Top eco-tourism spots in Caribbean

Dec 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Top eco-tourism spots in Caribbean

CaribbeanResortsWorld.com has a great article Puerto Vallarta's ecotourism industry. What are some of the better eco-tourism spots in the Caribbean and Mexico?

Dec 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM

Dominica
Guadalupe
Belize
Costa Rica
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM

Saba

www.sabatourism.com
Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Dominica and a few others are lesser developed and very much known for ecotourism, but as the Caribbean is tropical, you can find some wonderful ecology in almost any place.

Some examples :

Puerto Rico is, in many place, terribly overdeveloped, yet the national parks in the hills are amazing.

Jamaica has some rough and tough spots, but also incredible natural beauty.

My island (Grand Cayman) is often quickly overlooked in this area, and yes the main tourist area is very developed.. but just last week I took some journalists just a little off the beaten path to a) walk the Mastic Trail, b) visit the internationally renowned Blue Iguana Recovery programme, and c) visit our Botanic Park.

These were national press journalists who are not given to hyperbole, but they were blown away by the natural beauty and both how accessible it was and how few people take advantage of it.

I'm sure that story can be repeated in many Caribbean islands.
Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM

Don't forget St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago.
Dec 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Grand Cayman is working very hard at eco-tourism as Tom noted. Go to East End if you can. The 7 Mile Beach area is tourist friendly not eco-friendly. Saba is a little visited island and is a natural for ecology friendly (no beaches: sort of a Pitcairne of the Caribbean) . Nevis is also a natural. It is dominated by Mt. Nevis and its rainforest. Unspoiled and trek friendly. It also has a magnificent history including Lord Nelson & Fannie Nisbet, Alexander Hamilton, and the first resort hotel (Bath Hotel) in the Caribbean. ...not to mention the oldest Anglican church (St. Thomas) still in use and a myriad of other historical landmarks.
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Brutforce

Since I tend to favor these types of islands, my research indicates Dominica, Guadalupe, Saba & Montserrat. This is to say that mostly the entire island follows that mindset. Belize & some of the other places mentioned are over-run w/resorts & such. So, although some eco-tourism facilities may exist, the country/island itself may be already very much beyond help.