2008). She's basically just not familiar w/it. Anyone have any thoughts on how reliable the ferry is or if we should just fly into Anguilla?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:02 PM

The ferry is very reliable, and since it is for the people of both islands as well as tourists, the ferry is unlikely to ever go out of business. The dock at Blowing Point is supposed to be enlarged soon. To get to the ferry, you take a taxi from the airport on the Dutch side to Marigot on the French side(about 45 minute ride), then the ferry leaves every hr(I forgot if they leave SXM on the hr or the 1/2 hr). Or you can arrange for a water taxi from the airport to Blowing Point.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Ok, that's great to hear. I wasn't worried about the ferry until my travel agent said something this afternoon--then I started to have second thoughts. We can save so much $$ taking the ferry, so I'd absolutely rather do that, if possible. Thanks for your input!!

p.s. this is such a wonderful forum, it has helped me so much w/planning our trip. Thanks again!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM

IT's been a while since we were blessed to visit Anguilla (1996), but we took the ferry from St. Maarten, and it was no problem, seemed like a very experienced operation. It was fairly quick, and we saved money as well. Anguilla is a true gem, and we hold it in our memories as one of our absolute favorite places in the world. Dreaming of going back. Savor it!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:15 AM

The ferries between St. Maarten and Anguilla have been running for years and years. There is absolutely no danger of them going out of business. It is the only way residents of both islands travel back and forth.
I should think it would be better if your travel agent does some research before she tells her clients things like that.

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Plus, "the Ferry" is made up of a number of different boats operated by independent contractors who fill the schedule each and every day. There's not just "one" ferry going back and forth!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:22 PM

It will not go out of business, but it might make you seasick. I have known people who normally do not feel sick on boats get sick on this one.

GL
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:42 AM

Again, luck of the draw. Some of the older boats are small and kind of claustrophobic and seem not to take the occasional large swell too well; some of the newer ones have outside decks on top (smooth rides, too).
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Your hotel may be able to arrange for private boat pickup service from the airport in St. Martin (used by many Anguilla-bound tourists), which is, yes, more expensive than the ferry but still allows you to fly into St. Martin and is more comfortable and convenient than the "ferry" (which can be crowded, with a rough ride depending on sea conditions) -- they take care of moving your bags and help you in dealing with customs and immigrations in St. Martin and Anguilla.